Are you still impressed?

Robert D

Re: Are you still impressed?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:23 am »
I could have both Systems
the wife Prefers Bryston  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert
http://

ENJOY !!!!

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:32 am »
I think we all have to decide for ourselves what is important in our own systems and fortunately there is a large variety of choices out there :)

James

James........ Bottom Line .........it..... is what I have said in the past
it's the ears the ears that count buddy ....... nothing else .....

Thank you   Robert

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:52 am »
All I know is: BRYSTON 4 Life. I bleed black and silver!

That either makes you a Bryston fan or an Oakland Raiders fan :lol:

jaxwired

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:58 am »
Regarding Volks' switch, let's face it, amps do sound different.  I have to agree with his findings to some degree.  I noticed a missing midrange lushness when I switched to Bryston, but I also noticed more presence and more transparency.  For me, I prefer  the later, but I've no problem with someone preferring something else.  To me, there's different, but there's not better.  I've not heard something that just outclasses my Bryston gear, ever, period. 

GaryArthur

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:12 am »
Regarding Volks' switch, let's face it, amps do sound different.  I have to agree with his findings to some degree.  I noticed a missing midrange lushness when I switched to Bryston, but I also noticed more presence and more transparency.  For me, I prefer  the later, but I've no problem with someone preferring something else.  To me, there's different, but there's not better.  I've not heard something that just outclasses my Bryston gear, ever, period.

Interesting, the subject is - "Are you still impressed? Volks answer was a resounding NO! He was so not impressed that he has placed his $4500 list price Bryston 4B-SST2 with 300 watts per channel up for sale and purchased a $7500 list price McIntosh 452 with 450 watts per channel. As a Kef speaker owner I'm not surprised that the extra power of the $7500 amp made a difference, maybe even better. So let me modify jaxwired's last sentence.

For the given price range I have not heard any amp that outclasses my Bryston gear, ever, period.

(later this week when my 28's arrive I will drop the price range part of this statement)

VegasGary (see you all at CES)

ChrisBo

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:21 am »
Three months ago I got married and moved into my wife's condo. Unfortunately, there is not enough room for all of my gear so everything is still at my old place and probably won't move until we buy a new house (soon I hope).

When I get the chance I head back to my place and blast some tunes for a few hours. I am impressed every time and I can't wait until we have our new place so I can build my den/man cave!!!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:21 am »
I listened to MAC gear when I was audtioning the Magnepan 3.6 I bought. I listened via mainly Bryston, and then just to hear something else play the Maggies, I had them hook up the MAc stuff. I was immediately turned of by the Mac gear as to my ears it had a thick veil over the music. It just to me sounded very 'old school'. That is it sounded like something I would have heard 30 years ago. Where the Bryston had a great clear sound.
So I understand some folks like that old school sound, but not me.
I woould say if a naysayer about Bryston is commenting on his change from Bryston to some other brand... well good for him.
==============================
If we can stand up and say we each make our own choices.. And not jump on someone who disagrees, then we are better for it. Being afraid of dissent is not a good thing. (though it is odd that a guy who has abandoned Bryston, would be reading posts here???)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:57 am »
That either makes you a Bryston fan or an Oakland Raiders fan :lol:

I'm both actually! Seriously.

Volks needs to leave on his own accord. There's no reason for him to stick around here.

Let me tell you something, if I changed brands, I wouldn't go on here and blab about it. I would quietly leave.

That's the classy move. Am I saying Volks has no class? No. I don't know the guy. However, making a post like that in the Bryston board is a bit misguided, I'd say. And plus the fact that he's advertising the sale of the Bryston gear to boot.

Yeah, I'm disgusted. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel, and I make no apologies.

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:00 am »
Interesting, the subject is - "Are you still impressed? Volks answer was a resounding NO! He was so not impressed that he has placed his $4500 list price Bryston 4B-SST2 with 300 watts per channel up for sale and purchased a $7500 list price McIntosh 452 with 450 watts per channel. As a Kef speaker owner I'm not surprised that the extra power of the $7500 amp made a difference, maybe even better. So let me modify jaxwired's last sentence.

For the given price range I have not heard any amp that outclasses my Bryston gear, ever, period.

(later this week when my 28's arrive I will drop the price range part of this statement)

VegasGary (see you all at CES)

Right, the obvious thing to do is compare that 452 to a 14B! Not a 4B. That's absurd.

Cool. See you at CES too! Bryston room? I'll be there!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:47 pm »
Can anyone define "Organic" in relation to a listening experience.! Are Mac amps pesticide free perhaps? I think it may be a pleasant form of coloration. I will remain "neutral" with my Bryston gear because of the perceived neutrality.  :thumb:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:17 pm »
I think James T has it right. Bottom line, it's about making people happy and about the music. When I was in the business the most important part of a sale was determining the client's needs; fail there and you've failed period, no matter what she ends up with.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. I like some Mac gear and I like a lot of Bryston gear. I could be happy with either, and even then it would depend on some intangibles that in the end demand compromise. Perfection still eludes us, but that's normal, not extraordinary, no matter what the topic. After all, I'm also a Raiders fan ;-)

I hope this doesn't end up being a us vs them thread; competitors always either respect each other or risk losing perspective and believing their own press clippings. I'm just as happy that people here love their Bryston systems as I'm happy someone found Audio Nirvana elsewhere. I don't think people who use other gear are going to want to hang around in this circle long, so I don't see the point of complaining they're here at all.

Back on topic, I am still impressed. If you keep the goal in mind ... that it's always about the music ... happiness is bound to follow. If you lose sight of that and think there is some magic bullet that you, for some reason, don't own, you won't stay impressed for long.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:19 pm »
great idea for a thread, Laundrew!

yes, i am still impressed by the sound of my system. especially all the vinyl i that have. i swear there is sound i never heard before!! instruments, background, voices...everything is just THERE. amazing.

so thanks, Bryston! :D

al.

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:29 pm »
I think James T has it right. Bottom line, it's about making people happy and about the music. When I was in the business the most important part of a sale was determining the client's needs; fail there and you've failed period, no matter what she ends up with.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. I like some Mac gear and I like a lot of Bryston gear. I could be happy with either, and even then it would depend on some intangibles that in the end demand compromise. Perfection still eludes us, but that's normal, not extraordinary, no matter what the topic. After all, I'm also a Raiders fan ;-)

I hope this doesn't end up being a us vs them thread; competitors always either respect each other or risk losing perspective and believing their own press clippings. I'm just as happy that people here love their Bryston systems as I'm happy someone found Audio Nirvana elsewhere. I don't think people who use other gear are going to want to hang around in this circle long, so I don't see the point of complaining they're here at all.

Back on topic, I am still impressed. If you keep the goal in mind ... that it's always about the music ... happiness is bound to follow. If you lose sight of that and think there is some magic bullet that you, for some reason, don't own, you won't stay impressed for long.

Cool. But do you understand what I'm saying? Again, it's kinda bogus to come on here and profess your love for another brand and go on and on about it, then announce that you're selling your Bryston gear instead of quietly leaving and throwing up the gear on say, Audiogon. I mean I know most of you are not irritated at this, but I am. I just think it's a very misguided move. I also think it's a low class move. As they say, think before you act.

I'll tell you something, if I was a McIntosh user and told the guys over at their board I love Bryston and switched over to it, you damn well better bet there would be one Hell of an uproar. McIntosh users are fiercely loyal, and anyone that says boo to them will get the guillotine, so to speak. They look at themselves as a family of sorts. I suppose us Bryston owners do too, but I believe they take it to extremes.

That's my take.  8)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
 So let me get this straight, unless you have nothing but high praise for Bryston you cannot post that  ? hry i enjoyed my time with a Bryston 4BST amp with the Maggie 3As. Later on tried an audio Researdh DR250 servo and there was no turning back.
  I can understand if one comes here and really puts Bryston down but all the guy said was he changed over. Live and let live. Yes it is the Bryston Circle but its not a private club, its AC. How do you think I feel after several posts and no response to my comments. No that is low class.  :thumb:

charles

vegasdave

« Reply #34 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:57 pm »
No, that's not it at all. He not only said he changed over, but went on and on about how great the McIntosh is and then advertised a sale of his Bryston gear.

I mean why say that? What is the point?

You shut up, leave, and sell your stuff. He pretty much made his bed, you know?

Therefore he can go here...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

1ZIP

« Reply #35 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:09 pm »
In response to the original question:

Yes, I'm impressed, almost amazed, each time I turn the gear on and that applies to each system I've got.  Two are Bryston based and the other is a McIntosh integrated.  Different sounds for sure, but I like them both. 

whanafi

« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:13 pm »
Count me in on the side of free speech.  There are enough religions and cults around without another one here. 

This is equipment.  Sometimes it malfunctions, sometimes you can't figure out how to do something, sometimes it is just broken.  If you can only post saying "wow, everything is fantastic and nothing else matters" this is a pretty boring place.

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm »
Count me in on the side of free speech.  There are enough religions and cults around without another one here. 

This is equipment.  Sometimes it malfunctions, sometimes you can't figure out how to do something, sometimes it is just broken.  If you can only post saying "wow, everything is fantastic and nothing else matters" this is a pretty boring place.

Oh, I know. I agree. Anyway, I believe I've made myself clear on this issue.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:22 pm »
Cool. But do you understand what I'm saying? Again, it's kinda bogus to come on here and profess your love for another brand and go on and on about it, then announce that you're selling your Bryston gear instead of quietly leaving and throwing up the gear on say, Audiogon. I mean I know most of you are not irritated at this, but I am. I just think it's a very misguided move. I also think it's a low class move. As they say, think before you act.

I'll tell you something, if I was a McIntosh user and told the guys over at their board I love Bryston and switched over to it, you damn well better bet there would be one Hell of an uproar. McIntosh users are fiercely loyal, and anyone that says boo to them will get the guillotine, so to speak. They look at themselves as a family of sorts. I suppose us Bryston owners do too, but I believe they take it to extremes.

That's my take. icon_cool.gif
Well, I think some of them would make a fuss and others would go "that's nice" and move on. I appreciate your position and you're response, and I don't have a problem with either; I just want to say "I heard you". I'm neither annoyed or surprised that someone who bit the bullet and shelled out cash for something non-Bryston is a little exuberant about the transaction and the perceived benefit it brings him, real or imagined. People do that; there's entire textbooks written about consumer psychology that address that very thing.

But every time we mention that "other" brand in a reply in this circle, we drag it up when it should just go away quietly. And if we let it I'm pretty confident it will.

Hey, it's just my thoughts on the matter and a suggestion to consider. Feel free to post whatever you like. I just wanted to throw it out there.

srb

« Reply #39 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:25 pm »
The topic posed by a Bryston user was "Are you still impressed?", not "Are you still impressed? (But if not, please don't reply or tell us why)".  Your somewhat overly zealous and overly defensive postured stance would be more appropiate if he somehow maligned your first-born child.  Which he didn't.

Instead, be proud that the majority of responses were "Yes!".  As someone who has considered, but cannot yet afford Bryston gear, it is a little off putting.

BTW, I see you have FM Acoustics interconnects.  Bryston makes interconnects.  Traitor!

Steve