Are you still impressed?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Are you still impressed?
« on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:46 pm »
Does your audio gear still impress or dare I say surprise you at times? My audio system has been a most cherished and integral part of my room - my Xanadu, for a little over a year and at times, it will still make me sit up and really take notice. It seems to personify the simple nuances of music whether it is a slight tremor in a female gothic singer’s voice or a bell which seems to resonate forever. A darkened room enveloped in dark music; a windswept, desolate shoreline under foreboding skies - my gear, my music, I am home.

Truly awesome.

Be well… 

1oldguy

Re: Are you still impressed?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:03 pm »
I now proceed to hide in a corner,crouched,scared to death. 8)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:19 pm »
My music system has been a part of my existence for so long a time it is more an extension of me than something external that might surprise me.
I have been listening to music on a reasonably good system since 1965...
I did have a few years without one, (being a wayward hippie going to college sort) but that was soon remedied.
So I can certainly say some new to me music has suprised me, and astonished me, but as the equipment goes, it does sometimes give me a bit more than it used to with upgrades and such, but generally I am just happy to find some tweak or new thing that allows me to listen better with less effort.
I really blew a huge wad of cash last Spring on stereo stuff, when I retired, and was a bit nervous about what i did until I felt certain I did not make a mistake. So that was more of an anxiety thing. (Having made mistakes in the past making a big change and hating it: Traded in a fine Hafler DH110 pre for a chunk of crap Sony digital pre.. then dumping that after the hypnotic sheen  of the bells and whistles wore off, and got a beautiful Counterpoint 2000 pre, which i loved the sound of, which broke a few times and broke my heart. Then an Adcom for reliability.. then an Audio Research Sp-10 which was no great shakes (probably because of the tubes in it), so I tried an Audio Research SP-15 which was way better, and sold that SP-10 for $$$$ and way more than I paid for it (basically got the SP-15 for free!) then, and for now a Bryston BP-26)
Anyway, I love listening to music, and spend (now that I am retired) about 10 hours a day nearly every day listening to music.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:27 pm »
Yes. 

I haven't been able to listen much over the past month or so.  So, I fired it up this past weekend and it is, without a doubt, purchasing the Bryston was the best money, ever spent, on audio.

HsvHeelFan

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2010, 09:48 pm »
Hi,

I am new to Bryston, but long in a hobby.
My brand new BP26 is ten days at my home and also new BDA is two days.
I enjoy my new gear every hour and it's really great to listen how both units develop themself from day to day into something very appealing and serious.

I believe that I will enjoy my new stuff even after many months and years like you do.

Cheers,
Oz

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm »
Laundrew

Like I have said in the Past

Does it get any Better  :thumb: :D :thumb:

Robert

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 02:07 am by Robert D »

VOLKS

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:10 am »
I am still impressed,but....I had a chance to visit my local Mcintosh dealer today and i have certainly always enjoyed the sound of Mcintosh,but never wanted to "Jump Ship" ,because the sound of the old Mcintosh Amps/preamps always sounded "dark" to me compared to the sound of  Bryston which to me is a very dynamic,open,transparent sound...........
Well......I brought along with me a few of my fav CD's and LP's and for the next 6 hours was transfixed on what i experienced .......what i heard comming from this MC 452 amp compared to my Bryston 4BSST2 made my head spin.....where the Bryston was very dynamic the MC 452 was just as much,but with a much more "Organic Fleshy" sound to the Midrange on every CD/LP i played.....does it make any sense when i say the voices sounded more "Human"?
The Bass authority gave me goosebumps and my toe was tapping for the whole 6 hours.Such bass control and balance...........my Bryston 4BSST2 never lacked in Bass,but again.........there was something that the Mac was doing that i never experienced with my Bryston.
By this time i was scared(yes sacred)......scared,because i realized i really wanted this sound at home and what would i have to do to get it?

Over the next 14 days i listened to the New Mcintosh  MC 452 actually hooked up to my own speakers(KEF 207/2's),afterall maybe it was the Mcintosh XR200 speakers hooked up to the MC 452 that gave it the sound that i first heard?........well alas NO.......that same beautiful Organic sound i heard days ago ......i also heard on my KEF's.It was the most Fluid sounding rich bodied musical notes i have ever experienced.I have never heard my Kef's sound like this before.

By now you proably know where this is going right?..........Yup.......i opened my wallet and bought the new Model MC 452 and a C50 Preamp.....and in doing so i will have what i feel is Organic Beauty Musical Bliss that was missing in my Bryston setup when compared to the Mcintosh.........My Bryston 4 BSST2 Amp/ BP 26 Pre Amp is now for sale.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:25 am »
I am stilled thrilled by my system.  I'd say over the past few years when I've gone into dealers, with the exception of once, I have been very underwhelmed by what I heard vs. what I had, including more expensive things.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:28 am »
I am still impressed,but....I had a chance to visit my local Mcintosh dealer today and i have certainly always enjoyed the sound of Mcintosh,but never wanted to "Jump Ship" ,because the sound of the old Mcintosh Amps/preamps always sounded "dark" to me compared to the sound of  Bryston which to me is a very dynamic,open,transparent sound...........
Well......I brought along with me a few of my fav CD's and LP's and for the next 6 hours was transfixed on what i experienced .......what i heard comming from this MC 452 amp compared to my Bryston 4BSST2 made my head spin.....where the Bryston was very dynamic the MC 452 was just as much,but with a much more "Organic Fleshy" sound to the Midrange on every CD/LP i played.....does it make any sense when i say the voices sounded more "Human"?
The Bass authority gave me goosebumps and my toe was tapping for the whole 6 hours.Such bass control and balance...........my Bryston 4BSST2 never lacked in Bass,but again.........there was something that the Mac was doing that i never experienced with my Bryston.
By this time i was scared(yes sacred)......scared,because i realized i really wanted this sound at home and what would i have to do to get it?

Over the next 14 days i listened to the New Mcintosh  MC 452 actually hooked up to my own speakers(KEF 207/2's),afterall maybe it was the Mcintosh XR200 speakers hooked up to the MC 452 that gave it the sound that i first heard?........well alas NO.......that same beautiful Organic sound i heard days ago ......i also heard on my KEF's.It was the most Fluid sounding rich bodied musical notes i have ever experienced.I have never heard my Kef's sound like this before.

By now you proably know where this is going right?..........Yup.......i opened my wallet and bought the new Model MC 452 and a C50 Preamp.....and in doing so i will have what i feel is Organic Beauty Musical Bliss that was missing in my Bryston setup when compared to the Mcintosh.........My Bryston 4 BSST2 Amp/ BP 26 Pre Amp is now for sale.

Traitor! How dare you! Leave this forum NOW! :evil:

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:30 am »
Oh yeah, my system's always rockin'. From dusk 'til dawn. It takes me everywhere I wanna go. It's the holy altar of superior sound and rock n' roll which I kneel before!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:41 am »
Still getting good liftoff every afternoon ( when the neigbhours are out, heh heh). :bounce: :banana piano: :beer: :weights: :dance: :wine:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »

At the end of the day, we must all kneel not only to the dictates of our ears, but also that of our souls; our personal music combined with the right system is truly spiritual. Congratulations on your new gear VOLKS and I know that you will be very happy with it for many years - awesome system! McIntosh gear also looks outstanding in dim lit rooms!

:thumb:

Be well… 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
I think we all have to decide for ourselves what is important in our own systems and fortunately there is a large variety of choices out there :)

James

srb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:50 am »
Yup.......i opened my wallet and bought the new Model MC 452 and a C50 Preamp.....

I wanted to see what you bought, but even though you typed MC 452 4 times (so it's probably not a typo), the closest model numbers I can find are an MC252 and an MC402 in the current McIntosh amplifier product list.

Steve

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:56 am »
I think we all have to decide for ourselves what is important in our own systems and fortunately there is a large variety of choices out there :)

James

I understand James. But it's irritating to see this man gush on this board about another manufacturer's equipment. It's uncalled for, in my opinion. Especially since he was so gung ho about Bryston. I've heard so many other manufacturer's stuff at places such as CES, and they may or may not be better in a few, a few areas than the Bryston gear that I own. However, I feel Bryston as a whole offers the complete experience of sound and music. And the price is right, so why spend thousands more on superficial stuff like looks and chrome faceplates?

Anyway James, you're the boss here, and this is up to you.

VOLKS

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:01 am »

I wanted to see what you bought, but even though you typed MC 452 4 times (so it's probably not a typo), the closest model numbers I can find are an MC252 and an MC402 in the current McIntosh amplifier product list.

Steve

Hi Steve,
           Its a new Model that is not yet listed on their website yet.If you wanna take a look at it...just google it.

VOLKS

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:02 am »
At the end of the day, we must all kneel not only to the dictates of our ears, but also that of our souls; our personal music combined with the right system is truly spiritual. Congratulations on your new gear VOLKS and I know that you will be very happy with it for many years - awesome system! McIntosh gear also looks outstanding in dim lit rooms!

Be well…
Thank You Laundrew :D

BrysTony

« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:04 am »

James

I agree.  McIntosh certainly makes excellent equipment as do many other manufacturers.  I know about McIntosh because I owned McIntosh gear for 7 years before I converted over to Bryston.   :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:06 am »
All I know is: BRYSTON 4 Life. I bleed black and silver!

Robert D

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:10 am »

Be well…
I could have both Systems
the wife Prefers Bryston  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert