Need suggestion on cheap 2-channel receiver

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Need suggestion on cheap 2-channel receiver
« on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:52 am »
My brother's old receiver has shot craps.  He's looking for moderate power (20-45 watts, more is OK), remote control, and MM phono inputs.  He found a Sherwood RX-4105 on Amazon for $100, but I think it has reliability issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

'brick

2gumby2

Re: Need suggestion on cheap 2-channel receiver
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:11 am »
Take a look at what Onkyo has to offer. I had the TX-8255 and was very happy with it. Sold it because I wanted a receiver with preamp outputs, but this Onkyo is very nice.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:49 pm »
NAD or HK would be my first choices.  Had both and was happy with either.

Laugh if you want, but for my low priority HT I use the cheapest Sony 6.1.  It sounds pretty good, does 75 wpc, and pulls in FM much better than my Rotel.

motosapien

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:02 am »
Marantz makes a nice two channel.   Or go to the pawn shops and find a name brand one that has some heft to it.  You might luck into and older HK or Denon.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:06 am »
Don't forget places like accessories4less.com.  They are authorized Marantz and Onkyo and you can get a certified factory refurb and an extended warranty from an independent co. like Warrantech for around dealer cost.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:18 pm »
If you can find some used NAD receivers it would be great.
The NAD 1600 have a remote, and sounds good.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:20 pm »
I have three NAD 701 receivers in my house.  Low power but sounds good, has remote, and is very compact.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2010, 07:41 pm »
Here's a couple of suggestions.  I also like Onkyo and would recommend it to a non-audiophile looking for a good receiver.

Also, since prologic receivers are in low to no demand, he could pick up a nice used one for little $$.  My experience with several Yamaha and Onkyo prologic receivers, which can be used in 2 channel, has been very positive.  I still keep a couple of them for spares.  And, they are solid performers.

If he could find a pre-Superscope Marantz stereo receiver in good condition, they are excellent 2 channel receivers.