New N3 TL Towers

Ron

New N3 TL Towers
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:22 am »
 Attached are some pictures of a pair of N3 TL towers that I am building for a customer in piano black. The pictures are not very good due to the very reflective painted surface of the speakers. Pictures were taken without the bases installed. The commercial paint shop is having to repaint them. These N3 TL  have all the performance upgrade options including platinum bypass caps. I played them this afternoon for the first time and they sound adsolutely wonderful. Very detailed and transparent with excellent imaging and depth. Presently building a pair of N3S in natural cherry to sell. Will be posting pictures of them when they are finished.

Ron

NeilT

Re: New N3 TL Towers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:18 am »
Absolutely beautiful Ron.
Neil

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:33 am »
What he said.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:54 am »
Damn.   :o

Those look terrific.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:42 am »
How do you make them for a paint job like that?  Are all the corners mitered?  Because the edges don't take paint the same and the seams would show  :scratch:...

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm »
 I built the cabinets using simple butt joints. I then used a flush trim bit in my router to make sure all the ends were straight and flush. Then they were sanded smooth. The automotive paint shop that I took it to used a thick primer which was sanded ultra smooth and sprayed with a two part urethane based automotive type paint. It takes the paint several weeks to fully cure to a rock hard durable finish. It looks very nice but unfortunately it is expensive.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:40 pm »
It is almost impossible to get the seams to not trace back threw the paint. Cutting all the outer panels at a 45 degree angle will keep that from happening.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:16 pm »
My seems don't show through...but I widened the joints, filled them with epoxy putty, and then coated the MDF with liquid epoxy. Lot's of sanding. more coating. this effectively turned the surface of the MDF into one substance.

Veneer would probably have been simpler.

Zerogravity

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2010, 07:49 pm »
Just  beautiful, now that you built them, is there much of a difference in comparing to the sealed MTM, which do you prefer?

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:28 pm »
Ron looking good. Very inspirational for us rookies.

Ron

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2010, 10:13 pm »
 The N3 TL tower and the sealed version sound the same except the N3 TL has deeper bass due to its transmission line loading. I like them both very much. With the N3 sealed you definitely need a good subwoofer like the servo sub. With the N3 TL you don't really need one unless you want super low bass. Bass response is clean and fast down to 40 hz.

Ron

wgallupe

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2010, 12:44 am »
Hi Ron,

I have the N3S now and am considering the N3TL. You mentioned that they sound the same (that's good) except that the N3TL goes deeper as expected. What I'd like to know is if the N3TL has a little more impact in the lower mids upper bass. Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on the differences reletive to bass impact and dynamics above 40Hz.

Thanks,
Wayne

Ron

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:30 am »
 Wayne,

The N3S and the N3  use the same identical crossovers and drivers so from 65 hz and up the upper bass and lower mids sound the same. Since the N3 TL takes advantage of the transmission line loading, it has a lot deeper bass and more low bass impact down to 40 hz. Hope this helps to answer your question.