Looking to Purchase 46-47" LED TV

jvc

Re: Looking to Purchase 46-47" LED TV
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:45 am »
No, that is fine I'm looking at all of it, Plasma, LCD, and LED. No DLP.
Why no DLP?
DLP is the only one I'd consider, except for the LaserVue.
No burn in problems with DLP. No soap opera effect with DLP. No heat put out with DLP. Dlp picture looks more like film. And the biggest thing to me is with DLP you don't see everything in the room reflected in the screen, like with the others! Some say the others have anti-glare screens, but they're not anti-glare enough for me. I despise the reflecting in them. I had to live with the reflections all my life, with the old CRT tvs, because we had no choice. Now that we have a choice, I choose no reflections.
Good luck with whatever you get!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:56 pm »
Why no DLP?
DLP is the only one I'd consider, except for the LaserVue.
No burn in problems with DLP. No soap opera effect with DLP. No heat put out with DLP. Dlp picture looks more like film. And the biggest thing to me is with DLP you don't see everything in the room reflected in the screen, like with the others! Some say the others have anti-glare screens, but they're not anti-glare enough for me. I despise the reflecting in them. I had to live with the reflections all my life, with the old CRT tvs, because we had no choice. Now that we have a choice, I choose no reflections.
Good luck with whatever you get!

Why no DLP?

They are huge and bulky and wouldn't look too good over the OP's fireplace.   :wink:

George

bacobits1

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:29 pm »
George,
Exactly, Big Bulky and I don't like the way DLP's look physically. Over the fireplace niche will fit a 47" max perfect.
That AVS Site is overload! Very good though.
Everything you always wanted to know about TV's etc.etc. for sure.
Thanks for that recommendation.

Still don't know about Plasma. Between burn-in and humming possible problems. My wife would be really sensitive to a high pitch humming and buzzing.

I have to wait and purchase after Jan 1. Super Bowl sales?
Again, looking very closely at Amazon.
I will be in BB tonight looking closely at Pic Quality again.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:34 pm »
George,
Exactly, Big Bulky and I don't like the way DLP's look physically. Over the fireplace niche will fit a 47" max perfect.
That AVS Site is overload! Very good though.
Everything you always wanted to know about TV's etc.etc. for sure.
Thanks for that recommendation.

Still don't know about Plasma. Between burn-in and humming possible problems. My wife would be really sensitive to a high pitch humming and buzzing.

I have to wait and purchase after Jan 1. Super Bowl sales?
Again, looking very closely at Amazon.
I will be in BB tonight looking closely at Pic Quality again.

Modern plasmas don't have the burn in problems of the past.

Yes, there can be a small amount of noise with a plasma, but given that you are going to mount it above the fireplace, I can't see how this will be an issue.

I applaud you for going out and looking, but I don't think you can tell much at a Best Buy.  The lighting is crap, the source material terrible, and the configs less than optimal.  This is the rare case where doing your research online can produce better results than actually viewing in person.

Waiting until you get closer to the Super Bowl is not a bad idea...figure out what you want and track it.  See if you can buy with a 30 day price guarantee.

George

tvyankee

« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:11 pm »
Hey,

This might be what you are looking for.  47in LG is a good led based tv and with 240 refresh rate and for the price $1099 and for $165 for a 3 year extended warranty this is a great deal. Forgot to say you have to go to check out for the final price.

http://www.buy.com/prod/lg-infinia-47le8500-47-widescreen-1080p-led-hdtv-240hz-9-000-000-1/q/loc/111/sellerid/26006069/214687416.html

Just thought i would let you know.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:14 pm »
When you go to BB, measure the dimensions of the Samsung PN50C8000 Plasma.  HHGregg has the 7000 model, with the major difference being the anti-glare screen.  Now to be honest, I have not seen this TV.  However, I have seen and will probably purchase the 63 inch version of this model.  I actually prefer the picture over the Panasonic V's.  Again, don't know if this will be too big for you.  Here are the dimensions that Amazon provides:

Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 47.7 x 31.8 inches ; 64.4 pounds

Better still here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50C8000-50-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0036WT3Z2

Good Luck,

Randy

bacobits1

« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:31 pm »
tvyankee,
Thanks, Yes that LG47LE8500 is on my list.
Screaming good deal there. This model is the 2010 winner of "Best LED/LCD HDTV" on "Home Theater Review". MSRP of $2700.

rkline,
I would love to go bigger but my space only will allow a 47" max.
I did think of at one time just to cover the opening and flat mount any size but I just put too much into a whole house shutter purchase and don't really want to take anything further. 47" is more than enough for my size living room.

D

Doublej

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:46 pm »
If you don't want a glossy screen check out the Samsung LN46C630. It's only 120Hz but I think its one of the best out there for a matte screen set.

bacobits1

« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:30 pm »
OK, pulled the trigger yesterday at BB. The best package deal, Blueray player and Internet connectivity included for what I was looking at. Local HH Gregg charges $69 for delivery and setup. So that puts them right out of consideration.
Plasma was out no 46-47 size models. So we went with a Samsung UN46C6500 LED/LCD. It has gotten very good reviews and some criticisms as ALL of them have.
30 day return if I don't like it. It was stunning in the store. I am not a sophisticated video viewer (no 3D needed) so this should more than do for us.
I will have it on Jan 6 so I will comment more then.

Thank you all for the help!!!

D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:41 pm »
 :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm »
Geeze you go on the AVS boards and none of the sets are any good. Some people have returned like 4 of them? YIKES.
BB must go crazy.

No problem here. Fabulous picture actually. Yes, I have some clouding but you don't see that when the screen has a signal just changing channels.
I don't have the BlueRay hooked up yet. Suround sound built in here, that will be down the road.

It fits for my living room size and looks great.

Thanks to all who helped.

D

bacobits1

« Reply #31 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:26 pm »
A quick update. Everything is beautiful after almost a month use. Actually most if not all of the very light clouding that was visible is gone on it's own. Interesting, it has been said clouding can be cause by moisture too. Anyway it's gone.

I stayed away from Plasma initially because of the size I wanted (none at 46"-47") and that burn-in issue mentioned. Many channels do put that small ID in the corner of the screen. It had been mentioned that burn-in can happen after 7 minutes and will disappear after "maybe" after 4 days, not good. I'll pass.

The Super Bowl yesterday looked fantastic!!

A good purchase I would say.
Recommended.

D

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #32 on: 7 Feb 2011, 09:07 pm »
I stayed away from Plasma initially because of the size I wanted (none at 46"-47") and that burn-in issue mentioned. Many channels do put that small ID in the corner of the screen. It had been mentioned that burn-in can happen after 7 minutes and will disappear after "maybe" after 4 days, not good. I'll pass.

Complete hogwash......Damn.  :duh:

Congrats on your purchase though.
Bob

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #33 on: 7 Feb 2011, 09:19 pm »

Complete hogwash......Damn.

+1

Those of you that have plasma sets, any ideas why the 'fear factor?'

------

Bacobits - good to hear you are enjoying your Samsung LED/LCD and that it is working well for your family.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #34 on: 7 Feb 2011, 09:31 pm »
+1

Those of you that have plasma sets, any ideas why the 'fear factor?'

Ignorance?  :dunno:

My son has played the same video game for ten hours straight, with the same high contrast graphics on the screen with no adverse effect. My wife and I have inadvertantly left the screen on pause (with keeps the DVR 'pause' graphic displayed) for an hour or so, still no problem.

Bob

youravhandyman

« Reply #35 on: 7 Feb 2011, 09:51 pm »
I'm with Bob on this.  While you can "technically" burn in a plasma set(any display for that matter) newer plasma displays have technology to limit this.  You may get image retention, but that goes away by just watching TV.

Matt

Anyone that thinks LCD can't burn in just look at a POS in a restaurant.  If it doesn't have a screensaver it has some image burned into it.  It just takes a lot of effort. :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:25 pm »
BTW, plasma sales were very strong in 2010 and expect to be strong in 2011.  The death of plasma seems to have been put on hold.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Panasonic/Samsung/Plasma/Plasma_Sales_are_on_the_Rebound/6294

George

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #37 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:45 pm »

Thanks for sharing George.

Good for market dynamics.

And good to know I'm officially a 2010 statistic, and a positive stat to boot.

Viva la plasma!

jaywills

« Reply #38 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:33 pm »

kbuzz3

« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:54 pm »
My panny 46 inch G10 plasma just blew up a few months after warranty.  Looks like panny may fix it anyway due to some prior QC problems.

In any event, having gone through this in the past my guess is it will take a month to resolve.  Since im most likely moving anyway, thought id just buy a new 46  inch in the interim.  I love the panasonic plasma's picture quality (except the thx) but dont want to spend a month researching. Have any LEDs/LCD caught up with the plasmas in the past year?  I find the plasma more natural, less fatiguing, and better side angle performance....Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Budget is about 1K