True Grit

soundbitten1

Re: True Grit
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:30 am »
Saw the original Sat. night and the Coen bros. version last week. I thought the remake had better acting and was more realistic. The only downside was some of the dialogue was hard to make out.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:05 am »
I just got back from seeing True Grit.  Wow, it really lived up to the hype for me.  The acting was superb, the cinematography was great and the writing was terrific.  The girl that played Mattie was truly amazing- she'll be one to keep your eye on.  I can't compare it to the earlier film because I don't think I ever  saw it, but I give a big thumbs up to the new one. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:28 am »
Finally got out to see this one on Sunday night (my favorite night to see movies at the theater  :thumb:)....I loved it. This is probably my 2nd favorite Coen bros film next to 'No Country for Old Men'. The only criticism I really had was the snake scene. I would have rather had the reaction first, and then find out what happened. The way it was shot, it was sort of like a scene from Snakes on a Plane or something. But it's a very small issue....I loved the film overall. I also agree about Barry Pepper....just a fantastic actor who deserves bigger roles.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:14 am »
Yeah, the snake thing was a letdown, in great part because the CG was such a jarring disconnect with the rest of the film.  And the whole episode was anticlimactic, but of course I must blame the book for that.

kenreau

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2011, 08:06 pm »
I had planned on passing this movie up mainly cuz of the amount of times I've actually watched John Wayne's True Grit my whole life. But all these high ratings has me reconsidering. Plus I am a big fan of Jeff Bridges. Maybe I can find an afternoon next week w/o a college Bowl game on.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

I was in the exact same boat, Robin.  I recall seeing the original T G in the theater as a kid with my Grandmother and her jumping out of her seat with a scream when the rattlesnake bit Mattie.  I've probably seen it 25 times over the years and I can't say that with more than a small handful of other movies.

Bottom line is, I was not disappointed with the remake.  It is a great movie, well done and a totally entertaining ~2 hours.  That is a lot more than I can say with 90% of the other dreck churned out.  With the familiarity of the story line and characters, my notion is I would have liked it even more if I was watching it for the first time.  A lot of it feels the same, only different....

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:16 am »
Yeah, the snake thing was a letdown, in great part because the CG was such a jarring disconnect with the rest of the film.  And the whole episode was anticlimactic, but of course I must blame the book for that.

A "disconnect" is a perfect word for it. That sums up exactly how I felt about that scene.  :thumb:

Calypte

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:55 am »
I saw it yesterday (Jan 18), and I was a bit disappointed.  Note that I've never seen the John Wayne version.  Great acting, great scenery, great cinematography.  But to me the film lacked dramatic tension, and it was slow getting underway.  The confrontation with Tom Chaney was telegraphed in advance.  When Cogburn announced he was giving up and then she stepped alone into the creek the following morning, it was pretty obvious to me that they were setting up the meeting with Chaney.  I'm apparently unique.  My wife loved it, and a Facebook friend who recommended it was taken aback when I gave a less than resounding review.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2011, 12:41 am »
Finally went and saw True Grit today. It was really good and I really enjoyed it, especially for it's accuracy of that period in time. I'll be curious to see if it actually wins any Oscars Sunday. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Speaking of the Oscars, I still find it strange that Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino which was released last December was said to be released to late for nomination consideration by the Academy yet this year, The Kings Speech which was just released January 14 gets 12 nominations. Stinks to high heaven does the Academy politics.  :icon_twisted:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2011, 02:29 am by satfrat »

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:20 am »
It was a solid movie.  I enjoyed it, but I won't call it a favorite.

I think this spoof is hilarious, but you may not want to watch if you plan on seeing the movie:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945368

:lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »
 :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:35 am »
 :wtf:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:36 am »
The original is on AMC as I type this.

Calypte

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:19 am »
Unlike Randy, I liked the epilogue & thought it rounded out the story very well.  One of the best parts of the movie, IMHO!

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:25 am »
Unlike Randy, I liked the epilogue & thought it rounded out the story very well.  One of the best parts of the movie, IMHO!

I agree. It sort of defined the entire move, I thought.

mjosef

« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:04 am »
Saw this movie Saturday, thought it was well done, kept my interest focused all the way. I remember enjoying the original a few decades ago, but cannot offer a comparative opinion with the remake, I would have to watch the John Wayne original again.
That young girl should win something for her performance.
4 of 5 Stars.

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:31 pm »

4 of 5 Stars.

She was really good...I loved her non-reaction every time someone called her frumpy or ugly or whatever....I hope she gets more roles in the future!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »
Saw this movie Saturday, thought it was well done, kept my interest focused all the way. I remember enjoying the original a few decades ago, but cannot offer a comparative opinion with the remake, I would have to watch the John Wayne original again.
4 of 5 Stars.

Hailee Steinfeld did get a Screen Actors Guild nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role (won by Melissa Leo who played Mickey Ward's mother in The Fighter). IMHO, she deserved the recognition as she was that captivating.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

ajzepp

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm »

Hailee Steinfeld did get a Screen Actors Guild nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role (won by Melissa Leo who played Mickey Ward's mother in The Fighter). IMHO, she deserved the recognition as she was that captivating.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Even more imipressive is that she's only 14  y.o.... :o

Usually they find an actress who looks younger than their age, but in this case she is a 14 y.o. playing a 17 y.o. (at least I THINK she said she was 17 in the film...right?)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:24 pm »
Even more imipressive is that she's only 14  y.o.... :o

Usually they find an actress who looks younger than their age, but in this case she is a 14 y.o. playing a 17 y.o. (at least I THINK she said she was 17 in the film...right?)

Nope she was 14 in the movie also. I actually didn't know what her true age was but after seeing her at the Awards show, she looks more of 17 so you really surprised me with her true age. Maybe it was just the makeup.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

mjosef

« Reply #39 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm »
The day before I saw True Grit I saw another movie with a teen who showed an outstanding performance, Winter's Bone with Jennifer Lawrence...I would rate that movie 4.3 out of 5 stars...totally commanding performance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399683/