VR 33's Volume

BigSwede

Re: VR 33's Volume
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:55 pm »
Hey BigSwede, go for the VR35s or don't go at all  :thumb: :lol:
heh, yeah...well I did just refi the house, got a little cash out but it really should go to home improvement. :wink:

Actually I may wait and see what the VR-22 is all about before I make any move. As I said, I'm pretty happy with the VR-2s anyway, so not much urgency here.

BigSwede

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:58 pm »
Back to the OPs situation, I'm kind of surprised (maybe skeptical is a better word) the 4 jrs can't rock out enough for him, I've never heard them but my 2s are certainly capable of some decent sound pressure when called upon...as my neighbors can attest.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:05 am »
I recently posted here about a visit to my buddys house to hear his VR4 jr mk2s and yes, they rock.

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:32 am »
As I said, I'm pretty happy with the VR-2s anyway, so not much urgency here.

With a few tweaks to the VR-2's you won't believe what they are capable of. The cabinet bracing and resonance control retrofit I did to my VR-2's takes them to the next level. Add a pair of EVS Ground Enhancers (review forthcoming) and the VR-33's pale in comparison*, I know because I heard the 33's at last year's RMAF.

Are you in Minnesota? That is where most of Tucson's snowbirds come from. Drop me a line if you ever fly by.

Wayne

* A little artistic hyperbole, the VR-33's may be a little large for my room, both physically and bass wise. Synergy is not only with electronics but a speakers interaction with the room.

mdconnelly

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:51 am »
OK, I'm going out on a limb here... I've been an Aerial 10T owner for many years but have decided it's time to see what's new in the wonderful world of speakers.

The VR-33/VR-35 speakers seem like they would be a perfect fit for my ears and room.  I've got a 12' x 24' room and have found the 10Ts to work best on the long wall with near-field listening in a equilateral 10' triangle.  Given that the VR-33/35s can be placed close to the front wall seems well suited to my room.   

I heard the VR-4SR speakers awhile back and thought they were pretty damn good.  Is there anyone out there that has heard the VR-33/35 speakers as well as the Aerial 10Ts?  Inquiring minds want to know.   

Bottom line, I think that if I order the VR-33s and like them, I'll want the VR-35s.  I do have a local VS dealer that can order the VR-35s for me but doesn't have them at present.  Any insights are greatly appreciated.  A link to my system is to the left...

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:03 am »
VSA still has the 90 return policy.  Your speakers have were always highly rated so a side by side might be the smart way to go.  I'm with you re: the 35s.  You get the 33s and those 35s will haunt you  :duh:

mdconnelly

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:30 am »
Is the 90 days just on the VR-33s or does it apply to any VS speakers?  For some reason, I was thinking it only applied to the VR-33s that don't go thru a dealer.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:08 pm »
All VSA speakers as I understand it..

pardales

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:27 pm »
VSA still has the 90 return policy.  Your speakers have were always highly rated so a side by side might be the smart way to go.  I'm with you re: the 35s.  You get the 33s and those 35s will haunt you  :duh:

I did not see any info about the 35's at the VSA website. Where are those talked about?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:46 pm »
You should call VSA for information.  Their website is a bit out of date.

BigSwede

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:04 pm »
With a few tweaks to the VR-2's you won't believe what they are capable of. The cabinet bracing and resonance control retrofit I did to my VR-2's takes them to the next level. Add a pair of EVS Ground Enhancers (review forthcoming) and the VR-33's pale in comparison*, I know because I heard the 33's at last year's RMAF.
Interesting. Someday I hope to compare in my room...someday.

Are you in Minnesota? That is where most of Tucson's snowbirds come from. Drop me a line if you ever fly by.
Yep, Minnesnowta. Currently 8F degrees. :)  But my parents go to Florida, I'm heading down in March to visit them and go to some Twins spring training games.

* A little artistic hyperbole, the VR-33's may be a little large for my room, both physically and bass wise. Synergy is not only with electronics but a speakers interaction with the room.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. My room is a modest rambler living room 20'x12', with the system on the long wall. The walls and ceiling are plaster which I suspect is pretty reflective, but I do have a fair amount of absorption with carpet and a sectional sofa. But it's not a large room by any stretch.

pardales

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:54 pm »
You should call VSA for information.  Their website is a bit out of date.

Will do, thanks. Still like to hear from some more 33 owners about their experience of these speakers during low(er) volume listening.

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:38 am »
But my parents go to Florida, I'm heading down in March to visit them and go to some Twins spring training games.

...My room is a modest rambler living room 20'x12', with the system on the long wall.

Perhaps there is a pair of 33's in Florida you could listen to, they are such a great sounding speaker at a fantastic price VSA must be selling boat loads of them.

My room is just 11.5' x 15' so the VR-33's would dominate the space, your room appears to be the perfect size. I think you'll love them.

Wayne

maxdog

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:53 am »
I find most of the time they are fine, but when pushed really hard they tend to get a bit hard sounding, as do most speakers I've heard. Just wondering if the  drivers/larger woofers will let me play louder than the JR's.
I have a Gamut D200 amp, and it might be the problem, running out of steam at these levels.Very sweet at normal volumes, but I may be asking it to do more than it is able to.
Thanks for the input...much appreciated, guys...