KR Tube factory will be on Science Channel, not Discovery Channel, Dec 3

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
I just watched it.  Very well done and mfr. of those KR tubes requires a heckuva lot of skill.  I hadn't considered how much of it requires the services of a skilled glassblower.  The construction and assembly of the cathode and anode, then mounting them inside the tube is very tedious and exacting.  The cost of these monsters starts making sense especially if you factor in the inevitable rejection rate.  I was very impressed but the thought of having to cough up thousands of dollars when you have to retube (2X if you own monoblocks) makes my lowly McIntosh 501 monoblocks look even more attractive.  I will be showing this video to anyone willing to sit still for the 5 minutes.  Very very well done.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Thanks Gavin for sharing your eyes.

I have been in the factory last year so I know what is happening there.
They are artists for real making these wonderfull tubes.
Don't worrie,
 these tubes last for a very long time, no need to replace.
I use them for more than 15 years now and enjoy every minute, still don't know where the end will be.

Cor

SET Man

I just watched it.  Very well done and mfr. of those KR tubes requires a heckuva lot of skill.  I hadn't considered how much of it requires the services of a skilled glassblower.  The construction and assembly of the cathode and anode, then mounting them inside the tube is very tedious and exacting.  The cost of these monsters starts making sense especially if you factor in the inevitable rejection rate.  I was very impressed but the thought of having to cough up thousands of dollars when you have to retube (2X if you own monoblocks) makes my lowly McIntosh 501 monoblocks look even more attractive.  I will be showing this video to anyone willing to sit still for the 5 minutes.  Very very well done.

Hey!

I was amazed of how that guy made it look so easy forming glass envelope from a long piece of glass tube. :D

Anyway, they don't just look good. But if you ever have a chance to hold one in your hand you will feel how solid and heavy those tube feel. Still I wish the price could be a bit lower :roll:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: