Wish I'd Never Bought It
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: 25 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm

Poll on AVA Insight Power Amplifiers

Mass. Wine Guy

Poll on AVA Insight Power Amplifiers
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm »
I realize (and believe in) all the very positive things many people feel about Frank's Insight power amps, but there have been some less than stellar comments. I've all but placed my order for an Insight 240, but would love to have a quick snapshot of opinion. It's all subjective, I know, but there are various used McIntosh and McCormack DNA amps around, too.

Thank you.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Poll on AVA Insight Power Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:41 pm »
Sounds like you're having doubts.  If so, go with your gut!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:52 pm »
Isn't there a return policy?  Can't lose much!

Minn Mark

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:20 pm »
I used an AVA Omega III amp for many years, before upgrading to Insight 440H. Flawless performance, and the BEST interactions with an audio equipment manufacturer I have ever had. The Insight sound is amazing. I have not upgraded to Insight+, but nevertheless: Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Mark

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:42 pm »
Never had an AVA amp. But he sure makes a "KILLER" preamp.  The AVAstar is the best I've owned.

Cheers
                                       Charlie

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:45 pm »
I realize (and believe in) all the very positive things many people feel about Frank's Insight power amps, but there have been some less than stellar comments. I've all but placed my order for an Insight 240, but would love to have a quick snapshot of opinion. It's all subjective, I know, but there are various used McIntosh and McCormack DNA amps around, too.

Thank you.

Well only one way to find out, order one and return it if not your cup of tea. First off what speakers are you using ? That can make the choice easier. Will there be a preamp mismatch ?

charles

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:50 pm »
I have OmegaStar 260EX that I will upgrade to Insight+ eventually. Also have AVA T8+. Both perform flawlessly and sound great  :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:16 pm »
I have not been tempted or even considered replacing my AVA amp. This summer I sent my 440 back to Frank for the + Double Die upgrade, the temporary replacement was an Anthem amp. The sound was shockingly bad, the first thing I said was "where did the magic go?", I didn't listen to very much music until I got the 440 back.

Did you go for the Double Die upgrade? The bass seems to dig just a little deeper and the amps dynamic range is just a little more effortless.

Wayne

AVnerdguy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:19 pm »
I currently own an AvaStar pre and a FetValve 550+ double and they are an outstanding pair and good value.

I don't have an Insight but while waiting for my FV550 to be built Frank let me use one for a month. Very clean and with great detail. Can't say enough good things about the customer service.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:20 pm »
My AVA Ultravalve Amp is simply 'AWESOME'.

When I die its going with me....

:D

All the best
Alex

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:39 pm »
Good stuff - I've owned various components from Frank for decades - only stuff that I have heard better (very rarely) costs 10 times or more....

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:58 pm »
have a quick snapshot of opinion. It's all subjective, I know, but there are various used McIntosh and McCormack DNA amps around, too.

I'd be willing to be that one of Frank's amps will last at least as long as a McIntosh amp, and longer than a McCormack.

Also, you'll be buying a product that can be upgraded in the future if you want to do so. Just as a for instance, I had a Hafler DH-220 that I had Frank mod in the '80s. I used it that way for many years and then had it upgraded to the OmegaStar circuits. My brother is using it now, and it still performs very well. He can, if he wishes, have it upgraded to Insight+. He would get a warranty with that upgrade too, so it's just like having a new amp.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:59 pm »
Interestingly enough, we had a company meeting last Sunday and got to audition a couple of new prototypes. These are simply Dr. Dean playing around stuff. There are no new amps in the pipeline, so you all can relax. It's just fun to see that there is always work in progress.

Wayner  :D

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2010, 07:59 pm »
A while back there was an AVA Insight 240 amp on A'gon in great condition for $425.  I'm still kicking myself. :duh:  Turkey is right, reliability, upgrades, great reputation... I'd say go for it.  :green:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:31 am »
Well, I caved a bit and bought a used Class D Audio SDS254 off our own board. Of course, not an AVA, but money is tight and I have high hopes for this amp. If they get dashed, then it's hello Frank.