Just how important are "matched" tubes?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Just how important are "matched" tubes?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jan 2011, 04:56 am »
Thanks for the report Bunky,

BTW have you A/B the GL KT-66s with the cryoed Russian 6L6s I mentioned above in your NS-40?

-Roy

Audioclyde

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jan 2011, 11:58 am »
Bunky,

Can you report/compare the Creat 6sn7's vs. the Treasure cv181z's?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Randy

bunky

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jan 2011, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for the report Bunky,

BTW have you A/B the GL KT-66s with the cryoed Russian 6L6s I mentioned above in your NS-40?

-Roy
Hey Roy,i have run the Russian Coin based 6L6 / 5881 in the Niteshade NS-40 and they sound excelllent but in this circuit which is running DC filaments and is playing thru my Silverline Sonatina 2's the KT66-Z's take it to a higher level and the GL KT66 take it to yet another level and the sound seems slightly more refined in my system vs the KT66-Z.in my modded Golden Tube Audio SE40 which is a single ended parralel circuit using 3 6L6's per channel in Class A the Russian coin based 5881 varients were my favorite power tube in this circuit. they are not just a great tube for the money they are a very well made military/industrial grade tube that sounds great in every circuit i have heard them in.thanks....WCW III

bunky

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jan 2011, 03:18 pm »
Bunky,

Can you report/compare the Creat 6sn7's vs. the Treasure cv181z's?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Randy
Hey Randy,i swapped the Create 6SN7 and the CV181-Z between my amp and my preamp and i prefered the CV181-Z's in the linestage and the Create 6SN7's in the input and driver positions of my Niteshade NS-40. i am going to order another matched pair of CV181-Z's today and see if i like it better running all Black Treasure CV181-Zs in both the preamp and poweramp  :thumb:

AnalogTubes

• Industry Participant
  • Tubes and custom tube sets.
    • AnalogTubes.com
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:15 am »
As a tube dealer/vendor, I feel our job is really quality control, not selling tubes. Anyone can sell them, but few are willing to do the work and take the time to make sure they are a good quality and well matched.

Indiansprings

« Reply #45 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:54 pm »
As a tube dealer/vendor, I feel our job is really quality control, not selling tubes. Anyone can sell them, but few are willing to do the work and take the time to make sure they are a good quality and well matched.
:beer:

Wind Chaser