Man, I'm a DUMB MORON for not buying a Roompack earlier!

mcrespo71

Hey, at least I bought it eventually!  8)  I don't want to repeat what others have already said about the roompack, but I'm a pretty happy camper right now.  

Michael

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2004, 10:14 pm »
Hey, comon, don't be so hard on yourself... :wink:

I, too, hemmed and hawed about wether to drop the $$ on the roompack.  Once I did, I was also pissed that I didn't do it sooner, but at least I did it!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:53 am »
Hey Mike, I'm interested in hearing what it did in your room.....care to reply? Thanks !  :)

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2004, 05:10 pm »
Better imaging, slightly tighter bass, cleaner peaks when I turn it up, and more of the acoustic space from the recording comes out now.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2004, 06:07 pm »
Mike,

I haven't heard your system yet, but I have found the Roompack by itself isn't enough.

To really clean up my room, I needed to add room treatments that addressed the bass frequencies.

To do this I added the "MiniTraps" by Realtraps.com.

When you combine these two vendors you really get a HUGE improvment!!

YMMV

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2004, 06:16 pm »
I don't doubt that bass traps, etc. would help more, but I do live in a studio, so I can't really put any more "treatments" in the room.  The 8th nerve stuff works well because I can hang them on the wall, but bass traps would be too big for my room.  

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2004, 06:21 pm »
Mike,

These traps work very well mounted to the wall between the wall and ceiling.  Ths way you aren't taking up floor space.

Here is a picture from my room:

They also work very well mounted in the corners (but it will take up some space this way).

When you come up, you will have a better idea of what I mean.

George

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2004, 09:10 pm »
George,

Very interested in the Real Traps.  I talked to Ethan and have a good idea of where to put them, now, I've got to try and get it past my wife.  Could you elaborate a bit on their effect in addition to the roompack?  I've got 4 corners and 4 seams but fear they don't do enough for the bass.

Brian.

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2004, 09:16 pm »
Wow!  That addresses all my problems with space.  How much do these run, George?  I couldn't find prices on the website.

Michael

sunshinedawg

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:14 pm »
You can make DIY bass traps if you want.  They(realtraps) are made from Owens-corning rigid fiberglass panels (# 703 or #705).  The 705 is more dense.  They come in 2x4 panels, 1" or 2" thick.  They should cost around $15 a panel from a distributor.  I just scored 17 of these panels free from an insulation warehouse in Denver.   The guy said they had been sittin around forever, just take them.  All you have to do is cover them with fabric and frame them if you want.

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:29 pm »
Quote from: sunshinedawg
You can make DIY bass traps if you want.  They(realtraps) are made from Owens-corning rigid fiberglass panels (# 703 or #705).  The 705 is more dense.  They come in 2x4 panels, 1" or 2" thick.  They should cost around $15 a panel from a distributor.  I just scored 17 of these panels free from an insulation warehouse in Denver.   The guy said they had been sittin around forever, just take them.  All you have to do is cover them with fabric and frame them if you want.

This kind of thing available at Home Depot?  Otherwise how do you find a distributor??  Very interesting!  Cheaper too, especially for where I'd be putting them, which wouldn't need to be hung.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:40 pm »
Quote from: byteme
This kind of thing available at Home Depot?  Otherwise how do you find a distributor??  Very interesting!  Cheaper too, especially for where I'd be putting them, which wouldn't need to be hung.

No, you can not find these at home depot.  In general these panels are used in commercial apps and people order them by the train car full.  I think you can call Owens-Corning for local distibutors, but the best way is to look in the yellow pages for insulation dealers. The part # would be like 705-FRK.