My next N-3 project with only a jigsaw!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: My next N-3 project with only a jigsaw!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:37 am »
Go for it.  I'm eager to see the pictures as you put the cabinet together.  :roll:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:30 am »
I once cut through a piece of plywood with a butter knife and a hammer to make a shelf.

OMG, I just laughed so hard I almost shot beer out of my nose! The mental image of someone doing that is gut-busting funny :lol:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
OMG, I just laughed so hard I almost shot beer out of my nose! The mental image of someone doing that is gut-busting funny :lol:

Well you know, I wanted that shelf and wouldn't be denied...

SlushPuppy

« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:45 am »
I guess so :lol:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:20 am »
Which aluminum guide do you use?

kramertc, the aluminum guides posted by django11 and jwalker are similar to mine, probably better.  On the cheap, you can use a straight piece of 1 x 2 - 48" and a pair of screw down C clamps.  But, the adjustable guides are much faster to use.  I've done it both ways.

You can get excellent result using a circular saw if you are patient.  Always measure twice, cut once!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:32 am »
This makes a very good guide.  You have to use clamps to hold it down.  The great advantage over the aluminum guide is that you don't have to do any subtractions.   You just put it down on your mark and cut...

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:59 am »
I think what is hard to understand is spending big bucks on kits and then proclaiming that building enclosures is your hobby and not wanting to buy a cheap $20 router.  No offense but it doens't make sense.  The N3 has no less than 20 surfaces that need to be routered.  :scratch:

By all means do what makes you happy, but if you are looking for people to say he great idea go for it, you won't find it here.  People are more likely to say Guy thats crazy.  Maybe thats ok, but it is hard to understand.
Hi cOz.
At the time when I spent BIG bucks on my three kits, I had the money and a cabinet maker to make the enclosures for me , since then, I have fired the cabinet maker and I am now on a money diet with only a jigsaw.
Now, I don't know where you can find a 20 USD router, because here in Vietnam, the cheapest one I could find was 40 USD and it's a made in China and it looked so cheap that I am not even sure if it could last for more than one project.
No offense taken. However, what does not make sense to you, can make lots of sense to me. Not everyone is the same, think and behave the same, thank God we are all different and that's what makes it interesteing to live on this planet.
As for the 20 different surfaces, I have alreay figure out a way of doing it, it will take me forever, but I have lots of spare time...
For your information, I find everything I need at Audio Circle: Support, criticisms, advices, sarcasms and more... And who are you to say that I wont find what I want at Audio Circle.
If you don't like my funny and intertaining threads, well, just don't read them.
As a matter of fact, I do enjoy the content of your thread.
When Audio Circle members tell me that I am crazy, I like it, because I know already that I am crazy.
Crazy Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:15 am »
I once cut through a piece of plywood with a butter knife and a hammer to make a shelf. I don't think I am either condescending or a snob.  I just see what you propose to do as the equivalent of drinking fine wine out of a chamber pot.  OK maybe I am a snob.  :lol:

It does seem to me though that if your hobby is speaker building then you need a minimum of tools.  I got along for a long time with a cheap circular saw mounted upside down under a piece of plywood for a table saw ( this works well BTW).  I view this as a minimum.  Hey but if you want to do it with a jig saw and know what you are getting into and accept it than I say have fun and take lots of pics  :thumb:...
Hi Eleven.
I did not say you were a snob, it's like I often say: If the hat don't fit, don't wear it ! However, if the hat fits, were it and pull it down until it cover your eyes and ears. (Ha, ha...)
I don't mind drinking orange juice (I don't drink, beer, wine and alcool) from a chamber pot, as lot it as been sterilized and I do it in complete darkness...
My hobby was getting the enclosures made by a cabinet maker and I did the mounting of the drivers and the wiring, but now, look as if I have to roll up my sleeves higher and get more involve in making the cabinet myself, however, I have to see what is the minimum number of tools I need for that project and since the N3 is a very small project, I try to get away with a minumum of tools. Next year, when I will sell my V1 and V2 I will have money to buy power tools, however, my problem is that in a few years I will go back to Canada with 230V power tools that will probably be unrepaireable in my home country.
Decision, decision...
With all the inputs I received from the Audio Circle members, I think I could do a decent job with only a circlular saw and a router, I will see if my brother in Canada can buy for me some Craftsman tools from Sears. I have no problem with 120V tools as I have in my house both voltages.
Thanks for your advices, it's well writen, cannot say the same with some other Audio Circle members... (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:20 am »
Go for it.  I'm eager to see the pictures as you put the cabinet together.  :roll:
Hi Clark.
Thanks for your words of encouragement.
So, you would like to see some pictures, well, if I decide to go ahead with the N3 project, you will see, as usual, plenty of pictures...
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:21 am »
This makes a very good guide.  You have to use clamps to hold it down.  The great advantage over the aluminum guide is that you don't have to do any subtractions.   You just put it down on your mark and cut...

Thanks Eleven,
good idea.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:29 am »
Which aluminum guide do you use?

Guy,
I just finished a pair of sub enclosures with a jigsaw as my cutting tool.  If I'd known beforehand what I learned from two hard weekends of straightening out the cuts and fit I'd had started with a circular saw.  Admittedly  I am a big time rookie and I'm sure someone with experience would have done a better job.  But still...all the advice you are getting in this thread is valuable.
Hi kramertc.
(I can't guess what kramertc stand for ? ? ? Please share with us how you came up which such an exotic name like that.)
Well, I am happy to see that I am not the only one that is or want to use only a jigsaw to do some cabinet work, therefore, now I konw it can be done.
I am quite aware that using a jigsaw will take time and lots of attention to make sure everything is straight, but it can be done.
Well kramertc, thanks for sharing with me and us your jigsaw experience or should I say; Adventure.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:39 am »
Something like this is 36$ on Amazon

Hi Eleven.
I saw that it's also available from Home depot, I have some relatives coming to Vietnam, they could bring one or two with them.
Thanks.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:49 am »
I use these Bora clamps because they let you clamp at an angle. Get a 50" one if you want to be able to make those long cuts across a 4' wide panel.  Get a few if you can. They are handy as clamps too.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202358341&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202358341&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202358341&locStoreNum=630&marketID=21
Hi Jwalker.
Up to now, that model you are suggesting is the best and the most versatile.
It's also better for me to get them from Home depot as I don't like the eBay style purchase site. In addition, if I ask my relative to buy it for me and bring it with them on their next trip to Vietnam, they might say... It's a gift ! ? ! ?
Thanks a lot. All you Audio Circle members are cheering me up with all your good ideas for my N3 project. However, I still have some unanswered questions that Danny cannot answer because he is too busy (I guess), but I will find answers with the help of Audio circle members.
Guy 13

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #33 on: 24 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm »
I will see if my brother in Canada can buy for me some Craftsman tools from Sears. I have no problem with 120V tools as I have in my house both voltages.

Craftsman tools are far overpriced and are only of interest if you can get a half price sale. 

If you already have a jigsaw you could always just get a router.  With a 2hp plunge router a straight bit and a straight edge you can clean up all cuts and make the driver inlays.

Guy 13

« Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2010, 12:33 pm »
Craftsman tools are far overpriced and are only of interest if you can get a half price sale. 

If you already have a jigsaw you could always just get a router.  With a 2hp plunge router a straight bit and a straight edge you can clean up all cuts and make the driver inlays.
Hi Eleven.
I saw on Sears Canada website a router for 107 $ and a circular saw with laser and lamp for 79.99 $, is that overpriced ? I think not, well, for me anyway. In addition, their no question asked warranty is one of the best. I bought stuff from them in the past.
Can I get away with less than 2HP motor for the router? This router will be only for light duty projects.
By the way, what is the difference between a plunger router and a router?
Do you have more information on the router bits, (Pictures would be ideal) I saw so many models that I am confused to which to choose and which would be best for my N3 project and also for futur projects as well.
Thanks.
Guy 13.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #35 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:41 pm »
Hi Thirteen,

That price isn't too bad.  You won't find a laser on any of the better models so infer from that what you like.  I suppose someone has to keep Sears in business :wink:.

A plunge router is very useful for making a cut in the middle of a surface, like a hole for a speaker. This is a quite serviceable one for 85$.  You will need a 1/4 inch( that is diameter) straight bit and a 3/8 inch quarter round bit.  You can often pick up kits with many bits for $20.  Probably not at Sears.

If you have family in Montreal this place often beats the big stores on price and he also has used tools (they are also a repair shop).  If you look in the "King brico" flyer they have a circ saw with a laser for 55 $ and an extremely powerful plunge router with some accesories for 100$...  King is a decent brand and most, if not all, tools are made in Taiwan at one of a few different manufacturers.

kramertc

« Reply #36 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm »
Hi kramertc.
(I can't guess what kramertc stand for ? ? ? Please share with us how you came up which such an exotic name like that.)

Stands..for Kramer The Cat...my favorite cat.  She's 19 yrs old and still going strong...nothing exotic!

Guy 13

« Reply #37 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:19 am »
Stands..for Kramer The Cat...my favorite cat.  She's 19 yrs old and still going strong...nothing exotic!
Hi kramertc
Any picture to share with us of that four legged fur ball?
Guy 13

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:43 am »
Guy you are totally bananas. I hope it's okay I for me to say that in a fun way.

Guy 13

« Reply #39 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:56 am »
Guy you are totally bananas. I hope it's okay I for me to say that in a fun way.
Hi Clark.
From you Clark, I take that as a compliment !
Thanks.
Guy 13
By the way, here in Vietnam they grow tons of bananas...