Why Bryston?

Stu Pitt

Re: Why Bryston?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:53 am »
:thumb:
Thanks guys!
That was very helpful! Exactly the enabling, this addict needs!!

Now to look for a place to purchase. No local dealer here in Syracuse NY.

Any reason not to buy used from AG? Is the warranty transferable?

Did Clark Music go out of business?  They had a store in Latham, NY (Albany suburb) that slowly faded away about 6 years ago.  A shame really, the guy who ran the home audio side was a great guy.

nocrapman

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:19 am »
Did Clark Music go out of business?  They had a store in Latham, NY (Albany suburb) that slowly faded away about 6 years ago.  A shame really, the guy who ran the home audio side was a great guy.

Hi Stu,
  Clark is still doing decent business primarily IMO due to their Piano Store and SUs excellent music program! I have gone their for speaker shopping! But they only stock Anthem/McIntosh and Marantz for stereo equipment.

The only dealer in this area is a custom installer as per the Bryston dealer finder.

lanchile

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:34 am »
20 years Warranty, Best support, Quality, wonderful sound and did I say they are build like a tank?. Can Brand X beat Bryston in all this area?  I doubt it!

nocrapman

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:44 am »
I am getting a great deal on a demo 3B SST2. Is this a significant step down from the 4B?
Is 3B still a dual mono config?

lanchile

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2010, 02:09 am »
I am getting a great deal on a demo 3B SST2. Is this a significant step down from the 4B?
Is 3B still a dual mono config?

Yes, and that is a wonderful amp! and if I am not mistaken the 4B ST has more power but is an older version.well, if you get a nice deal....just get it!!! you will not regretted. http://bryston.com/3bsst_m.html

http://bryston.com/pdfs/09/3Bsst2_4Bsst2_MANUAL_20090213.pdf

95Dyna

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:51 am »
If you like the house  sound of Bryston gear then by all means buy one. The warranty and customer service is one of the best if not the best around.
   When I owned Bryston amps I blew it up by accident and Bryston STILL fixed it for free. I will never forget that. Highly reccomended.
   BTW Classe is right up there with them. Excellent customer service. Listen to both as the character of sound is different. Good luck listening.

charles

Hi Charles,

Can you please explain what you mean by the Bryston "house sound".  These amps are dead neutral with noise and distortion levels as low as theoretically possible.  To me if you don't like the sound of your system the Bryston squared series amps can't possibly be thhe problem.

Regards,

Bill

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:23 am »

Hi Charles,

Can you please explain what you mean by the Bryston "house sound".  These amps are dead neutral with noise and distortion levels as low as theoretically possible.  To me if you don't like the sound of your system the Bryston squared series amps can't possibly be thhe problem.

Regards,

Bill

Exactly. Thanks for pointing that out!

Fido2

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2010, 08:24 pm »
Thats awesome!
Now can someone verbalise the difference in the two voicings - Classe vs Bryston?
I am highly unlikely to find them side by side for a while, if ever...

Having owned a Classe amp(CA-2200) and now a Bryston 14B SST I can say that the Classe is more polite, a bit "rounder" and a scoche looser in the bass. A nice warm sounding amp.
 The Bryston is more truthful to the source, not romantic, all business. Bass is very tight and deep and ballsy. I was playing the Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin'" CD the other day and WOW I could actually hear the spit flyin out of Art Farmers trumpet. Just awesome.
 My .02 would be that if you want a nice warm sounding amp for mostly background music at a party go Classe. If you want to really get into your music get the Bryston. This all just my opinion. No offense intended to anyone.

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2010, 08:33 pm »
I agree! BRYSTON is the more transparent and dynamic.  8)

vegasdave

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2010, 08:39 pm »
20 years Warranty, Best support, Quality, wonderful sound and did I say they are build like a tank?. Can Brand X beat Bryston in all this area?  I doubt it!

Exactly. And BRYSTON is an honest, no bs company. They give you actual quality rather than marketing hype and snake oil. And they don't overprice like a lot of other high-end companies do.

lanchile

« Reply #30 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:09 am »
Exactly. And BRYSTON is an honest, no bs company. They give you actual quality rather than marketing hype and snake oil. And they don't overprice like a lot of other high-end companies do.

Well said vegasdave! and I second this too. :thumb:

nocrapman

« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:44 pm »
Is there a difference in sound signature between 3BSST vs 3BSST2?

I read somewhere that the non-squared version is somewhat bright compared to the 2...
Any truth in this? I because I see the former listed at a nice price on AG. Wondering if its worth the money to spend the extra grand on the SST2?

Mag

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:31 am »
Is there a difference in sound signature between 3BSST vs 3BSST2?

I read somewhere that the non-squared version is somewhat bright compared to the 2...
Any truth in this? I because I see the former listed at a nice price on AG. Wondering if its worth the money to spend the extra grand on the SST2?

IMO the sound signature is the same, the difference is the SST2 is more refined in detail. Better bass & control, mids, controlled highs without losing detail. It's more than a subtle improvement which I estimated at 20-30% improvement.

Is it worth the extra money? For me it was worth it, but then you might argue that I'm justifying my purchase.

I would say depending on the speaker the SST can sound shrill or harsh compared to the SST2, for me it took about 2 weeks to adjust. On some songs I actually preferred the SST. Overall though once I adjusted to the smooth highs, its a much more pleasant refined sound.

amdan

« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:35 am »
Having owned a Classe amp(CA-2200) and now a Bryston 14B SST I can say that the Classe is more polite, a bit "rounder" and a scoche looser in the bass. A nice warm sounding amp.
 The Bryston is more truthful to the source, not romantic, all business. Bass is very tight and deep and ballsy. I was playing the Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin'" CD the other day and WOW I could actually hear the spit flyin out of Art Farmers trumpet. Just awesome.
 My .02 would be that if you want a nice warm sounding amp for mostly background music at a party go Classe. If you want to really get into your music get the Bryston. This all just my opinion. No offense intended to anyone.

I compared the Classe and the Bryston in my system and came to the same conclusion. The only thing I would add is that the Bryston was also a lot better in the top end. I could hear thsoundstage a lot better with the Bryston.

Gustavo

« Reply #34 on: 28 Dec 2010, 12:17 pm »
I have tried or tested a lot of brands of amplifiers, all brands have pros and cons, and all have their own sound signature, if I have to choose the best regardless of $$$$$$$$ I will definitely choose the Swiss brand Soulution, that sound its perfect IMHO. Nevertheless the price of those machines is equal to buy a very nice apartment in my country, prices totally over the hedge for almost all budgets, prices out of this world.

When budget is generous but have a human level restriction (Audio budget for the 95% of the audiophiles) I will definitely go for Bryston. “There is something in the bryston sound that just sounds right”, showing the real authentic sound (timbre) and dynamic of each instrument, this is especially easy to ear when classical music it`s tested, all the harmonics are there with no coloration, I can hear clearly the differences between a violin and a viola, and each one of the instruments can be easily follow. This feature probably it’s a heritage from the professional aim design of bryston gear, after all there is no way a colored amplifier can be even considered in the professional world. Other Hi End amplifier used to sound sometimes more warm, round, big, soft, etc. but somehow masking the real timbre of some instruments. Summarizing, if you really want to hear how the source sounds in a real world budget, go for Bryston.   

1oldguy

« Reply #35 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:00 pm »
 Got together with a couple of friends yesterday and we compared the 7B SST and the 7B SST squared.
I will share my findings a little later when time permits.It was a revelation I can tell you that.

nocrapman

« Reply #36 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:30 pm »
Amdan/Mag/Gustavo:
Thank you for your impressions!
Very valuable and helpful...

1oldguy: You're killing me with the suspense!! Please Hurry!

1oldguy

« Reply #37 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:46 pm »
On with the review.

I should point out that all 3 of us felt the same way after our session.So here goes.
With the SQ amps we had to turn the volume higher.This may be a great thing for dynamics.Others may be able to shed more light on this aspect than I.
The SQ sounded like sweet butter compared to the SST.We all felt the presentation was much more forgiving with the SQ.Though I have no experience with Classe,the other 2 guys felt it was in the Classe ballpark,in terms of richness.We all could certainly see the benefits with the SST SQ if you have bright speakers.If the speakers are dull than the regular SST may be enough,though you should be prepared for all that comes with it and you may end up with to bright of an experience.
To sum up,the Bryston 7B SQ is like butter,smooth,well refined,and will not offend on any level of which I can't say for the previous iteration.If you want/need finesse you will find it in the 7B SST SQ and then some.

GaryArthur

« Reply #38 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:41 am »

To sum up,the Bryston 7B SQ is like butter,smooth,well refined,and will not offend on any level of which I can't say for the previous iteration.If you want/need finesse you will find it in the 7B SST SQ and then some.

Was this comparison done with the 7B SQ with the "new type of transformer" ie S/N 001826 and above? When I tested the 7B-SST against the 7B-SST SQ before the "new type of transformer" I found only a modest change. I have made the same comparison with the 4B-SST and the 4B-SST SQ both of which I have in my system and there is (IMHO) only a very modest difference. I understand there was a bigger improvement with the new transformer.

Regards,
Gary

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:03 am »
Why Bryston. Well, a LOCAL dealer for starters. I wanted Magnepan speakers (3.6) and they carried both.
Then I read a LOT of info saying Magnepan and Bryston are very synergistic.
So Bryston was on my (very) short list to audition.
Also, On of the early things that helped me put Bryston on my short list is a reviewer (I respect) with a good system uses Bryston in his own reference system.
I had a Forte' 4a (Nelson Pass design amp) and so I might have tried out some Pass stuff, but no local dealer AND they are much more expensive.
I heard about Parasound J.Curl design,, but the Parasound warranty (including only the dealer can send it in for warranty.. sucked)
Then Classe' which the same dealer with Bryston and Magnepan also carried)
The dealer had NO Classe' amplifiers in stock to demo (the current recession made this understandable, he would order it, but not demo it)
So I auditioned the Magnepan with the Bryston 4B-SST2, BP-26, and the Bryston CD player, for several hours with music I brought along. I liked it.
 also listened to MAC stuff (was in the same room at the dealer) and did NOT like the sound. Very 'old school' is my description of the MAC sound.
Later I brought my powerline conditioner to the dealer, and plugged all the stuff into that. Auditioned again for a few hours. The stuff plugged into the Monster 700SS conditioner smoothed up the HF a bit, and was great. (I bought another conditioner, a used Furman REF 20i for a great price within driving distance. The Furman is what I have the Bryston stuff connected to now, with the digital stuff from the Monster conditioner.
So then i decided yes I want the Bryston 4B-SST2 and the Magnepan 3.6s.
Because i was happy with the sound, I also bought the Bryston preamp: BP-26 and power supply. And the Bryston DAC (which the dealer did NOT have, but listening to the Bryston CD player, i thought (along with all the rave reviews) OK.
Then I also got the 1.5 phono.
The warranty and audition convinced me to buy Bryston.
So after the stuff arrived set it up and started listening.
I was NOT excited about the Bryston DAC. and found after swapping all sorts of things around, (nearly a month of every day 8 hours or more a day) that the Bryston DAC was exactly the same (soundwise) as my old DAC, an Adcom DA700 i bought used for $200. (then stuffed with antistatic foam, a tweak I read about and like)
So I returned the Bryston DAC. I initially thought perhaps something is wrong with the DAC, but after returning it, my dealer said it was fine. (I have to say his hearing is not in the same class, as i had auditioned stuff before, and he cannot hear a difference that leaves ME with bleeding ears! (the high frequencies) so if he plugged it in and decided it was fine... My take was the Bryston DAC was not oversampling at all, even though the light was on. But that is just a guess. And i will never know.
I bought a tube buffer, A VAC Standard tubed preamp (used) to fix up (actually disguise) the digital grunge I am bothered by. With the VAC between the DAC and BP-26 the sound is pretty good.
I bought a second Bryston 1.5 phono. But once the second one came, and I compared the two 1.5s.. eventually I realized the second one just sounded better than the first! (I have no idea why..) And i realized I would just not want to use the lesser one, (and selling such a device later that needs a separate power supply would be hard to do if I decided much later it was not good enough... anyway two months had passed, so I asked the dealer to allow me to return the first Bryston Phono 1.5 with a 'restocking' charge.(also the 1.5's serial # were consecutive. BUT the second  1.5 phono had the rounded corners, and the first one had the squared off ends on the front panel.) Whether the parts were changed or just some oddity of construction... (I even opened them up to see if the internal jumpers were set differently..)
Anyway, I am happy with the Bryston stuff I have kept.
I was early on concerned: "Did I make a mistake? (because of the DAC) but once I heard the second Phono with the new TT I bought, I cried as it was so beautiful sounding I then KNEW it was ALL (Bryston Amp, pre, and phono, and the Magnepan 3.6s) right for me.
(since the preamp and amp passed the sound, I knew they were good too. (where my digital stuff is not at the same level of quality as the phono.
I had originally wanted an Audio Research REF-3 preamp, (instead of the Bryston BP-26) but it was $1,500. MORE used, and has tubes. I just retired (and the retirement bonus is how I bought the stuff) and I did not want to have to worry about new tubes ($400.) every two years. As I listen all day every day. With the Bryston BP-26 I leave it on 24/7 and never have to worry about it using up tube life.
And I would have been buying the ARC pre with NO audition.. And I was not happy about that. (though I have an Audio Research SP-15 I bought used, and liked it very much, and still use that ARC for the second phono stage)
So THAT is why "I" bought Bryston.
From my tale one can see I am not easily pleased, and demand the finest in reproduction especially the high frequency content.
So to get my recommendation, means more than usual...
(stuck up! ain't I?)