IPad Question

Pez

Re: IPad Question
« Reply #40 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
Hmm, well right now definitely the iPad because of the 3G go anywhere capability. Now with iOS 4.2 it has almost all the functionality of a laptop and then some. However more than once I found myself a little stifled when trying to do more complex tasks. not to mention that uploading/downloading is virtually impossible over the Internet on iPad. Dare I say lack of flash compatibility is frustrating at times on iPad.  :o I am probably going to buy a MacBook air to fill in the 'heavy lifting' for on the go computing. Right now my 15" MBP is more of a beastly burden than a beast of burden.  :duh:

tomjtx

« Reply #41 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:59 am »
Thanks for that helpful post, tomjtx :thumb:

You answered several questions for me in one shot...

Should I buy the Navigon GPS for my iPhone and ditch my old Tom Tom?  Yep

Should I care about 3G on a future purchase of iPad? Nope

Can I tether my iPhone to my (future) iPad if needed?  Yep, by jailbreaking my iPhone taking a few minutes and few $$

So, only question you didn't answer - do all those cradle mounts for iPhone have adjustable widths?  I have a rather bulbous Ballistic case on my iPhone, so it's a lot wider than the standard issue of those with the simple frame-type-case around the phone.

I, too, travel in US, Europe (and Asia), so I'm trying to reduce bulk whenever possible.  Now with cloud storage from SugarSync on tap - all my files that I may need are ready so for a day or two trip I wouldn't need my laptop anymore as I can send files from my phone or (future) iPad :)

Longer than a day or two and I may need document processing abilities to change or add in Word, Excel, Powerpoint mostly.

John

Glad to return the favor, John   (your magnacart has been great for gigs)

I don't think width of case is a problem. But having a very open bottom for the dock is necessary. I had an Ifrogz case that worked but now I have a fusionwerkz milled aluminum case that fits well as well.

The cradle I bought is height adjustable and that is important with the IP4. I got the Magellan car kit which fits the IP4. I don't think the TomTom cradle does.

And I almost forgot: with Square you can run someones credit card for a sale on the Iphone or Ipad and email them a receipt. The Square card reader is free and there is no monthly fee. Great for a garage sale or selling one of my guitars :-)

Tom

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #42 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:58 am »

Don_S

« Reply #43 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:18 pm »
I saw those numbers in several places in financial news I read. I also read that it was the fastest selling consumer product ever!

There was never any mention of special prices for Black Friday.  Were any Apple products discounted?

Heard this on the news today...

It's hot..... :hyper:

Apple Store count: 8.8 iPads sold per hour per store on Black Friday....

vintagebob

« Reply #44 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:10 pm »
Many Apple products were discounted for Black Friday.  iPads were something like $41 cheaper.

Don_S

« Reply #45 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:07 pm »
Many Apple products were discounted for Black Friday.  iPads were something like $41 cheaper.

Thanks Bob.   Not enough of a discount to make me go within five miles of the mall. Scary place on BF. I would have said ten miles but I think I live nine miles away.  :lol:

Pez

« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:41 pm »
"The Mac for the masses"

An interesting point. Ironically people get all up in arms if you call it a computer, same with calling it a tablet or a PMP. Yet it replaces or bests all of these devices in most cases.

I think Steve Jobs is the only person that counts Touches, iPhones and iPads in any way that makes sense, by just saying 'iOS' devices. When you think of it that way you realize Apple has created a very large and cohesive ecosystem. someone who owns an iPhone is not likely to buy a tablet from any other company, and someone who owns an iPad will like not buy an android phone.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:01 pm »
someone who owns an iPad will like not buy an android phone.

:nono: What does that make me?  Be nice!  :)

Anpad? 

Pez

« Reply #48 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:03 pm »
I said "not likely" which means you are an outlier.  :P

Levi

« Reply #49 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:52 pm »
I would say buy the most memory you can get.  Load lots of movies and enjoy it on long travels.

Lucky kid. :)

Lyndon

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:19 am »
Those better be noise cancelling Bose headphones, Levi, or the AC faithful will have to keelhaul you. :nono:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelhauling

Or perhaps take away all your toys, and force you to listen to an Emerson stereo for a week.  And I'm not talking about Emerson,
Lake, & Palmer.
 :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:25 am »
  :nono: What does that make me?  Be nice!  :)

Anpad?

An educated and thoughtful consumer...not a single brand zealot. 

BTW, I own an Android phone and now an iPad.  :-)

George

Levi

« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:48 am »
Funny Lyndon.

Knowing your extensive training and high educational background, I hope you don't rely heavily on Wiki. LOL!

Those better be noise cancelling Bose headphones, Levi, or the AC faithful will have to keelhaul you. :nono:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelhauling

Or perhaps take away all your toys, and force you to listen to an Emerson stereo for a week.  And I'm not talking about Emerson,
Lake, & Palmer.
 :icon_lol: :icon_lol: