MF7 Owners, These Look Familiar?

kip_

MF7 Owners, These Look Familiar?
« on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:21 am »
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143:von-schweikert-audio-unifield-1-loudspeakers&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

Von Schweikert's selling a bookshelf with the same driver as the MF7 in what looks like a parts express cabinet for 4k a pair. Wow, just wow.

Bemopti123

Re: MF7 Owners, These Look Familiar?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:40 am »
Talking about repackaging, rebadging, repeating and ripping off.  Not to discount 'research' costs associated with any product, but VK should be embarrassed at attempting to market things that should not remotely come close to 4K.  No wonder why many people are not into the b-ll that comes with high end stuff...  Of course, more conscious audiophiles should not fall into such obvious marking ploy.  Hopefully VK does not fall into the same trap as Mark Levinson's Red Rose brand. 

srb

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:48 am »
Von Schweikert's selling a bookshelf with the same driver as the MF7 in what looks like a parts express cabinet for 4k a pair

A cabinet can be a crucial component to the sound of a loudspeaker.  Just curious how the Von Schweikert 2.5" thick cabinet consisting of "resin impregnated MDF bonded to a middle liner of artificial stone laminated to hard felt" is being compared to a Parts Express cabinet?

Steve

h.rav

• Avid Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:09 am »
Ha, nice find. I often find name brand speakers to be overpriced but not this much.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:18 am »
PE cabs+ some damping, it is not as if the MDF material is 2.5", the speakers themselves do not weight too much.

What is telling is the comparative result, the Amphions being more competitive at a lower price point. 

Jeff K

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:19 am »
I saw this when I looked for the Verita test that I thought was going to be released Dec. 1 with NRC measurements. Maybe they aren't finished with the update.   :?

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2010, 07:59 am »
Bemopti123... let me get this straight... according to you, von Schweikert is "repackaging, rebadging, repeating, and ripping off" Parts Express?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:20 am »
if you really search the web you will be suprised at how many mfg are using these cabinets.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2010, 08:09 pm »

A cabinet can be a crucial component to the sound of a loudspeaker.  Just curious how the Von Schweikert 2.5" thick cabinet consisting of "resin impregnated MDF bonded to a middle liner of artificial stone laminated to hard felt" is being compared to a Parts Express cabinet?

Steve

In a smaller cabinet of this size with good bracing the liner will have a minimal effect on the sound.

pslate

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:01 pm »
I wonder what the mix is that they use with the epoxy, and if it is quartz. This seems really strange to me, as someone writing from an architecture/interiors firm. If the stuff is cast, why the heck isn't it exposed?  :scratch: Adding some MDF cladding to this construction is just curious. I wonder if they are just shoehorning cut pieces of quartz surfacing in there to make the radius.

Have you ever made enclosures from Corian or Zodiac Rick?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:04 pm »
I saw this when I looked for the Verita test that I thought was going to be released Dec. 1 with NRC measurements. Maybe they aren't finished with the update.   :?

The review is being edited now for the December 15th online publication.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2010, 12:40 am by Rick Craig »

kip_

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm »
The review is being edited now for the November 15th online publication.  :thumb:

I think you meant December 15th?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:30 am »
$4000 for those?  Seriously? 

Here's the woofer btw, take 30% off for Seas dealer price.  https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1615

I've used those drivers in the past btw, and they're average at best.  The tweeter measures like a roller coaster and needs multiple notches if you're going for anything resembling a flat response ... the woofer part is decent, same as any Seas Prestige line.

For 4 g's I'd at least expect the Mag cone version.  https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8494

Von Schweikert jumped the shark on this one.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:40 am »
I think you meant December 15th?

Ooooppps... corrected! Thanks!

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:00 am »
Bemopti123... let me get this straight... according to you, von Schweikert is "repackaging, rebadging, repeating, and ripping off" Parts Express?

1-Repacking, the cabs, sure. 
2-Rebadging, yes with that cheesy VK jewelry/trophy engraving place or something like that. 
Repeating, as doing 1 and 2 above to make enough cabs for their 4K creation. 
3-ripping off-not necessarily from PE but the idea of using that driver is a compact, prefab cab sound too close to what Rick did with his design.

I guess companies are allowed to venture into such enterprises if thinking that there is a marking for them...I guess VK is doing such thing and they are expecting that the economy will be recovering for people to purchase such original product or they will give a hefty negotiation marking to VK dealers to 'discount' in order to make a sale.  There must be plenty of people out there willing and able to drop 3-4K devalued USD for those speakers.

Paul 

Slanski62

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:44 am »
I wonder what the mix is that they use with the epoxy, and if it is quartz.

It looks suspiciously like gypsum aka sheet rock to me.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:57 am »
The company that makes the Parts Express cabinets also is a supplier for many other companies. There are also cabinets that look very similar but are manufactured elsewhere. The PE cabinets are good quality; otherwise, we wouldn't be using them.

As far as the value and performance of the VS speaker I'm not going to comment but I would welcome a direct comparison with the MF7 in a listening session. One thing I can say is that we've never been accused of overcharging customers for our speakers; in fact, I've had a few people tell me that the prices should be higher! I guess I could inflate them and then offer a big discount.  :wink:

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:05 am »
I would very much hand in my $$$$ to Rick than to VK.  Rick with his pricing is honest and does not think we are audio ATM machines!

I did not mean to knock you, Rick, nor the cabs that you or others might use, but the outrageousness of VK attempting to hack their wares as the next incredible thing, is rather outrageous. 

BTW, did VK commission the measurements to the NRC of Canada or the websine? 

srb

« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:39 am »
I can say is that we've never been accused of overcharging customers for our speakers; in fact, I've had a few people tell me that the prices should be higher!

Have you considered adding a Selah Audio "badge"? !

I did not mean to knock you, Rick, nor the cabs that you or others might use, but the outrageousness of VK attempting to hack their wares as the next incredible thing, is rather outrageous. 
BTW, did VK commission the measurements to the NRC of Canada or the websine?

In your many references to "VK", I will assume you are referring to Von Schweikert Audio, a.k.a. VSA.

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Dec 2010, 05:01 am »
I wonder what the mix is that they use with the epoxy, and if it is quartz. This seems really strange to me, as someone writing from an architecture/interiors firm. If the stuff is cast, why the heck isn't it exposed?  :scratch: Adding some MDF cladding to this construction is just curious. I wonder if they are just shoehorning cut pieces of quartz surfacing in there to make the radius.

Have you ever made enclosures from Corian or Zodiac Rick?

I have seen some Corian cabinets but never used the material myself.