Old CD Player vs New Cheap DVD Player for 2 Channel Audio.

Irwin

Hi,I recently placed an ad looking for a cheap CD Player,to use as a source for a Cmoy headphone amp.
I have been using an 8 or 9 year old DVD Player with decent results.All I can find in my price range ($ 100)
are 15-25 year old units,which with my luck,will probably either sound like crap or die shortly.Am I better off buying an new DVD Player ($40-75),getting a warranty,and hopefully better audio quality ?

Ericus Rex

Re: Old CD Player vs New Cheap DVD Player for 2 Channel Audio.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:34 pm »
Probably better off buying newer.  DAC quality has improved tremendously in the past few years and a new $50 DVD player could very likely sound much better than most 10-15 year old CD players regardless of original price.

If your DVD player has digital outs you could get a Beresford DAC and have excellent sound quality for a couple hundred.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:37 pm »
Plus, no 10-15 year old transport assembly is still made.  No parts when you need them and we all know that lasers don't last forever.   :o

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:31 pm »
I own origina, first ever Sony DVD player and it still works :wink:

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:46 pm »
You can get a Sony CDP-CE375 changer for about $110-120 shipped. I think these work a bit better for playing CDs than a DVD player, and it's really nice to be able to play several discs without having to get up.

A CD player is arguably better than a CD or DVD player and external DAC combo, and this one has a modern chipset and transport.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2010, 09:31 pm »
I have a 5 year old Sony CD/DVD player, wasn't the cheapest in the lineup, prolly spent around $200 for it. I tried it as a CD player, and all I can say is I wanted to go running out of the room screaming the first time I heard it. My 1991 vintage Sony CDP-C77ES makes the new Sony combo player sound like a fisher price radio. For that matter any of my 3 Kyocera's from 1986-1987 sound better than the newer Sony. Even my old JVC XL-M505 from 1991 sounds way better than the newer Sony.

I don't get it when I hear people trash older players vs. newer combo players. There is not a single system in my house that this is true for.  :scratch:

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2010, 09:56 pm »
I would try and pick up a used oppo on ebay.

acresm22

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm »
There's always the Sony PS1 option...the much touted SCHP-1001 with the RCA outs. Although some sellers still try for big bucks on these units, they seem to show up fairly often on ebay for under $50.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm »
I own origina, first ever Sony DVD player and it still works :wink:

There are exceptions, of course.  Would you buy another tomorrow if yours dies today?    :wink:

The Oppo is a perfect case in point regarding the advancement of digital.  Would a DCS Elgar from 15 years ago outperform it?  Having owned an Oppo, I'd say "doubt it".  And it's 1/20th the price.  People still produce crap.  But good cheap players are out there.

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:22 am »
There are exceptions, of course.  Would you buy another tomorrow if yours dies today?    :wink:

Of cause not. Those were made in Japan and build to make the statement.
Back then it cost $999. But my point was that it is still kicking strong after 14 years and hundreds if not thousands of DVDs and CDs. It has been spinning CDs in my basement workshop for the last 6-7 years now, so memory of its performance as a standalone CD player or transport in reference system is a bit blurry. The only reason to pick those up would be its dual laser pick up (if it's owner watch mostly movies, the cd dedicated laser should be in good shape) and very good transport.
But no, I wouldn't recommend getting relic such as DVP S7000. (risky)

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:52 am »
I doubt it but if you'll come across Music Hall CD25 in your budget, grab one. :thumb:

Blooze

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:57 am »
I've got two old CDP's from the 1980's (Realistic and Pioneer) that both have had thousands of CD's ran thru them without a hitch.  My three year old NAD C521Bee CDP lasted all of a little over a year and wouldn't play a CDR to save it's life, unlike both of the old units.  Replacement parts cost as much as the unit did, so I'm not sure replacement parts are necessarily a reason to buy a new one, unless it's a more expensive unit.

I 2nd the used oppo.  I've heard several and they sound quite nice for the money.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:08 am »
Probably better off buying newer.  DAC quality has improved tremendously in the past few years and a new $50 DVD player could very likely sound much better than most 10-15 year old CD players regardless of original price.

If your DVD player has digital outs you could get a Beresford DAC and have excellent sound quality for a couple hundred.

Per this thread the Beresford and MCM are essentially the same and the MCM is under $120 - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85610.0

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:26 am »
Of cause not. Those were made in Japan and build to make the statement.
Back then it cost $999. But my point was that it is still kicking strong after 14 years and hundreds if not thousands of DVDs and CDs. It has been spinning CDs in my basement workshop for the last 6-7 years now, so memory of its performance as a standalone CD player or transport in reference system is a bit blurry. The only reason to pick those up would be its dual laser pick up (if it's owner watch mostly movies, the cd dedicated laser should be in good shape) and very good transport.
But no, I wouldn't recommend getting relic such as DVP S7000. (risky)

I picked up a Sony DVP-s7700 this spring for 75.00 including shipping and use it to listen to music by my computer
They have dual lasers

soundbitten1

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:41 am »
I've got two old CDP's from the 1980's (Realistic and Pioneer).

My first cd player was a 1986 Realistic. The one I had was a real ear bleeder.

Blooze

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:47 am »

The one I have actually sounds better than the NAD did through the NAD Bee amp I bought with the CDP.   I was surprised.

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:05 am »

Reminds me of my first...an ADC? same year too 1986.  :oops:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm »
Per this thread the Beresford and MCM are essentially the same and the MCM is under $120 - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85610.0

I spoke with a Beresford dealer about this and he said the two are made at the same factory but the Beresford uses higher grade parts.  Don't know if it's true or not.  An interesting test would be to A/B the two.

soundbitten1

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
I picked up a couple of SuperPro 707 dacs (without the usb) when they were around $80 and they improved the sound of my Arcam & Sony changers quite a bit. They didn't help poor sounding cheap dvd players (JVC & Toshiba) however.