trouble with mac mini

timind

• permanent vacation
trouble with mac mini
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:19 am »
Sitting here ripping cds to itunes via a new mac mini with external HD. The problem I am having is that on occasion, 1 out of 5, a cd won't start importing automatically. It acts as though there is no cd inserted. IOnce I eject the cd and reinsert it it starts the process. If I did not have the Apple keyboard with the eject button I don't think there would be anyway to get the cd out as itunes doesn't seem to know it's there.
Is this somewhat normal? Or should I take the mini back for check up/exchange?
t

writeface

Re: trouble with mac mini
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 04:26 am »
I had this problem many times. It is widely reported in
Apple support forums, too.

wgscott

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:08 am »
I have this problem too.  A workaround is to use Disk Utility to mount the CD.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:03 am »
I also have the problem.

And sometimes while ripping, after I've ripped several CDs in a row, the drive makes a lot of noise. Anyone have this problem?

jdbrian

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:14 pm »
Hi

I do not have the automatic import set on mine so what happens is that occasionally a CD will not show up as being in the drive and will not eject. I keep the disk utility in the Dock and use it to eject the disk. It always works the next time. I can sometimes go for 30 CD's between problems. I am hoping that they will fix this bug at some point. I sometimes get noise from the drive but not consistently. One thing I find strange is that some disks rip much faster than others. I recently bought a 4 disc box set and 2 disks ripped fast and the other 2 took about twice the time.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm »
I have the same problem.  My Apple store must not of heard of it b/c I brought the Mini back after i got it and they replaced the drive.  After it happened again I started looking and saw that it was a common issue.  The good news is that I was able to upload ~1200 cd's on the first drive before getting the new one.   :)

I do have to shutdown the computer to eject the cd sometimes. 

rfluongo

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:31 am »
Wow. Same thing is happening to me using an 8 year old Plextor external drive and I assumed the drive was going bad. I turn the Plextor off and on and it rips just fine. I also have the variable rip speed but assumed it had something to do with error correction or perceived disc quality. Maybe I shouldn't give iTunes so much credit.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:23 pm »
Just the other day I turned on the mac mini and found an update waiting. After installing the update the cd import function has been perfect. It also seems to import faster, more than twice as fast (estimate).
I got up early this morning and began importing. Man this is one tedious task.

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm »
Man this is one tedious task.

It sure is, which is why it's key to have a good backup plan in place.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
I have yet to buy the back-up hard drive. I hope to have all the cds loaded by next weekend then I'll get the back-up.
I see a lot of people load all of their music. I will probably load a little more than half as I have cds that never get played.