Macbook manipulating Mac Mini

dburna

Re: Macbook manipulating Mac Mini
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2010, 08:16 pm »
Thanks guys, both great posts.

So, with using an iPad to control iTunes, is it a p.i.t.a. to type and search for music? 

I've got ~2,000 CDs in my iTune library and frequently end up typing in the find/search window.  I could, no doubt, get better at making playlists and sorting as that is a to-do list, work in  progress task.

Thanks
Kenreau

Naaaaah, not a problem.  iPad is fine for light typing applications like iTunes.  I just wouldn't want to do any kind of serious word-processing on it.

-dB
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2010, 10:06 pm by dburna »

vintagebob

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2010, 08:27 pm »
Thanks guys, both great posts.

So, with using an iPad to control iTunes, is it a p.i.t.a. to type and search for music? 

I've got ~2,000 CDs in my iTune library and frequently end up typing in the find/search window.  I could, no doubt, get better at making playlists and sorting as that is a to-do list, work in  progress task.

Thanks
Kenreau

Just to be clear, I use the Desktop Connect for general control, i.e. mouse & keyboard, of my Mac Mini.  I use the Apple Remote application for listening to music.  The recent software update to Remote on the iPad makes it much more like the desktop version of iTunes.  It should be easy to search your library.  Here is a screenshot from the new iPad version of Remote.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8#

genjamon

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »
I'm actually using an Asus EEEpc netbook running a stripped down version of linux (Xubuntu).  There's a linux freeware for screen sharing.  I'm also pretty confident there are windows screen sharing apps.  I'd say get your hands on the cheapest laptop of any kind you can.  All of them should be up to the task, as long as they have wireless internet capability.  I wouldn't necessarily worry about an Apple product if you have something else around that might work.

Ben

nickd

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
To Clairify,

The Ipad is a fun toy. 8) It works ok for screen sharing or a remote. just not both at the same time. I use Amarra and Play software. They inturn use the I tunes library to source the files. You have to drag and drop files into the "playlists" to fully realize the amazing sound :o these programs are capable of. That kind of operation is all but impossible using the IPad.

as for the IPad (onboard) touch screen keyboard. it will do in a pinch, but it is no substitute for the real thing. :(

I may keep the I pad, it's fun to play with. For SS operation I'm shopping for a deal on a Macbook or Air to simpilfy operation of my mini server.