vortrex

Re: Vapor Cirrus Loudspeakers - Flying Above the Clouds
« Reply #100 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:37 am »
*EDIT*
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 07:49 pm by vortrex »

ricardojoa

« Reply #101 on: 2 Sep 2012, 05:15 pm »
I would say they are full range, however I'm not a subwoofer kind of guy.  the bass with the Cirrus is quite a bit deeper/better than the floor standers they replaced (Salk Songtowers).  I've got to work on my room a little bit, as things are apparently different with these compared to the Salk's.  they do sound pretty amazing though as is and I would take these over almost anything I heard at the CA audio show, regardless of price.

please dont mind me asking, did you have the salk songtower with the ribbon? How different are these compare to the salk songtowers? Do you think that the cabinet contribute anything to the sound?

vortrex

« Reply #102 on: 2 Sep 2012, 05:26 pm »
*EDIT* 

ricardojoa

« Reply #103 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:51 am »
I had the standard ST's.  no disrespect to Salk, but the ST's are not remotely in the same league as the Cirrus and shouldn't be.  I think a more fair fight would be comparing them to the HT2-TL's (based off price) and the Soundscape 8's (for actual performance).  it's impossible for me to say if the cabinet makes a difference since I obviously have not heard the Cirrus in another cabinet.  the cabinets are extremely heavy.  each Cirrus weighs like 25% more than a Songtower!

Thanks for the input. The cirrus does have better drivers then the ST. I thougdht that with all the work on the cabinets, the cirrus should have a better ability or sense of that dissapering act. Im actually curious of the bass driver, sure it pumps out more bass , but how is the overall midrange and resolution. I thought the ST has pretty good detail and resolution and expansive sound.

Geardaddy

« Reply #104 on: 3 Sep 2012, 11:14 am »
Bravo Ryan.  Looks and "sounds" like great speakers.  So many people ring their hands about exotic drivers and xover parts but neglect the cabinet.  That's where the $ is IMO. 

Has anyone compared them to the new Evolution Acoustics MMIs everyone is buzzing about?  (http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmmicroone/).  Similar price point but made in CHINA....

ricardojoa

« Reply #105 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm »
The thing about not using off the sheld drivers is that you will even harder time finding info about the drivers.

drumiha

« Reply #106 on: 19 Sep 2012, 11:43 am »
Hey Vortrex,

What can you tell us about the sound of your Cirrus ? Are they better than the Magico Mini ? Do they sound similar to kaiser kawero like a guy said on audiogon ? If you haven't heard those speakers before please just describe the sound of your Cirrus in a few words for us if you don't mind...

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

standub

« Reply #107 on: 30 Sep 2012, 01:58 am »
Bravo Ryan.  Looks and "sounds" like great speakers.  So many people ring their hands about exotic drivers and xover parts but neglect the cabinet.  That's where the $ is IMO. 

Has anyone compared them to the new Evolution Acoustics MMIs everyone is buzzing about?  (http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmmicroone/).  Similar price point but made in CHINA....

I heard both (I now own a pair of the Cirrus) at last years RMAF and the only thing in common with these two is the price.  The Cirrus is leagues above the evos, granted they are very pretty.

standub

« Reply #108 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:02 am »
Hey Vortrex,

What can you tell us about the sound of your Cirrus ? Are they better than the Magico Mini ? Do they sound similar to kaiser kawero like a guy said on audiogon ? If you haven't heard those speakers before please just describe the sound of your Cirrus in a few words for us if you don't mind...

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Like my post above I heard all three at last years RMAF, imho the Cirrus were a step up from the Magicos.  In fairness maybe the Magico room was just not good, it was one of the small/normal rooms with no treatment.  The kawero sounds very very good as well, I can't say how similar they sound since the Kawero room was playing a much different style of music than I've played on the Cirrus.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #109 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:24 am »
Like my post above I heard all three at last years RMAF, imho the Cirrus were a step up from the Magicos.  In fairness maybe the Magico room was just not good, it was one of the small/normal rooms with no treatment.  The kawero sounds very very good as well, I can't say how similar they sound since the Kawero room was playing a much different style of music than I've played on the Cirrus.

In all fairness and in MHO, there's no way in hell you can listen to 3 different loudspeakers in 3 completely different systems and declare in all honesty which loudspeaker is "leagues" above the other. Unless you're doing actual comparisons of all 3 loudspeakers in the same room and with the same components, all I see you are doing is stating which RMAF room sounded the best to you and you used that as a basis for your loudspeaker purchase.

AFAIC, you do the loudspeakers you didn't choose a disjustice with your "leagues above" and "steps up" comparisons and I hope folks will take your comments for what they truly are,,, 3 totally different room & system comparisons. Totally an unfair apples & oranges comparison.

Cheers,
Robin

vortrex

« Reply #110 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:53 am »
*EDIT*

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #111 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:29 am »
In all fairness and in MHO, there's no way in hell you can listen to 3 different loudspeakers in 3 completely different systems and declare in all honesty which loudspeaker is "leagues" above the other. Unless you're doing actual comparisons of all 3 loudspeakers in the same room and with the same components, all I see you are doing is stating which RMAF room sounded the best to you and you used that as a basis for your loudspeaker purchase.

AFAIC, you do the loudspeakers you didn't choose a disjustice with your "leagues above" and "steps up" comparisons and I hope folks will take your comments for what they truly are,,, 3 totally different room & system comparisons. Totally an unfair apples & oranges comparison.

Cheers,
Robin

robin,

there are no absolutes.  sometimes (most of the time?) three different speakers in the same room w/the same gear will also not be a fair comparison.  some speakers want a certain size/type of room.  some speakers prefer a certain type of gear.  while i understand what you are trying to say, i think it's a bit of an oversimplification.   :wink:  just sayin'...

in the case above, the commenter did a good job describing what he thought were the caveats regarding room and other wariables.  the fact that the cirrus could be thought of as being in the least bit comparable to two speakers that are considerably more expensive does put those speakers in a somewhat unfavorable light, certainly.  maybe the real injustice is the price of the expensive speakers?   :lol:  the "leagues above" comment was about a 4th pair of speakers, comparably priced to the cirrus. 

robin, i think everyone knows the limitations of getting a 3rd party's opinion of speakers that they heard at a stereo show!   :green:

doug s.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #112 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:38 am »
robin,

there are no absolutes.  sometimes (most of the time?) three different speakers in the same room w/the same gear will also not be a fair comparison.  some speakers want a certain size/type of room.  some speakers prefer a certain type of gear.  while i understand what you are trying to say, i think it's a bit of an oversimplification.   :wink:  just sayin'...

That's me,,, simple.  :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

robin, i think everyone knows the limitations of getting a 3rd party's opinion of speakers that they heard at a stereo show!   :green:

doug s.

Not me Doug,,, never had the opportunity to go to one myself. But what I have got is a little common sense. I work with that.  :wink:

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #113 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:49 am »
...robin, i think everyone knows the limitations of getting a 3rd party's opinion of speakers that they heard at a stereo show!   :green:

doug s.

...Not me Doug,,, never had the opportunity to go to one myself. But what I have got is a little common sense. I work with that.  :wink:

exactly - you don't need to have gone to a show to understand that reading what someone said about their experience comparing different speakers at a show needs to be looked as as only one data point of many.  gather as much info as possible, to narrow down something you might actually want to audition in your own home!   8)

doug s.

groovybassist

« Reply #114 on: 30 Sep 2012, 01:39 pm »
Not to split hairs too finely - the price of the Cirrus and the Evos are not comparable.  The Evos are $2500 including stands, while the Cirrus starts at $3995 (per Vapor's website).  Regardless of how good/bad a job Evolution Acoustics has done with the MicroOne, as an audiophile and consumer, I think it's a reasonable expectation for a 60% more expensive loudspeaker to sound better (assuming equivalent engineering talent).  We all know that isn't always the case, but my simple point is they aren't in the same price tier.  I own The MicroOnes (and Harbeth Compact 7ES-3) and have never heard the Cirrus, so I can't comment on sound quality of one vs. the other.  I can comfortably state IMHO that the MicroOnes are easily the equal of the Harbeth's and I expect they will handily beat out the Harbeth's in my system as they break-in further.

standub

« Reply #115 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:28 pm »
Ok so maybe leagues above could have been more poetically written, but i'm an engineer, writing poetically isn't in my skill set.  And I agree it's hard to tell subtle differences between how speakers sound at a show like RMAF due to all the differences with rooms and gear.  However the difference between the Evo's and the other speakers listed was rather large and I have a hard time believing that the room (small room, but small speakers) or gear(darTZeel) was holding the MMMone back.  Just my opinion of what I heard.

vortrex

« Reply #116 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:13 pm »
*EDIT*
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 07:50 pm by vortrex »

groovybassist

« Reply #117 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:24 pm »
I'm not privy to whether they will/won't be changing, but here's the latest from Jonathan Tinn, posted on Audiogon 9/28/12:

"As of right now the price has not changed. When the time comes to "officially" announce a price increase, I will certainly post it in this thread since you are requesting that I do so. I hope that clarifies things.

Jonathan Tinn
Evolution Acoustics"

Should the price change, my point is moot.

david12

« Reply #118 on: 1 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm »
 A question to you owners, I find the cirrus an interesting proposition. I am wondering about the 85.5 sensitivity. I use 2 lowish powered Class A integrated amps, a 20 watt Ayon Spark SET and 50watt Pathos Inpol2 hybrid. My listening room is 20 by 20 feet and I don't listen at high volumes, I have neighbours.

Any thoughts on minimum power requrements in Practice? I have read the website specs, but would appreciate users views on this subject. Thanks

vortrex

« Reply #119 on: 1 Nov 2012, 02:10 pm »
*EDIT*
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 07:50 pm by vortrex »