actually cheap and cheerful speakers-$56

lcrim

actually cheap and cheerful speakers-$56
« on: 6 Dec 2010, 02:55 pm »
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/scythe_krocraft_e.html
The review mentions their website where they're quoting $56 per pair US.  Also 82 dB efficient,  low power amps won't do.   Some high frequency issues as well but at that price forgivable and improvable.

Mariusz

Re: actually cheap and cheerful speakers-$56
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:25 pm »
With amp $80
here

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:31 pm »
Another positive review, http://www.pnosker.com/reviews/audio/519-scythe-kro-craft-speaker-review

As Mariusz pointed out they can be found online bundled w/ a small SS amp.

shep

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:13 pm »
Nice find! Cheep and maybe a touch better than cheerful. I couldn't find on either sites the "bundle" or if the amp could be had for 220v. I would get this for my girl friend in a snap if both were the case.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:24 pm »

srb

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:46 pm »
AeroCooler, although listing the Scythe amp and speakers, denotes them as Discontinued and cannot be added to the cart.

CompSource.com has the SDA-1100 amplifier for $39
http://www.compsource.com/pn/SDA1100/Scythe_Usa_2338/

and the SCBKS-1100 speakers for $39
http://www.compsource.com/pn/SCBKS1100/Scythe_Usa_2338/

and the SCBKS-1000P amp/speaker package for $70
http://www.compsource.com/pn/SCBKS1000P/Scythe_Usa_2338/

Even with it's "huge" 6-1/2" woofer, I don't know if you can compare the Dayton's 5/8" polycarbonate tweeter and cheap spring-loaded speaker terminals to the pure luxury of the Scythe's 1" soft dome tweeter and gold-plated metal 5-way binding posts!

I do own the SDA-1100 amplifier, and am quite impressed with it for the price. The power supply is 110V external with a 4-pin DIN DC power connector, so I don't know if it is sold in other countries with a 220V supply or if it would be worth it to try and source a replacement supply, particularly with use of the 4-pin DIN power connector instead of a more easily sourced 2-pin barrel connector.

Correction: The external power supply says "Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz" and has a detachable line cord which sounds like it would work on 220VAC with the proper power cord.  (and the amp connector is not a 4-pin DIN but a 2-conductor barrel 12VDC)

Steve
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2010, 03:41 pm by srb »

shep

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:59 pm »
Thanks for the link. I wrote to them about the 220v question and shipping charges. What an awsome deal. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha chip used in the amp. Anyone know anything about it? Sounds like the speakers could benefit from a little tweaking. (the amp apparently comes from Japan. There's some twiddle about its "phonetic precision", whatever that is and unfortunatly seems to be out of stock, at least on its own.) oh well... I'll follow this up. Anyone know a really cheap and decent cdp to go with this?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:17 pm »
I'm not familiar with hte Yamaha chip used in the amp. Anyone know anything about it?

No, other than it sounds quite good within it's power limitation.  I have it hooked up to 90dB speakers.  I would probably only want to use it with the companion Scythe ~ 82dB speakers in a near-field or desktop setting.

Yamaha YDA138(D-3)

Correction:  I was thinking about another piece of equipment when referencing the Scythe power supply.  The SDA-1100 external power supply says "Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz" and has a detachable line cord which sounds like it would work on 220VAC with the proper power cord.  (and the amp connector is not a 4-pin DIN but a 2-conductor barrel 12VDC)

Steve
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2010, 06:55 pm by srb »

shep

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:46 pm »
Interesting...wonder how it compairs to Tripath chips. I looked everywhere to see the 220v thing but you have better eyes I guess. This makes it more and more interesting. Funny how, in spite oh having a rather hi-end and seriously tweaked system,one/I can get excited at the idea of cheap and cheerful and GOOD! The bad part is finding a cdp of equal goodness and cheepness. That could be a bit more work. Dumpster?

srb

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm »
I looked everywhere to see the 220v thing but you have better eyes I guess. This makes it more and more interesting

No, I doubt I have better eyes, I have the actual power supply!

Steve

shep

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
This has me seriously itching! I have some decent rca's and some good solid core spkr wires...now I just need to be told it doesn't cost double the worth to ship them and score a decent cdp out of a dumpster (fat chance in rural France  :(]

srb

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:46 pm »
...now I just need to be told it doesn't cost double the worth to ship them...

On eBay UK, there are a number of units listed located in Germany, Spain and Italy. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=scythe+sda1100&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=3&_odkw=scythe+sda-1100&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Not sure if that would help.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:53 pm »
Does the Kama Bay AMP run hot?

shep

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:01 pm »
Thanks for the e-bay links. No sign of the speakers there. 43£ translates to about 70$ I'll wait and see if they answer me with a shipping price. It shouldn't run hot since tripath doesn't. Now if anyone can figure out what the no-name cap is...I can see a simple and effective up-grade. 15 minutes with a soldering iron and change out the internal wiring while you're there  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:23 pm »
Does the Kama Bay AMP run hot?

No, both the amp and the power supply only get slightly warm.  I don't use it to play loudly, though, just for patio use.  I do plan to pick up another for my workbench room.  My only complaint might be that the white power LED is a retina-burner.

This review talks about the differences between the older SDA-1000 and the new SDA-1100.  http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1100_e.html  It says the SDA-1000 came with a "figure 8" (C-7?) power supply mains connector and that the SDA-1100 now has an IEC connector on the power supply, but my SDA-1100 does have the C7 connector.  Of course other 12VDC/3A external supplies could be used, but I don't know how economically feasible that would be for an amp that I consider more for casual or utility use.

I don't think that anyone would confuse this amp with much more expensive offerings from Virtue, Red Wine Audio or Dayens, but it is what it is.  Really Cheap and Fairly Cheerful.

Steve

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for the link. I wrote to them about the 220v question and shipping charges. What an awsome deal. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha chip used in the amp. Anyone know anything about it? Sounds like the speakers could benefit from a little tweaking. (the amp apparently comes from Japan. There's some twiddle about its "phonetic precision", whatever that is and unfortunatly seems to be out of stock, at least on its own.) oh well... I'll follow this up. Anyone know a really cheap and decent cdp to go with this?

There was an old $99 (when new) JVC player that did DVDA also....sounded quite good.  Some of those cheapo DVDPs might not be 'high-end' but they don't sound so much worse from $500+ players to make you feel like you're missing a lot.  Reliability has always been the biggest issue.  Me, personally, I'd buy up a used SB3 or something at a good price.  A little over budget, but reliable and convenient.

genjamon

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2010, 09:01 pm »
A $70 Sony upscaling DVD player from Wally World has kept me pretty happy for the past two years for non-critical listening and movies. I'm putting together a smaller TV/DVD/audio system for my study right now, and that's likely what I'll use.  Probably finally spring for a Bluray for my main living room, although I really have no need or strong desire.

Mariusz

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm »
Do not highjack the thread too far off topic guys

siava1018

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:41 am »
how do these compare to the best buy Insignias?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:38 am »
how do these compare to the best buy Insignias?

I have heard positive reviews about friends with insignia speakers, they say its a good budget solution if you're looking for speakers.
But IMO, they are not bad for the money.