Grado and IGD

orthobiz

Re: Grado and IGD
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2010, 11:05 pm »
I have an unusual magnafier and I also used my zoom on my tripod mounted camera to take a picture of the stylus, sitting in the groove. I made a print of that, and used a protractor (aslo drawing some lines) to determine where the stylus was, and where I wanted it to go.

Wayner

I was sure you'd be using a USB microscope or something...
I've been waiting for one to show up on woot.com

Paul

andyr

« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:01 am »

There has been a bazillion posts on various forums about an issue that I don't think is fully understood, and maybe not looked at from a different concept.  And that is Grado and IGD.

Does it happen?    yes

Is it a fault with Grado.....ummm ..... I'm not convinced.

I have a Grado Reference Platinum as my "backup" cartridge and (although it's been a while since I used it - since my Benz LP came back from its retip) I'm not aware of hearing any IGD with it??  :)

Regards,

Andy

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm »

Did get a good shot or two.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:57 pm »
Cool pics but it doesn't look like you can measure accurately from them, no?

Paul

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:13 pm »

Did get a good shot or two.

Wayner

Ummm..that appears to be a AT 440 cart.........I believe to get proper SRA, the bend in the catilever on a grado stylus has to sit parallel to the record surface.  At least all of mine get aligned that way. That gets the arm level, and the cart front squared.

PeteG

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:17 pm »
If you have a tonearm with adjustable VTA, that is the place to do it. You really should look at your stylus to see where it is at when loaded in the groove first, to determine how much additional tip needs to be done. I have an unusual magnafier and I also used my zoom on my tripod mounted camera to take a picture of the stylus, sitting in the groove. I made a print of that, and used a protractor (aslo drawing some lines) to determine where the stylus was, and where I wanted it to go.

Wayner

I give the picture of the stylus a shot don’t know if it really helped me but it doesn’t look that bad to me.

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
Ummm..that appears to be a AT 440 cart.........I believe to get proper SRA, the bend in the catilever on a grado stylus has to sit parallel to the record surface.  At least all of mine get aligned that way. That gets the arm level, and the cart front squared.

It is an AT440MLa to be exact. I wasn't interested in a picture of the Grado in particular, but rather the stylus, to show that it can be done with a camera. I just happened to have this one loaded in my gallery.