Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #260 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:39 pm »
Please don't be distracted by folk who want bells and whistles

:stupid:

Welly123

Asimov

« Reply #262 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:19 pm »
I have a silly question ... does it play/read Cue sheet ?

werd

« Reply #263 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:21 pm »
Hi James

does the BDP have any pure crystal or is that only in the bda....  :lol:

merry xmas James

werd

Napalm

« Reply #264 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:38 pm »
Werd. Since you mentioned that. James has a stash of promotional Swarowsky USB keys, behave and you may get one:

Order your BDP while they last.

Nap.

klao

« Reply #265 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:58 pm »
Hi James,

Sorry, I meant "might order BDP-1 sooner than I thought", and I indeed did make a deposit to order a unit already.  Are both 17" & 19" faceplates available?  It would be nice to see the pictures of them so I can compare before making the confirmation.  Thanks again.

Merry X'mas to all.  :D

Klao

Thanks for the MSRP, James.  Just got an e-mail from the distributor that my Torus unit will be delivered to me around 23rd Dec.  So I might order the BDA-1 sooner than I thought.   :D

BTW, I saw from the Stereophile's review of the BDA-1 that its "power consumption: 10VA".  That's the same as 10Watts, correct?

How about the power consumption of the BDP-1?  Thank you.

Vipers

« Reply #266 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:52 pm »
It looks like there is a Santa Claus after all  :D  It's been a bit of a wait for it to arrive over here in the UK, so now I'm going to disapear and have a good lengthy listening session  :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #267 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm »
Well I won't get mine till next week at the earliest. :nono:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #268 on: 23 Dec 2010, 08:10 pm »
hey, Vipers...

ENJOY!!!

al.

alinto

« Reply #269 on: 25 Dec 2010, 04:56 am »
I was thinking of tweeking my bdp-1 (serial #000029).  Is it ok the replace the fuses with hifi-tuning fuses without voiding the warranty?

Vipers

« Reply #270 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:31 am »
Hi Guys,

I’ve had a little while to play with the BDP-1 now, much to my wifes annoyance as she wanted to crack out the Christmas CD’s  :roll:

Well, I really didn’t want to get into the whole ‘This is a game changer’ excitement, but this really is going to change how I listen to music, and tbh almost make the BCD-1 reduntant.

I’ve only had a chance at the moment to listen to some Beatles, Bowie, Carpenters and NIN 24bit files so far, but they really do sound amazing, I thought I’d mainly use the BDP to play back ripped to Flac CD’s and not really ever getting into paying for downloadable music, but 24bit files sound so much better than CD I can see myself now purposefully hunting down 24bit downloads to listen too.

I’ve got several of the albums in 24bit and also in 16bit CD form to do a direct comparison and the difference really is night and day, the soundstage is far fuller, the bass punchier and the so much more detail, for me this is where downloading music makes sense rather than the MP3’s on Itunes.

Initial impressions on the BDP-1 are that it’s far heavier than I thought it would be and has the excellent build quality that you’d expect from Bryston. On the negative side it’s a real shame that Bryston can’t still source the same buttons as the BDA-1 and also the green lights on the BDP are a different colour green to the rest of my system, which when you’ve got a 100% Bryston system is a bit of a shame but only a slight annoyance and nothing more.

Controlling it from its front panel buttons is extremely easy but once it’s connected to the network it really comes into its own, controlling through my Iphone and Ipod Touch is extremely easy and very satisfying, I’ve now got a reason to get an Ipad though, as the Bryston Max interface is definitely the one to use as you get all the song bitrate information and for me is the interface I want to use, but is desighned to be used on a bigger screen, I haven’t had time yet to look at the Mpod app or Minion for Firefox.

Tonight I’ve got some friends coming round so I want to compare playing the same files from the Flash drive and on a usb conventional Hard Disk to see if having no moving part of the Flash drive will realy make any difference, I’m hoping not as sticking loads of music on a 500GB disk will definantly make life easier.

As for the overall sound, it’s still got that ‘Bryston’ sound, ie, loads of detail and very revealing, nothing is hidden, but listening to the 24bit files so far, there are no hard edges, none of the Brittleness you sometimes get with CD, it just sounds right, and extremely listenable.

I’m looking forward to ripping some of my favourite cd’s to flac + some problem ones that just didn’t sound good on the BCD to see how they sound.

Here’s some pics of my Finished Bryston Rack  :thumb:

Have a great Christmas all  :D

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #271 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:38 pm »

Looks awesome Vipers  :thumb:

What is your TT? I would be very interested to hear your opinion of how the BDP-1 and TT compare.

Be well...

Alpha10

« Reply #272 on: 25 Dec 2010, 05:54 pm »
Looks awesome Vipers  :thumb:

What is your TT? I would be very interested to hear your opinion of how the BDP-1 and TT compare.

Be well...

The TT is a Michell Orbe with a perspex lid. It is going to be facinating to hear of Viper's comparison between vinyl and the BDP1, it may well push me over the edge on this one....

VOLKS

« Reply #273 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

I’ve had a little while to play with the BDP-1 now, much to my wifes annoyance as she wanted to crack out the Christmas CD’s  :roll:

Well, I really didn’t want to get into the whole ‘This is a game changer’ excitement, but this really is going to change how I listen to music, and tbh almost make the BCD-1 reduntant.

I’ve only had a chance at the moment to listen to some Beatles, Bowie, Carpenters and NIN 24bit files so far, but they really do sound amazing, I thought I’d mainly use the BDP to play back ripped to Flac CD’s and not really ever getting into paying for downloadable music, but 24bit files sound so much better than CD I can see myself now purposefully hunting down 24bit downloads to listen too.

I’ve got several of the albums in 24bit and also in 16bit CD form to do a direct comparison and the difference really is night and day, the soundstage is far fuller, the bass punchier and the so much more detail, for me this is where downloading music makes sense rather than the MP3’s on Itunes.

Initial impressions on the BDP-1 are that it’s far heavier than I thought it would be and has the excellent build quality that you’d expect from Bryston. On the negative side it’s a real shame that Bryston can’t still source the same buttons as the BDA-1 and also the green lights on the BDP are a different colour green to the rest of my system, which when you’ve got a 100% Bryston system is a bit of a shame but only a slight annoyance and nothing more.

Controlling it from its front panel buttons is extremely easy but once it’s connected to the network it really comes into its own, controlling through my Iphone and Ipod Touch is extremely easy and very satisfying, I’ve now got a reason to get an Ipad though, as the Bryston Max interface is definitely the one to use as you get all the song bitrate information and for me is the interface I want to use, but is desighned to be used on a bigger screen, I haven’t had time yet to look at the Mpod app or Minion for Firefox.

Tonight I’ve got some friends coming round so I want to compare playing the same files from the Flash drive and on a usb conventional Hard Disk to see if having no moving part of the Flash drive will realy make any difference, I’m hoping not as sticking loads of music on a 500GB disk will definantly make life easier.

As for the overall sound, it’s still got that ‘Bryston’ sound, ie, loads of detail and very revealing, nothing is hidden, but listening to the 24bit files so far, there are no hard edges, none of the Brittleness you sometimes get with CD, it just sounds right, and extremely listenable.

I’m looking forward to ripping some of my favourite cd’s to flac + some problem ones that just didn’t sound good on the BCD to see how they sound.

Here’s some pics of my Finished Bryston Rack  :thumb:

Have a great Christmas all  :D

Beautiful Setup :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #274 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:56 pm »
Yes - the set-up is beautiful and I'd be quite interest in the feedback/comparison on the BDP-1 too

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #275 on: 26 Dec 2010, 04:36 am »
nice report, Vipers. congrats on your system!

al.

Vipers

« Reply #276 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:40 am »
Thanks everyone  :thumb:

Going to be busy all day today using dbpoweramp to rip alot of my CD collection to flac so I can compare vinyl against cd through the BCD-1 and cd's ripped to flac played through the BDP-1, should be interesting.

I've got a couple of shootouts lined up, one is Hotel California Deluxe edition on 180g vinyl where they went back to the original masters, so I can compare this against cd and ripping to Flac through the BDP, and I was listening to Bruce Springsteen's Magic the other night on 180g vinyl and his voice just sounded amazing, I've seen Bruce many many times and this is what he sounds like, it was so life like and real but sometimes when the music got quite up tempo I found it lacking slightly, a little too laid back and restrained, so I put the cd on and instantly you were hit by how much bigger the soundstage was, it was a much more full on experience, but after a couple of tracks I began to find it all a little harsh and 'digital' sounding, it just wasn't as life like so I went back to the vinyl, so I'm hoping that by ripping the CD to flac and playing it through the BPD it will give me the full soundstage of the cd but round of the edges a little to give it more of the analogue feel that I love of the vinyl.

Vipers

« Reply #277 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:52 am »
A couple of nights ago I had a some friends over who love their HiFi and we did a little test comparing playing certain 24bit files back by setting up a playlist of 2 songs, we did this several times using different songs, one song was on a flash drive and the other on a Seagate 500gb hard disk, using the playlist you could skip between songs instantly to compare if there were any difference, and tbh if there were it was very minimal, a couple of us thought that the flash drive was maybe a little more detailed in its presentation at the top end and the hard disk sounded a little flatter but it was extremely close and on certain occasions I preffered the hard disk as it seemed to smooth out the top end a little.

I was really pleased with these findings though as it now means I can rip all my favourite cd's to a large drive and know that I'm not compromising on audio quality  :thumb:

mystabg

« Reply #278 on: 26 Dec 2010, 04:09 pm »
A couple of nights ago I had a some friends over who love their HiFi and we did a little test comparing playing certain 24bit files back by setting up a playlist of 2 songs, we did this several times using different songs, one song was on a flash drive and the other on a Seagate 500gb hard disk, using the playlist you could skip between songs instantly to compare if there were any difference, and tbh if there were it was very minimal, a couple of us thought that the flash drive was maybe a little more detailed in its presentation at the top end and the hard disk sounded a little flatter but it was extremely close and on certain occasions I preffered the hard disk as it seemed to smooth out the top end a little.

I was really pleased with these findings though as it now means I can rip all my favourite cd's to a large drive and know that I'm not compromising on audio quality  :thumb:

Vipers,Awesome system.Great to learn that either way not much difference between HD or FD.I can see that flash drive could be an easy way to store a playlist and it would boot up faster but at about $40 average for a 32GB drive not very cheap.It would take 15/32GB flash drive to equal a 500GB hard drive correct?Thats about$600 vs a lot less for an external HD.I only point this out because I'am lusting after to combo and was trying to figure out how to keep the cost down.Is your 500 GB HD full? If so I would like to know how long it takes for the player to read after turn on.This boot up time is the only fly in the ointment as far as I'am concerned.If you did not care about electric cost I guess it could be left on all the time not a very good solution for impatient people.Anyway enjoy and keep us informed.Happy Holidays.Gary

Vipers

« Reply #279 on: 26 Dec 2010, 05:50 pm »
Is your 500 GB HD full? If so I would like to know how long it takes for the player to read after turn on.This boot up time is the only fly in the ointment as far as I'am concerned.If you did not care about electric cost I guess it could be left on all the time not a very good solution for impatient people.Anyway enjoy and keep us informed.Happy Holidays.Gary

Hi Gary,
Been busy all day ripping cd's to flac, so far I've done 60 cd's and it has only taken 20GB's, so not too bad really, I'm going to carry on ripping then when I'm done I'll let you know how long boot up time takes and how much I've got stored  :thumb: