BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Vipers

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #340 on: 6 Jan 2011, 08:19 pm »
I've tried a couple of thumb drives, a regular hard drive, and a solid state drive. I can't say that I noticed a difference in audio quality between them with the BDP-1. I haven't A/B tested the drives to find out.
Did you find that the Solid State Drive loaded signifacantly faster than the regular hard drive? What SSD do you use?
Thanks,

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #341 on: 6 Jan 2011, 08:27 pm »
Vipers,

as you are one of the happy BDP-1 owners...do you have an usb hub at home? if yes, would you mind to try to connect it to the BDP-1 and hook up a minimum of 2 external hdd to the hub?!?

i really would like to know if this configuration works... :wink:

al.

btw: of course anyone else is asked to try this at home, please!!!

pimandro

« Reply #342 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:08 pm »
Hello James, I am a happy owner of bdp1, congratulations for this item.
Only 2 things you should resolve,
1 - I can not wait 10 minutes every time I turn on the BDP. I am not an expert but there are ways.
2 - interfaces Bryston maxi, mini, and mpod minions are too poor, we would need at least a version of mpod for ipad been working on this?
Sorry for my English.
However, and confirm that 'an excellent product and I'm very satisfied

alexone

« Reply #343 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:32 pm »
Pimandro,

you say that you have to wait EVERY time 10 minutes before the BDP-1 is going to play a song??? are you sure that you did not disconnect the hdd from your BDP and reconnected then the external drive again...this could cause the 10 minute wait?!?

best,

al.

pimandro

« Reply #344 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:46 pm »
It takes 10 minutes to complete updates of the hard disk, if I want to hear something, but it takes 10 minutes for updates every time I turn it on

alexone

« Reply #345 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:57 pm »
hmmm, that's completely different from what i thought i would know about the BDP. once the hdd is hooked up and the content is detected by the BDP any song should be ready to play within a few seconds or so...10 minutes are sure a long,long wait!

maybe James can clarify the situation :scratch:

al.

pimandro

« Reply #346 on: 6 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm »
I try to be more 'clear.
When I turn on bdp it takes 10 minutes for updates.
After a short you start the songs uploaded, but to finish the 'updates every 10 minutes for my 500 gb of songs

ricko01

« Reply #347 on: 7 Jan 2011, 12:12 am »
hmmm, that's completely different from what i thought i would know about the BDP. once the hdd is hooked up and the content is detected by the BDP any song should be ready to play within a few seconds or so...10 minutes are sure a long,long wait!

maybe James can clarify the situation :scratch:

al.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Unless the BDP has some non-volatile RAM (cause it doesnt have a disk drive)  to save the indexing of the songs after an initial hard drive scan.... then yes it must rescan every time you turn it on...and that will take time.

Other optiion is not to turn off the  BDP.

If I was a software architect (maybe I am  :D)... I would write BACK to the hard drive a file that contains the scan index.

Then when you turn it back on.... it can re-read that (taking seconds)... or regenerate it if not found

(note that it does have some non-volatile RAM/ROM cause thats where the OS boots off... but either there isnt enough free to store the scan index... and/or this boot up time wasnt thought out)

OgOgilby

« Reply #348 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:40 am »
Did you find that the Solid State Drive loaded signifacantly faster than the regular hard drive? What SSD do you use?
Thanks,

I tried each drive with about 200GB of FLAC files on them. The solid state drive loads faster, but it still takes a few minutes from powering up the BDP to playing music. To me that isn't a big deal, but if I had a drive with a terabyte of files I would leave the BDP on all of the time. I prefer the SSD drive since it doesn't have any moving parts, and it is dead quiet.

This is the drive I purchased http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/YSSDMP240/

OgOgilby

« Reply #349 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:45 am »

If I was a software architect (maybe I am  :D)... I would write BACK to the hard drive a file that contains the scan index.

Then when you turn it back on.... it can re-read that (taking seconds)... or regenerate it if not found

Great idea!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #350 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:12 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes the BDP-1 would have to reload the files after you turn it off.  Thats's why I keep saying the BDP-1 is a PLAYER not a SERVER.  If you use very large TB hard-drives I would leave the BDP-1 on all the time.

I recommend 500G and less drives on the rear ports - use two smaller drives rather than 1 large drive because the drives can be used while the others are loading if you want to keep turning the unit on and off.

We will certainly look at ways to speed the process up going forward.

james

alexone

« Reply #351 on: 7 Jan 2011, 12:20 pm »
ok, thanx Rick and James.

but if the BDP has to be left ON all the time in order to avoid the time wasting reload...what is going to happen to the display? imagine you're gonna leave it on for let's say a few months or one year or even longer. will it affect the display's lifespan? i'm sure it will.

well, replacing the display after a certain time of use...not a good idea!

to turn off the display or to dimm it would help here i think ?!?!

al.

BrysTony

« Reply #352 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:16 pm »
ok, thanx Rick and James.

but if the BDP has to be left ON all the time in order to avoid the time wasting reload...what is going to happen to the display? imagine you're gonna leave it on for let's say a few months or one year or even longer. will it affect the display's lifespan? i'm sure it will.

well, replacing the display after a certain time of use...not a good idea!

to turn off the display or to dimm it would help here i think ?!?!

al.

If you leave the BDP-1 on but are not using it the display automatically turns off. 
Tony

alexone

« Reply #353 on: 7 Jan 2011, 01:39 pm »
good to know, BrysTony. problem solved!

al.

Vipers

« Reply #354 on: 7 Jan 2011, 06:29 pm »
Vipers,

as you are one of the happy BDP-1 owners...do you have an usb hub at home? if yes, would you mind to try to connect it to the BDP-1 and hook up a minimum of 2 external hdd to the hub?!?

al.

Sorry al, unfortunately I have no hub and only 1 external Drive  :duh: can anyone else test this?

Vipers

« Reply #355 on: 7 Jan 2011, 06:33 pm »
I tried each drive with about 200GB of FLAC files on them. The solid state drive loads faster, but it still takes a few minutes from powering up the BDP to playing music. To me that isn't a big deal, but if I had a drive with a terabyte of files I would leave the BDP on all of the time. I prefer the SSD drive since it doesn't have any moving parts, and it is dead quiet.

This is the drive I purchased http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/YSSDMP240/

Thanks for the info, I was hoping the SSD would be almost instant to load, my normal HDD takes around 4mins to load 140GB, which is no problem atall.

If possible could you put a stop watch on the same files loaded from both the HDD and SSD, sorry to be a pain, but as loading times seem to be of interest at the moment it would be a worthwhile exercise  :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #356 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:01 am »
Thanks for the info, I was hoping the SSD would be almost instant to load, my normal HDD takes around 4mins to load 140GB, which is no problem atall.

If possible could you put a stop watch on the same files loaded from both the HDD and SSD, sorry to be a pain, but as loading times seem to be of interest at the moment it would be a worthwhile exercise  :thumb:

I did use a stopwatch when I was testing the drives. The SSD took about 90 seconds to load 200GB, the HDD took almost twice that. Since the drives contain FLAC files with medium compression, that is a lot of files to load - I believe there are about 550 CD's on the drives.

Hooking up a larger drive and leaving the BDP-1 on wouldn't be a bad thing to do and it shouldn't hurt the display. I have my display set so that it is only on for a few seconds when changing tracks.

Welly123

« Reply #357 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:59 am »
Vipers,

al.

Hi Al,
I checked this... with rather surprising results.

A passive hub (port extender) connected to one of the rear USB ports with more than one drive (stick or HDD) causes a worrying beep, beep. beep to be emitted while initialising… so I quickly powered off as I did not want to risk kyboshing my BDP-1. I guess this requires more current than the port can provide and results in an error signal.

Connecting a powered USB 2.0 hub to any of the ports initially seems to function in that all connected devices can be seen by the BDP-1, the folders can be accessed and the contents displayed (i.e. FLAC files can be seen)… but… nothing plays. Even the Bryston USB stick directly inserted to a port cannot play any of the included files.

Conclusion: No, neither port extenders nor powered USB hubs seem to work and actually prevent any other directly connected USB devices from working as well.

This cannot be considered a definitive test as I only have one powered hub and one passive port extender, but the indication is that they are not supported… I did not expect this result so I tested the hubs on a PC, and both work fine and connected devices all function fine.
Regards
Russell

alexone

« Reply #358 on: 8 Jan 2011, 01:49 pm »
...thanx for tryin', Russel! interesting results.

al.

Vipers

« Reply #359 on: 8 Jan 2011, 03:05 pm »
I did use a stopwatch when I was testing the drives. The SSD took about 90 seconds to load 200GB, the HDD took almost twice that. Since the drives contain FLAC files with medium compression, that is a lot of files to load - I believe there are about 550 CD's on the drives.

Thanks for the info again OgOgilby, I think a 256GB SSD will be my next HiFi purchase  :)