Transparent Reference cables for Bryston/Thiel combo

actuary616

My setup is Bryston BCD-1+BP26+7B SST2+Thiel 3.7. I use Cardas cables through the system. They works very well. But I feel Cardas cable maybe a limit factor of this system. They roll off the high frequence. They add some warmth to the sound, and the sound is not very open, transparent, and detailed. I am thinking to upgrade to Transparent Reference SC and ICs (the newest MM2 version). Can you please share your experience about transparent cables with Bryston/Thiel combo? and compare to Cardas cables if possible? Thank you in advance!

I called Thiel this morning. The technician there commented that Wireworld Platinum Eclipse is outstanding with Bryston/Thiel 3.7 combo. They used those cables at recent CES show. They are very satisfied with its performance and will use it in future. I contacted a local dealer. I will try Wireworld Platinum Eclipse speaker cable and ICs very soon. I will report my impression of the cables here.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm by actuary616 »

drummermitchell

Re: Transparent Reference cables for Bryston/Thiel combo
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:51 pm »
I use to use Cardas golden reference cabling throughout,to me they were laid back lazy.
I liked them,but it gets boring after awhile,at least for me anyway.
Then I tried the Bryston cabling,the sound went from a boring party to a evening at Mardi Gras.
Music had way more  liveliness to it,instead of a loose bottomend,we went to punchy.
Haven't tried Transparent cables,i did order the newer Bryston SC's to try  and the price is right.
I use the 26pre,28's,BCD-1 ect and Revel 50a's fo speakers.
If your close to an audio store that sells transparent cables,you should be able to audition them at
                                                          HOME
PS,I use to do that with Shunyata's ect.Take em home

actuary616

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:00 pm »
I use to use Cardas golden reference cabling throughout,to me they were laid back lazy.
I liked them,but it gets boring after awhile,at least for me anyway.
Then I tried the Bryston cabling,the sound went from a boring party to a evening at Mardi Gras.
Music had way more  liveliness to it,instead of a loose bottomend,we went to punchy.
Haven't tried Transparent cables,i did order the newer Bryston SC's to try  and the price is right.
I use the 26pre,28's,BCD-1 ect and Revel 50a's fo speakers.
If your close to an audio store that sells transparent cables,you should be able to audition them at
                                                          HOME
PS,I use to do that with Shunyata's ect.Take em home

Thanking for sharing your experience! It is very helpful!

larevoj

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:38 pm »
I uses Cardas Ref XLR ICs throughout too but too much warmth can be an issue so I stick with the Furutech speaker cables which give a fine balance. My Bryston electronics are BDA-1/BP26/MPS-2/4BSST2 into Dynaudio.

Not sure if folks mix and matches cables here...  :scratch:

werd

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:58 pm »
What are you using for power cables?.

Bryston gear has lots of strident prowess to it. Sometimes if you go for the real transparent cables ( i am not talking brand but quality) it can be a little over the top with Bryston gear. Having warm ic's can easily be off set by just using
a transparent power cable on the bcd. Over even by underpinning the bcd with cones or a platform. The reason why i say this is because it can be a lot cheaper in the end than just going out and refitting all your ic's.

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:11 pm »
Hi Actuary,

How many hours do you have on the 3.7's.  I've read that they can sound less than ideal out of the box and may not open up until you get a few hundred hours on them.  I think our buddy Phil A has a pair and could comment.

I have a pair if 7's squared and a BP26 too and am considering the 3.7's.  I'll PM you as I'm interested in your thoughts.

Bill

actuary616

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:25 pm »
What are you using for power cables?.

Bryston gear has lots of strident prowess to it. Sometimes if you go for the real transparent cables ( i am not talking brand but quality) it can be a little over the top with Bryston gear. Having warm ic's can easily be off set by just using
a transparent power cable on the bcd. Over even by underpinning the bcd with cones or a platform. The reason why i say this is because it can be a lot cheaper in the end than just going out and refitting all your ic's.

I agree with you that Bryston amps are very sensitive to power cords. I am using PS Audio AC-12 on pre amp and power amps. They are very neutral. They work with Bryston amps extremely well. Dollar by dollar, they might be one of the best power cords in the world.

actuary616

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:34 pm »
Hi Actuary,

How many hours do you have on the 3.7's.  I've read that they can sound less than ideal out of the box and may not open up until you get a few hundred hours on them.  I think our buddy Phil A has a pair and could comment.

I have a pair if 7's squared and a BP26 too and am considering the 3.7's.  I'll PM you as I'm interested in your thoughts.

Bill

Hi Bill,

My thiel 3.7 has been completely broken in. BP26/7B SST2 are terrific for Thiel 3.7s. I called a technician at Thiel this morning. Bryston is his personal favorite for 3.7s. They use Bryston to drive 3.7s at 2009 CES. They will use it this year too.

actuary616

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
I called Thiel this morning. The technician there commented that Wireworld Platinum Eclipse is outstanding with Bryston/Thiel 3.7 combo. They used those cables at recent CES show. They are very satisfied with its performance and will use it in future. I contacted a local dealer. I will try Wireworld Platinum Eclipse speaker cable and ICs very soon. I will report my impression of the cables here.

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:50 pm »

I'm using WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 IC's and SC's with great success.  They are 2 steps down from the Platinums which are quite expensive.  My speakers are 20 year old Infinity 9 Kappas and the highs can be just wide open and breathtaking on the better recordings.

Just as a caution, the Eclipse 6 series SC's are flat, 1.75" wide, stiff and difficult in tight spaces.

robb

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:13 am »
Hi

I have the Bryston 4bsst2 paired with Thiel 2.4 speakers.  I have tried Transparent Reference, Ultra, and Super. They all sounded great especially the Reference in the mids and upper frequencies. Can be a great choice.

However, currently I have settled in with Nordost line.  Much more realistic in the mids and upper frequencies, and low end is tighter and more controlled.  I would audition the Red Dawn and the Heimdall.

Rob

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:58 pm »
I use Belden speaker cable. 10 gauge. It sounds great! Interconnects are from FM Acoustics. They're not cheap nowadays, but they were in reach 18 years ago when I got them.