I think it's time for a new Mac for me?

MaxCast

Re: I think it's time for a new Mac for me?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2011, 05:39 am »
Thanks guys.  Proud new owner of a iMac 21.5"   :D
Now to transfer photos and music.
Sorry to barge in on your thread, Buddy.

Pez

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2011, 05:57 am »
Everyone's feelin' the Mac love!!! Congrats to everyone!  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:29 am »
Ney Buddy, you said you give files to your clients on physical media (CD/DVD). I've been using 'Yousendit.com' for years. I can't remember the last time  I actually gave a client a disk. They like it because they get their files immediately when they're finished and it sames me a trip or a courier fee.

Crimson

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm »
Ney Buddy, you said you give files to your clients on physical media (CD/DVD). I've been using 'Yousendit.com' for years. I can't remember the last time  I actually gave a client a disk. They like it because they get their files immediately when they're finished and it sames me a trip or a courier fee.

+1.

Cheap, very secure, and fast.

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:46 pm »
+1

I also have an FTP site that double duties as an online backup.

Mac is a great computer specially if you buy their top hardware.  Loading Windows in it proves to have even better performance!  :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2013, 01:24 am »
Hey!

Wow! Can't believe it had been 2 years since I started this thread. :lol: Well, guys I finally got a new Mac this past November....

Yup, 13" MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz i5. No I didn't get the new iMac. Believe it or not I got this on "Black Friday" off Amazon.com. I didn't plan do get it that soon. But I did noticed my the HDD in my old 12" PowerBook G4 started making funny noises, this was the HDD that I replaced the original one couple of years back. So, I know it is dying. Anyway, I came home from work that Friday night and saw an email from Amazon.com about Black Friday sale. I looked around and saw this new 13" MBP on sale for $1034.99! Oh! Yeah, free shipping too. The lowest I've seen up to that point. And to make this even sweeter, my Discover card was having a 5% cash back program if I buy stuff online using their card until December. Well, as you can see I went for it. :lol:

And guess what? One day before the new MBP show up, my old PB G4 wouldn't start up. I did a reboot from disc and got it up and saved a few things. Sadly the next morning it died  :cry: Since I always backed up everything important I didn't loose anything. So, I decided not to try to resurrect it again. Well, the UPS showed up and there it is, a new 13" MBP. Man! After using the old one for the past 8.5 years running 10.3.9. It was a big change for me. Everything is much faster. The screen is better. The downside is that old programs from the old machine won't work with the new one, but that's OK.

I just re-calibrated using the built in calibration and it is better now.... I think. I did a few photos editing with Lightroom 4 before the re-calibration so I'm not quit sure how will that look now. I did the same with the old one and it was fine for me for many years for both viewing on screen like on my Flickr account and print from my local lab, so I think this new machine should be fine too. :D I know doing photo editing on 21" or 27" is nicer but I guess I'm used to smaller screen after many years with the old 12" PB G4... actually all my digital photos up to this point came from that little PB G4 machine. :D

BTW... I didn't buy the Apple Care with this. Don't know if I should get it. I've never used it with old machine, actually the HDD in the old machine died a year after the Apple Care expired.  :? And not to mention that Discover card now have 1 years extended warranty on stuffs bought with their card like American Express. So, with that I do have total of 2 years. Likely HDD will go in about 3 years or so.

Anyway, yes I finally got a new Mac! :lol: I hope this machine will last me as long as my old one... well, I would be happy with at least 5 years. Now what to do with the old one?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2013, 04:27 am by SET Man »