BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

ricko01

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #360 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm »

Hi Al,
I checked this... with rather surprising results.

A passive hub (port extender) connected to one of the rear USB ports with more than one drive (stick or HDD) causes a worrying beep, beep. beep to be emitted while initialising… so I quickly powered off as I did not want to risk kyboshing my BDP-1. I guess this requires more current than the port can provide and results in an error signal.

Connecting a powered USB 2.0 hub to any of the ports initially seems to function in that all connected devices can be seen by the BDP-1, the folders can be accessed and the contents displayed (i.e. FLAC files can be seen)… but… nothing plays. Even the Bryston USB stick directly inserted to a port cannot play any of the included files.

Conclusion: No, neither port extenders nor powered USB hubs seem to work and actually prevent any other directly connected USB devices from working as well.

This cannot be considered a definitive test as I only have one powered hub and one passive port extender, but the indication is that they are not supported… I did not expect this result so I tested the hubs on a PC, and both work fine and connected devices all function fine.
Regards
Russell

I have wired ethernet into my room so I will be using one of these so I can have my drive in another room. If you dont have ethernet wired.... you can still have the drive in another room with an exposed run of ethernet...

http://www.rose.com/htm/crystallinkusb20cat5.htm

Now I am getting the small unit (CLK-1U2TP-100M).... cause its $450... and it needs to be cause extending hard drive signals needs to be done with precision.

And as you can see it will work with extenders

Peter

pimandro

« Reply #361 on: 9 Jan 2011, 11:09 am »
I use the IPAD with mpod, I can not show him the cover, I set the ip address but nothing, anyone can 'help me?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #362 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:55 pm »
Memo: Bryston Customer Feedback
Subject: New BDP-1 Digital Player

BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK

James,

Additional impressions on sound (using BDP-1/ BDA-1 DAC combination):

Hi-Rez files -  very impressed with the sound on Hi-Rez recordings that I have downloaded from HD-Tracks and Lynn Records as played using the BDP-1.  Unit works flawlessly and appears to be extracting maximum content form FLAC files.  Have a complete set of Mahler recordings (various orchestras) and the soundstage and ability to recognize individual instruments is outstanding.  My speakers have more bass than I had given them credit for and the articulation and "slam" is very clear.  Female vocals are beautiful as in the Hi-Rez Anna Netrebko Opera arias. 

Standard CDs -  I have converted about 500 CDs into FLAC file format.  As a general rule I believe the sound to be equivalent to what I hear played through my high end Meridian CD player.  I really love the convenience of having large portions of my collection available on individual thumb drives.  I have made individual collections on 8GB thumb drives (i.e. Tone Poems, Solo Piano, Reference Recordings, etc.) and I find that I can fit about 25 one hour plus CDs on one drive.  I also have archived all of my symphonic collections on a 32GB drive.  I have not yet set up a network way of accessing the drives because I have been generally pleased with just using the menu structure on the BDP-1 LCD screen along with a printed page listing of the contents of each drive.

Piano is a difficult challenge for recording and playback.  As an example I was extremely impressed with the Bryston combo playing Werner Haas recordings of the Debussy Complete Piano Music with an exceptionally realistic piano sound especially in the lower registers.  Having attended a live concert the evening before featuring classical piano music I was pleased with how close the sound was to the live performance.

Another CD that I thought sounded exceptionally fine through the Bryston combo was Elina Garanca's new recording "Habanera."  Both voice and accompanying instruments were so enthralling that I have never enjoyed a recorded experience more.

The BDP-1 has added a new dimension to my enjoyment of music - both because of the quality of sound and the convenience of access to a large CD collection without having to locate and load individual CDs.

Regards,
Larry   

drummermitchell

« Reply #363 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:21 pm »
James,I :no_see:, :no_hear:, :lol:,these feedback power of suggestions are slowly working on my
                                               SUBCONSCIOUS :o, :thumb:.

budt

« Reply #364 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:59 pm »
   I am strongly considering the bryston combo but there are a lot of choices out there.

vengky

« Reply #365 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:17 pm »
I can see and access the usb thumb drives on my network from the desktop. I notice that after adding new files onto the usb thumb drives while connected to the BDP I am unable to see the new files from the bryston browser unless I pull out and plug in the usb thumb drive.

Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to work.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #366 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:25 pm »
I can see and access the usb thumb drives on my network from the desktop. I notice that after adding new files onto the usb thumb drives while connected to the BDP I am unable to see the new files from the bryston browser unless I pull out and plug in the usb thumb drive.

Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to work.

After you add the files go to the home page (bryston-bdp-1.local) hit 'Settings' then 'Driver Info/Sharing/Password' and hit 'Update'

james

vengky

« Reply #367 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:52 am »
Thanks will try when I get back home.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #368 on: 13 Jan 2011, 07:36 pm »
Hi Folks,

Have new liteature for the BDP-1.  If anyone wants a copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com.  It is 8 pages and 4MG.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #369 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:33 pm »
James,

was the BDP-1 developed together with the Auraliti team?
if yes, what was their input?

al.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm by alexone »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #370 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:13 pm »
James,

was the BDP-1 developed toghether with the Auraliti team?
if yes, what was their input?

al.

I discussed the concept with them initially as they were using USB drives on their product. They were extremely helpful in educating me about the components available to do the job properly with audio performance being the number one priority. I have given them credit on our literature and also paid an engineering fee.

We took the idea a lot further though with the front panel display, power supply design and modified digital output stage.

They are very talented knowledgeable guys.. :thumb:

klao

« Reply #371 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm »
Got the literature, James.  Many thanks.
Looks like the BDA-1 in the picture has got the new style of buttons that match BDP-1?

Hi Folks,

Have new liteature for the BDP-1.  If anyone wants a copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com.  It is 8 pages and 4MG.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #372 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:41 pm »
Got the literature, James.  Many thanks.
Looks like the BDA-1 in the picture has got the new style of buttons that match BDP-1?

Yes - thinking ahead. :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #373 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:32 pm »
HOT PRODUCT:

Hi James,

I'm writing to let you know that we covered the BDP-1 as part of our CES report. Here is the link to the page.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2011/ces2011_hp_bryston.htm

Marc

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #374 on: 15 Jan 2011, 10:19 am »
a question for all BDP-1 owners and James of course:

- does the BDP supports gapless playback?
- is it possible to 'fast forward' a song?

thanx and forgive me if these questions have been asked before... :oops:

al.

pimandro

« Reply #375 on: 15 Jan 2011, 11:54 am »
Yes,with mpod

vengky

« Reply #376 on: 15 Jan 2011, 12:18 pm »
James
Any idea whether there will be support for Mandarin language for the Bryston MAX. I know MPOD does support it but I kinda like the build in browser.

terrycym

« Reply #377 on: 15 Jan 2011, 12:20 pm »
Has anybody managed to buy one in the UK and if so from which dealer?

Thanks,
Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #378 on: 15 Jan 2011, 01:05 pm »
James
Any idea whether there will be support for Mandarin language for the Bryston MAX. I know MPOD does support it but I kinda like the build in browser.

Hi,

No sorry there are no plans at this point.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #379 on: 15 Jan 2011, 01:07 pm »
Has anybody managed to buy one in the UK and if so from which dealer?

Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes we have already shipped 10 or so units to the UK.  I sent you an email. :)

james