Songtowers and Tube Amps

putz

Re: Songtowers and Tube Amps
« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:21 pm »
This is the best post in this thread; something I think everyone can attest to.

Get a great pair of speakers, then start messing with electronics in order to tweak the sonic signature to your hearts desires.  Just my $0.02.

And now to recommend something for the OP: I like the Hybrind Butler 2250.  It's has it's weaknesses, as does most gear, but it also has some mighty strengths IMO. 

Once you go tubes you'll probably either hate it or never go back.  If it's the latter, though, it might not be an easy journey, as different tubes and technologies give a different sound, and it may take an infinite amount of testing before you are completely satisfied.  Just remember this: I warned you. :)

Nuance,

Thanks for the Butler suggestion. I have heard great things  about that amp but it's not in my current price range (up to $1,000). If you have one you want to sell me for $1,000, send me a PM.  :wink:

I spoke to Jim and he recommended the Jolida 302 as more than capable of powering the STs. I am still considering the Dynaco as well.

I don't know if I'll love Tube better than SS but I do love Analog over digital and that's with a cheap Project Debut table and a so-so Ortofon Cartridge. That and $2.00 will get me on the subway but I thought I would just throw it out there.

Nuance

« Reply #41 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:28 pm »
Exploring is half the fun, listening being the other half. So I look at your warning as an invitation to adventure myself.  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

Right you are, Robin!  Some just might be surprised at the need for such an adventure, or not ready for it at all, hence the warning.  Personally, I am not ready for it at this time in my life (other pressing matters and priorities), but when my times comes I'll enjoy the heck of out it.  You can bet on it!

Nuance,

Thanks for the Butler suggestion. I have heard great things  about that amp but it's not in my current price range (up to $1,000). If you have one you want to sell me for $1,000, send me a PM.  :wink:

I spoke to Jim and he recommended the Jolida 302 as more than capable of powering the STs. I am still considering the Dynaco as well.

I don't know if I'll love Tube better than SS but I do love Analog over digital and that's with a cheap Project Debut table and a so-so Ortofon Cartridge. That and $2.00 will get me on the subway but I thought I would just throw it out there.

Whoops - I am sorry...must have missed your budget specs.  Well, it sounds like you have some great candidates, so do keep as posted as to what you decide.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #42 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
Nuance,

Thanks for the Butler suggestion. I have heard great things  about that amp but it's not in my current price range (up to $1,000). If you have one you want to sell me for $1,000, send me a PM.  ;)

There's a Butler 2250 for $1490 here. Maybe if you ask real nice like, Nuance will spot you the extra $490?  :eyebrows:  That's 2 channels of 250 watts @ 8ohms each,,, a lot of dynamic tube flavored power to play with. I own two Butler 3150, that's 6 channels of 150 watts each so I can attest to Naunces comments. And the tubes are hardwired into the sockets so theres no tube rolling here. But I still have some fun myself rolling the tubes in my Havana Dac, just enough to satisfy what little hobbiest I have left in me.

Cheers,
Robin

Yeggo

« Reply #43 on: 24 Dec 2010, 08:40 pm »
Regarding Chinese tube amps. from a maker in Hong Kong, I bought a tube pre amp which started out selling on line for 1 grand. I got it for$400. There is no support for this maker in the USA. When it brought down, early on, I mailed off for the schematics, waited a month. Got them, weren't much help.Ended up with an older Van Alstine tube pre-amp. While there a some who have the cash for big purchases from China, I would urge you to consider the work of Frank Van Alstine. You won't be disappointged.

putz

« Reply #44 on: 24 Dec 2010, 09:39 pm »
I decided to go with a Jolida 502 BRC with the KT88 tubes. Got a good price online. Should arrive next week.

Supposed to be idiot proof biasing. I can also upgrade the pre amp tubes on the cheap.

Thanx to everyone for their input and suggestions.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #45 on: 24 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »
I decided to go with a Jolida 502 BRC with the KT88 tubes. Got a good price online. Should arrive next week.

Supposed to be idiot proof biasing. I can also upgrade the pre amp tubes on the cheap.

Sweet!  :thumb:

Congrats!  :beer:

Make sure to get 100 hours or so on the new amp and tubes before you listen critically.  8)

Have fun,
Jerry

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #46 on: 24 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm »
Ditto.
Sweet!  :thumb:

Congrats!  :beer:

Make sure to get 100 hours or so on the new amp and tubes before you listen critically.  8)

Have fun,
Jerry

Nuance

« Reply #47 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:29 am »

Congrats!!