Interest Check: Felix PCB

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Interest Check: Felix PCB
« on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:51 pm »
I'm having a company quote (not Express PCB) the Felix PCB.  I will post what they say but am curious to know how many people may be interested.

Post in this thread if you are interested in them.  For more info on building them you will need to see the thread in the Lab here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0

boone

Re: Interest Check: Felix PCB
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:36 pm »
jtwrace,

Yes, I would be interested in 4 or 5 boards.  Thanks for offering this.

boone

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:27 pm »
This has been canceled.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2010, 01:28 am by jtwrace »

rlee8394

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:50 pm »
Why the cancellation???

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:22 am »
Why the cancellation???

Since it's not my design I don't have permission to have PCB's made.  I apologize but I must respect that.

rlee8394

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:59 pm »
jtwrace,

If you are interested in getting new boards made, I'll design a PCB for you. Just give me the specs and I'll whip one up.

Ron

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:41 pm »
Since it's not my design I don't have permission to have PCB's made.  I apologize but I must respect that.

WTF???? Don't put this on me. You NEVER asked my permission to make Felix pc boards, nor is it needed.
The Felix project was a contribution to the Lab circle when I was its facilitator. There is little to distinguish it from a standard textbook filter. The first group buy certainly didn't have my 'permission', but I did make some helpful suggestions to its organizer.

Ron,

Please feel free to make the boards, if you are comfortable with the support and possible liability issues, not that you need my permission. My only request is that you include within the board price a small contribution to Audio Circle to help support its operation. If your intent is to make material profit from this, I'd prefer you not call it a Felix, and come up with your own ultra cool name for it. 8)

Regards,
Paul
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2010, 08:11 pm by Occam »

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2010, 07:11 pm »
The "permission" thing is a bit odd since this isn't a patented design.

Why not just build it on Radio Shack perf board?  Takes the same amount of time and is a better solution.

-Jim

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2010, 10:21 pm »
WTF???? Don't put this on me. You NEVER asked my permission to make Felix pc boards, nor is it needed.
The Felix project was a contribution to the Lab circle when I was its facilitator. There is little to distinguish it from a standard textbook filter. The first group buy certainly didn't have my 'permission', but I did make some helpful suggestions to its organizer.

Ron,

Please feel free to make the boards, if you are comfortable with the support and possible liability issues, not that you need my permission. My only request is that you include within the board price a small contribution to Audio Circle to help support its operation. If your intent is to make material profit from this, I'd prefer you not call it a Felix, and come up with your own ultra cool name for it. 8)

Regards,
Paul

Paul,

It was asked through Mike if he could design a new and improved version and you asked him to not assist so I took it as a No. 

Am I wrong?

Would you be willing to design a new and improved version for A.C. members?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2010, 10:24 pm »
The "permission" thing is a bit odd since this isn't a patented design.

Why not just build it on Radio Shack perf board?  Takes the same amount of time and is a better solution.

-Jim

The idea was that a new and improved version was going to be made....it would be nice and easy for A.C. members to use. 

rlee8394

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm »
Paul,

I wasn't looking to make any profit. I just offered to design the PCB for manufacture by the company that jtwrace was considering using. If the board PCB artwork is fine, then go ahead and use that. If the members want it updated or modified, I'd be happy to help out.

Using a multi-up may be preferred to doing individual small boards as far as costs go. Just food for thought.

Happy New Year all!!!  :beer: :jester: :wine:

Ron

mhconley

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2011, 03:34 pm »
I purchased all my capacitors with 1-1/2" legs and will be going boardless.  I plan to get started next weekend after the holidays wind down.

Martin

Occam

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2011, 03:55 pm »

GBB's build. Mmmmmmmmm.... dead bugs (as in 'dead bug' construction) Put some shrink tubing over it, shrink, and you're done.

If one cannot build that, or on a perf board, they've absolutely no business dealing with lethal mains voltages.

JDUBS

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:43 pm »
Agreed.  It doesn't get much easier...and if you can't do it point-to-point, probably best to stay away from DIY, specifically when 120v is involved.

-Jim

GBB's build. Mmmmmmmmm.... dead bugs (as in 'dead bug' construction) Put some shrink tubing over it, shrink, and you're done.

If one cannot build that, or on a perf board, they've absolutely no business dealing with lethal mains voltages.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:29 pm »
Hey!

Having PCB made will be easy for some people. But you can do without. Here is my Felix....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.200

Go down to post #217.

I made 4 (2 for fellow AC member) more of like this one but with different CMCs, 2 fused 2.9A CMCs and 1 fused 9A CMC. The solid wire is not easy to work with but once bent in place it stay in place fine.

I have two with me right now but none are in my audio system. These didn't work out well in my audio system.  I'm using them to feed my TV and one to feed my computer and definitely work great for my TV and computer.

It is a simple project but as others have mentioned before you have to be very careful due to the fact that you are dealing with lethal voltage here.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mhconley

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2011, 09:21 pm »

I was looking for that pic as illustration but could not find it.  That's how I plan to build mine.

Martin

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2011, 09:41 pm »
For a stiffer rail one can use 12 Ga. solid core house wire...this one was made for direct mounting onto an outlet.

piggyback the caps for compactness...

Fuse as appropriate, for safety.  :thumb:

Tubefly

• Motorcycles, Music, and Trout
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2011, 02:13 am »
So is the PCB dead?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:02 pm »
So is the PCB dead?

I'd say so...

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:21 am »
I'd say so...

Too bad. Although I agree you should be comfortable with mains voltages before pursuing, for those who want to do more than one-offs having boards will be less time consuming than point to point. I'd be up for 8-10 boards myself depending on cost...