« on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm »

Mariusz

Re: Opinions Needed on Two Amps
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm »
Nakamichi looks interesting  :wink:

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm »
Also check our McCormack DNA-0.5 on  Agon.
A bit more but great price and easy sale if not your cup of tea. Very nice amp. Would NOT even think about it if I was on the market for inexpensive powerful Solid State amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:01 am »
Also check our McCormack DNA-0.5 on  Agon.
A bit more but great price and easy sale if not your cup of tea. Very nice amp. Would NOT even think about it if I was on the market for inexpensive powerful Solid State amp.

YES!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:06 am »
I'm partial to Parasound...

MLS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:20 am »
I had a Nak CA-5 Pre for a wile and it was a really nice and well built piece.  Partial to Nak.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
I also had a Nak CA5 preamp and concur the build quality was superb, especially when you consider when it was built. As to these two amps, my problem with the Nak is its age. could be 20 years old.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:05 am »
How old is the McCormack amp?

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:27 am »
How old is the McCormack amp?
You will need to contact the seller (I don't know the guy but he has great transaction count)
From history - it came after DNA 1.0 ..... I would say .... mid 90's.  :scratch:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:31 am »
I have a friend also named Bill who replaced a NAD amp with a McCormack DNA-0.5
and was very very happy with his choice...........Bill

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:44 am »
I sure would  like the McCormack DNA-0.5, but even though the price difference is small, I can better afford the Parasound. But I will search my sock drawer.

Does anyone know this model of Parasound amp? Do they make high quality gear?

Mariusz

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:51 am »
I sure would  like the McCormack DNA-0.5, but even though the price difference is small, I can better afford the Parasound. But I will search my sock drawer.

Does anyone know this model of Parasound amp? Do they make high quality gear?

I heard their Halo series and it is the only one I would consider.

Other then that,.... from what I see out there.....well, Pass Labs Aleph Os Stereo power amp looks mighty tasty - it is 40wpc channel but that is in CLASS A!!!!
Also, Jungson JA-99c CLASS A amp that is listed very cheap...... but I do not have a clue what it sounds like :scratch: It looks well build and all. But Nelson Pass would be my 1st choice. If you look for the warmer (tuby) sound, that is the one to get. Since it runs in class A, it will probably run a bit hot (normal for class A). Consider a well ventilated place for tube or class A solid state amps.

:thumb:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:45 pm »
Oh well. Back to my old Adcom and coontinuing to save up for a new amp.

Thanks all.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:57 pm »
Not a bad idea.

You might as well save a little more and buy something that smokes the Adcom.  That model Parasound would probably be a baby step.  The Nak is probably quite good but I can understand concerns about parts and reliability.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:17 pm »
Then again, I could request an early Christmas present. The McCormack seems like the last amp I would ever need.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:22 pm »
I vote for the Halo.

I always like Parasound; and, Halo is no exception.

I have the smaller Halo stereo pre-amp & smaller Halo amp; as well as, use a Z-Phono.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2010, 01:42 pm »
Would the Parasound Halo A 23 be a good alternative?:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23

My Silverline Minuet speakers are between 85 and 88 db efficient. How does this affect my choice? Would this Parasound and the McCormack work well in my system?

Then there's the Cambridge Audio 740A integrated.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2010, 03:17 pm »
The Halo series is excellent all around.  The A23 has plenty of wattage for your speakers.  If you do a lot of really loud listening you should think hard if considering an amp under 100 watts (SS - tubes would be a different story altogether).

"...the last amp I would ever need."  We've all said that a dozen times before!     :lol:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2010, 03:41 pm »
I know it's not one from your list, but keep your eye open for one of these.  8)

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/mitsubishi/amplifiers/da-a10dc/PRD_115971_1583crx.aspx

The DA-A10DC will drive just about any speaker you can throw at it. I have run mine, along with it's 150wpc big brother the DA-A15DC, with 2 pairs of Mitsubishi monitors that are nominally rated at 6 ohms. While it's not recommended, it drives them effortlessly and never breaks a sweat.