• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #842 on: 2 Jun 2011, 01:36 pm »
Sent: June-01-11 7:55 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: PDF of the Stereophile review on the BDP-1

Dear Mr Tanner

Bryston power amplifiers worked reliably when I encountered them in the nineteen seventies, and several of them are still in service; I have been able to convince some of my friends to buy 8B-SSTs and they are all pleased with the sound.

I work in two different towns; hence, there is a Stockholm apartment and a villa in a smaller town (and a summer cottage on a remote island). A given CD is rarely where I need it when I want.

Am prepared to rip my largish CD collection to ensure access in these three homes. Have used dbpoweramp and a high-quality external drive for the purpose with good results.

My professional sound recordist friends use FireWire A/D and DACs (Metric Halo, Weiss, Orpheus, Lynx) which can do a remarkable job once handshaking and clocking issues have been reliably addressed; I have found hi-rez files can sound fantastic, via modified computers and optimized installs of Linux, OS X or even Windows XP w/ Service Pack 3.

But to my ears, consumer-grade computer or music server solutions, so far have not outclassed my top-class disc player or reached the SQ of the best pro-level systems.

Sooloos set-ups owned by acquaintances failed to impress me as regards sound quality. Some but not all Mac-based systems have fared better, provided that installation is optimized and the computer is exclusively used for audio file storage and delivery, by FireWire or dedicated hard-wired local network.

A specialized digital computer with special attention to low jitter as well as minimizing noise and interference makes sense to me. Power supply quality, grounding, electrical shielding etc is very important for digital devices. I am no computer phobe, having used Unix-based computers in my research programs for many years, but my wife absolutely hates Windows and PCs.

This was a long-winded way (sorry) to defend my interest in the BDP-1.

Could you please send me the Stereophile review?

Kind regards

Lars B. Backlund, PhD
Sweden

James

Thank you for forwarding the Sterephile and Inner Ear pdf files. Interesting reading.

Reviews and user experiences are important for music lovers in my situation. Bryston components are, as far as I know, not being actively marketed in Sweden (Norway is not in the European union, but Sweden is). I have had no opportunity to listen to the BDP-1, so listening comments from others are of interest to me.

Mr Atkinson's measurement results look impressive. Nice eye pattern; narrow spike… looks good.

Thirty years as an Ethernet end user have shown me some of the complexities of large and small LANs. My computer experiences started out with trying to write FORTRAN code for an IBM System 360 with 16 KB primary memory (ugh) and using PDP-8 minicomputers in measurement systems. Ethernet and other packet-based standards are hardly ideal for streaming music and video. But in the BDP-1 you already have a data buffer that seems to work well.

Apparently, Linn, Naim and PS Audio designers and consultants have had lots of trouble, to say nothing of the situation for end users grappling with UPnP, server programs, file systems, switches and so on - do you think there is a market for a BDP-1-friendly fanless NAS with server-grade SSDs?

Kind regards
Lars

skunark

« Reply #843 on: 2 Jun 2011, 05:53 pm »
Hi skunark

Give Mike Pickett an email on that one.

James

James I've sent two emails and no response with the IR Codes.   It's been rather annoying when I turn on the BDA the BDP turns off :) ...  Do they really have the same on/off IR Code?  If so how do you recommend setting up the BDP/BDA such that the BDP is on all the time?

Jim

« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2011, 02:58 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #844 on: 2 Jun 2011, 08:00 pm »
James I've sent two emails and no response with the IR Codes.   It's been rather annoying when I turn on the BDA the BDP turns off :) ...  Do they really have the same on/off IR Code?  If so how do you recommend setting up the BDP/BDA such that the BDP is on all the time?

Jim

Hi Jim

I will discuss with Mike tomorrow.

James

werd

« Reply #845 on: 2 Jun 2011, 09:13 pm »

Jim

Just leave them both on all the time, why are you turning them off? Just turn em on and forget that they are not off.

skunark

« Reply #846 on: 2 Jun 2011, 09:37 pm »
Just leave them both on all the time, why are you turning them off? Just turn em on and forget that they are not off.
Just doing my part in conserving energy.    I would prefer to keep both off while not in use, but the BDP boot times and the fact that I rsync files to the player makes it easier to leave on and I can script my computer to auto-sync after I rip a CD or download hi-rez files.     

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #847 on: 3 Jun 2011, 10:02 am »
Sent: June-02-11 10:53 PM
Subject: BDP-1

Hello James,

I am pleased to just recently discover the BDP-1 it is just the type of device I'm looking for. I've tried wireless streaming, but the quality, even with high res files via Logitech Transporter into a good DAC is just not as good as my CD source.

Perhaps next CES we can meet and have a chat about this new addition.  But I need one now.

Thank you for considering this request.

Best regards,

Neil
North American Sales Manager
Listen, Inc.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #848 on: 3 Jun 2011, 02:59 pm »

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes the codes are the same - engineering tells me we could modify the BDP-1 receiver to ignore the power code but that would take some rewriting of the software.

james

skunark

« Reply #849 on: 3 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »
Hi Jim,

Yes the codes are the same - engineering tells me we could modify the BDP-1 receiver to ignore the power code but that would take some rewriting of the software.

james

Thanks for the response James.   Any reason why that was done?  Seems rather odd and inconvenient solution for folks that use a cabinet.  Has the RS-232 codes been published?

Would it be possible to add an additional (but different) power IR codes for both the BDA and BDP?  Perhaps a power-on and power-off IR codes.

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #850 on: 3 Jun 2011, 05:42 pm »
Thanks for the response James.   Any reason why that was done?  Seems rather odd and inconvenient solution for folks that use a cabinet.  Has the RS-232 codes been published?

Would it be possible to add an additional (but different) power IR codes for both the BDA and BDP?  Perhaps a power-on and power-off IR codes.

Jim

I will ask Mike but I do not think so.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #851 on: 5 Jun 2011, 04:41 pm »
Sent: June-05-11 11:51 AM

James, I had the firmware update through my dealer Whitby Audio. Everything seems to work well. Is there any functionality missing by not going through Bryston?

Thanx.

Tom
bowmanville, ON

p.s. I am not very computer literate and love the BDP-1 player! Tried rolling my own server a while back with mixed results and love this solution. Know anybody that wants a Lynx AES16 card?
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2011, 05:52 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #852 on: 5 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
Sent: June-05-11 1:02 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: all hail BDP-1

James,

Number 000397 of the BDP-1 digital player arrived in good order on Saturday - my A/D/S L1290's never had it so good ! Starting with tubes in the fifties, I realized last evening that the BDP-1 was my most significant audio advance by far.

Thank you, Randy B.

PS - Should you ever find yourself in Palm Springs, do stop in Always cold beer, cool jazz, and plenty of hot topics

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #853 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:28 am »
Sent: June-08-11 12:02 AM
Subject: RE:

Hey James the player is still impressing the hell out of me. Every time I put a drive in that I have heard a 1000 times I am picking out things that I have never heard or couldn't make out. Thanks again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #854 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:49 pm »
From our Danish Distributor:

Sent: June-17-11 3:24 PM

Gentlemen,

Wow – we love the BDP-1, it is fantastic.

We are working on a Danish review on the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo – will keep you posted.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Claus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #855 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm »
Sent: June-18-11 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Motivation and Choices for Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player

Greetings James, Kevin @ FSOM here... long time.

Kudos to you and Bryston.... I have been so cheesed about the lack of hi res disc support that I will talk to anyone who will listen about this subject.
I want this to success in the worst way possible, and please.... dont ever use HDMI...

Mr. White says its ok to send this note you wrote to customers.. correct?

My hat is off to Bryston... again!

Kevin Ayotte.

Marius

« Reply #856 on: 21 Jun 2011, 09:15 pm »
HI,

overhere the bdp/bda turn on and/or off simultaneously. Ofcourse you have to put them in the same state on/off manually if necessary...rather handy, no?

Marius

Marius

« Reply #857 on: 21 Jun 2011, 09:18 pm »
in fact I would love to have the BCD1 have the same on/off code, and not have to select them individually on the BR2. Would that be possible?

HI,

overhere the bdp/bda turn on and/or off simultaneously. Ofcourse you have to put them in the same state on/off manually if necessary...rather handy, no?

Marius

terrycym

« Reply #858 on: 22 Jun 2011, 08:31 am »
in fact I would love to have the BCD1 have the same on/off code, and not have to select them individually on the BR2. Would that be possible?
You can already do this mate without any extra changes.
Use the sync connectors.
Is this correct James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #859 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:42 am »
You can already do this mate without any extra changes.
Use the sync connectors.
Is this correct James?

Not sure on that one Terry - Mike Pickett question. 

James