Any CD player recommendations?

guest1632

Re: Any CD player recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Dec 2010, 01:02 pm »
I am hesitant to go the modification route again. I have an EVS modified Oppo 980H with $600 in modifications on this $180 player and it is not significantly better than the stock 980.

There are some great recommendations here and I'm still doing my research.

Ray Bronk - I'm interested in reading the comparison of the Emotiva and the Piano M1. Do you have a link?

Hi, I've been racking my brain as to where I saw the review. I don't believe it was from an actual reviewer persay. If you wer going between just those two players, I would probably choose the Virtual Piano 1. main reason, It's not a typical CDP. Look at the reviews, and they will explain why. The Emotiv player from what reviews I have read, seem to indicate it's ok, better than the pricepoint, but the Piano is better still. Now, admittedly, this is a judgment call from what reviews I have read in the past. I'll be most interested in your final choice.

Ray Bronk

DTB300

« Reply #41 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:01 pm »
Add Warren Gregoire and Associates (for Sony) to the two excellent recommendations on modifiers, made by DTB300
Warren is a "US Agent/Installer" for Allen Wright and VSE mods.  I have heard good things about him (West Coast) and Bill Thalmann (East Coast).

DTB300

« Reply #42 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:07 pm »
I am hesitant to go the modification route again. I have an EVS modified Oppo 980H with $600 in modifications on this $180 player and it is not significantly better than the stock 980.
Was it just a part swapping mod?   

Does the company who did the mods offer the ability to remove the mods since you were not satisfied and put your player back to stock?  Both Modwright and VSE offer this type of warranty/satisfaction.

Part swapping never made as much a difference in sound IME.   New output section, new/improved power, new clocks is where the significant changes/improvements come from.

2gumby2

« Reply #43 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:18 pm »
Was it just a part swapping mod?   

Does the company who did the mods offer the ability to remove the mods since you were not satisfied and put your player back to stock?  Both Modwright and VSE offer this type of warranty/satisfaction.

Part swapping never made as much a difference in sound IME.   New output section, new/improved power, new clocks is where the significant changes/improvements come from.

It was about a year and a half ago and I can't remember the details on all the mods, but it was more than just a parts swap. At this point, I think I'll stay with a stock player.

guest1632

« Reply #44 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:24 am »
I'm in the market for a new CD player and came across the Pioneer PD-D9MK2 here:  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AudioComponents/Hi-FiAudio/ci.PD-D9MK2-K.Kuro

It looks very nice although I'm not sure which Wolfson DACs it is using. It's in the same price range as the Cambridge Audio 840 CD player wich has gotten good reviews in the press. The Pioneer also has SACD and is a plus. I'm in the initial stages of my search and thought some AC members would have some good input.

Hi again,

Well in that $500 to $700 price tag is also a good value from NAD. It's actual retail is $799. It the  NAD C-565Bee

Quoting from Audio Advisor:

"You Can't Go Wrong" Says Stereophile
Sitting proudly at the very top of NAD's Classic Series product line, The NAD C 565BEE boasts performance that is very close to the company's vaunted Masters Series M5 CD Player. Yet it only costs half as much!

"You won't go wrong with the C565BEE," says Sam Tellig in his Stereophile review for October 2009. "I loved the USB input."

"One Of The Best Values In High-End Audio"
"I'm not sure I knew exactly what to expect when I inserted the C 565BEE in my system, but I sure didn't expect it to sound much like my reference CD player, a Simaudio Moon Evolution SuperNova ($6500)," observes Doug Schneider in his December 2009 review for SoundStage, which honored the NAD with its Product of the Year Award for 2009. "Right now, it's one of the best values in high-end audio."

Doug Schneider and Sam Tellig has been around for awhile as reviewers. Anyway, just some more info for you to chew on.

Ray Bronk

2gumby2

« Reply #45 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:21 pm »
Thanks Ray Bronk for another good recommendation. I sent Virtue Audio some questions about their Piano M1 and awaiting their reply. I'll take a look at the NAD as well.

guest1632

« Reply #46 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
Thanks Ray Bronk for another good recommendation. I sent Virtue Audio some questions about their Piano M1 and awaiting their reply. I'll take a look at the NAD as well.

You are most welcome. I hope you get the answers to your questions soon.

Ray Bronk

2gumby2

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:04 pm »
I just wanted to provide an update in my CD player search. Thanks to the input from AC members here, I selected a CD player and hopefully it will arrive within the next month or so. (Mail is slow here.) I narrowed my choices down to the Marantz SA8004, Virtue Piano M1, Harman Kardon HK990, and the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. In my effort to gather as much information as possible, I contacted Harman Kardon's customer service number. After getting through the recorded phone tree relatively quickly, I was eventually forwarded to a call center in India. This was an immediate turn off for their product as I perceived the rep to have no real interest in customer service. (They did answer my questions though.) Another Hi-Fi dealer that I spoke with considered both the Marantz and Sony to be outstanding CD players and thought I would be happy with either one. So, I ended up purchasing the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. It was well regarded by most and if I decide to mod in the future, the Vacuum State mods seem very nice for this player. Another good feature of the Vacuum State mods is their money back policy if you don't like the mods. Thanks to all for your recommendations.

geowak

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:04 pm »
Rega Apollo

I bought a Cambridge Audio player at the same time. I kept the Rega. Very unique design and it sounds wonderful. I think Rega still makes it.  I added an external Benchmark DAC1 and it boosted the performance, but surprisingly not too much.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:15 am »
I just wanted to provide an update in my CD player search. Thanks to the input from AC members here, I selected a CD player and hopefully it will arrive within the next month or so. (Mail is slow here.) I narrowed my choices down to the Marantz SA8004, Virtue Piano M1, Harman Kardon HK990, and the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. In my effort to gather as much information as possible, I contacted Harman Kardon's customer service number. After getting through the recorded phone tree relatively quickly, I was eventually forwarded to a call center in India. This was an immediate turn off for their product as I perceived the rep to have no real interest in customer service. (They did answer my questions though.) Another Hi-Fi dealer that I spoke with considered both the Marantz and Sony to be outstanding CD players and thought I would be happy with either one. So, I ended up purchasing the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. It was well regarded by most and if I decide to mod in the future, the Vacuum State mods seem very nice for this player. Another good feature of the Vacuum State mods is their money back policy if you don't like the mods. Thanks to all for your recommendations.

Glad to hear it worked out....and thanks for the update....enjoy ! :beer:

guest1632

« Reply #50 on: 12 Jan 2011, 07:17 am »

Great! So how much was the Sony?

Ray Bronk

2gumby2

« Reply #51 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:52 am »
Great! So how much was the Sony?

Ray Bronk
I paid $1,200 including shipping to my military base.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:01 pm »
Enjoy!!!! and thanks for doing what you do!! :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #53 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm »
I paid $1,200 including shipping to my military base.

Hi, ok, so from a financial standpoint and possible sound why did you rule out the Piano 1 which is $600 or $700, don't remember which figure. Just curious.

Ray

2gumby2

« Reply #54 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:47 pm »
Hi, ok, so from a financial standpoint and possible sound why did you rule out the Piano 1 which is $600 or $700, don't remember which figure. Just curious.

Ray
It was consistently described as having a "tube like" sound which did not particularly appeal to me based on my experiences with tube equipment. I've had several vacuum tube preamps in my systems and never liked the result. None of them sounded as good as well designed solid state gear in my experience. Still, the Piano M1 is a beautiful unit and probably has some fine merits.

guest1632

« Reply #55 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:01 pm »
It was consistently described as having a "tube like" sound which did not particularly appeal to me based on my experiences with tube equipment. I've had several vacuum tube preamps in my systems and never liked the result. None of them sounded as good as well designed solid state gear in my experience. Still, the Piano M1 is a beautiful unit and probably has some fine merits.

Ok, i do understand. I hope the Sony is a good player for you.

Ray

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:10 pm »

I just wanted to provide an update in my CD player search. 

So, I ended up purchasing the Sony SCD-XA5400ES.

2gumby2:  Congratulations on your choice. You will have to update us on your impressions.

- David.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #57 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:26 pm »

Interesting.  What tube pieces have you tried?

2gumby2

« Reply #58 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm »
Interesting.  What tube pieces have you tried?
I've had two different modified Bottlhead Foreplays, a Jolida, an AVA, and another tube preamp a friend let me try about three years ago (forgot the brand). All of them had "hiss" through my Pi Speakers 2 Pi Towers and none of them were as satisfying as my solid state preamps. The Bottlehead gear is way over priced IMO and had a "brightness" to it that was pretty unpleasant.