BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #920 on: 3 Nov 2011, 05:04 pm »
In my case, it is not about not "getting it", it is more about motivation to change something that already works.  The BDP-1 is ground-breaking in some ways, but very late to the digital party in others. 

I have already invested in learning how to rip, how to organize a large collection of music, how to store and back it up, and in a device to attach to my Bryston DAC, Pre-amp, and amp.  The best device at the time I built my system, was the Transporter, and by definition it is a streamer.  I get fantastic performance, and I isolate the computer/noisy/moving bits in another room by using a network to feed the data.

When James started talking about his vision for the BDP-1, he described a model of use that was back to a Player - media needed to be inserted.  That seemed like a step backwards to me.  I already have a great User Interface, and can control remotely from either a conventional remote control, or from an app on the iPad.

With the actual release of the BDP-1, it was clear that the device could be controlled remotely, but the content still needed to be "inserted".  For those just transitioning to digital, there is no discontinuity, and the model of use is something very familiar - plug in the USB flash drive, and music plays.

I have just moved to a place where I can no longer run wired Ethernet to my Transporter, and have to use Wi-Fi.  Over 802.11b, which is what the Transporter supports, I get dropouts with high resolution material.   

Ironically (for me), I am now looking at the BDP-1 as an alternative.

Hi whanafi,

Good points!

I do not think people realized the problems you can have using high resolution files over a wireless network and also did not realize how much better digital audio could sound if the player was done right. :thumb:

james
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2011, 03:16 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #921 on: 4 Nov 2011, 06:07 pm »
Sent: November-04-11 1:55 PM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: Bryston BDP player and DAC

Hi Bryston

“I have been a techi for most of my life…I have been an audiophile for the last 10 years…I remember paying tens of thousands of dollars for transports and CD players.

After the digital media explosion occurred, it was possible to listen to music without CD’s;  i.e., internet, hard drive, PC’s, etc…since then, I have tried all kinds of media products to replicate the same sound my old expensive CD players were capable of.

Most of these consumer products were ok, but not audiophile quality, until now…the BDP-1 player is an awesome product…it is the first product that I came across that does what I need.  I am sure there are other products like it out there, but they are much more expensive and maybe not as good. This BDP-1 unit is easy to use, dead silent and very versatile.

Once you use the BDP-1, there is no going back. So I would like to congratulate Bryston for making such a terrific product.”

Good luck
Leon

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #922 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm »

SHV

« Reply #923 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:09 pm »
"The user is in good hands with the BDP-1 and will only grow fonder of it in time."
That is the bottom line and my experience also.  The longer I have had it and the more I use it, the more I like it.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #924 on: 17 Nov 2011, 06:57 pm »
Sent: November-17-11 3:05 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Audio Video (June) cover, Review

James,

Sorry we forget to send you some translated sentences from Audio Video Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1 SET review.

REVIEW BRYSTON BDP-1 Digital Player and BDA-1 DAC as System

I must admit that at the very beginning I approached somewhat sceptically the Bryston approach to digital audio playback.

However, it appears that this set of synergistically acting pair, combined with traditional digital cables, is one of the best digital sources that you can buy today,  not only for the 17 high resolution music files you own, but also for the 20 or 25 thousand CD’s available. The music material ripped from CD sounds very musically not digital, offering large-scale sound so-called with terrific air and breathing.

During High - Resolution 88,2-192kHz listening Bryston set has such significant advantages over CD players that you really want to consider the purchase, rather than a comparable priced compact player.

Highlights:

• Sounds completely non- digitally – excellent for diehard fans of vinyl.

• The FLAC 24/192 of - J.S. Bach - Mass B-minor, Dunedin Consort was incredibly suggestive vocals in the listening room ... sound fidelity of old   instruments was extraordinary incomparable with any recording, I knew from the CD version, played on any CD player.

• High resolution file listening takes you to a higher level of musical initiation. You get not only more information and space but an increase in the involvement of the listener and this is after all, what really counts!
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2011, 08:04 pm by James Tanner »

Phil

« Reply #925 on: 19 Nov 2011, 07:04 pm »
Now that I've had the BDP for a while, it seems worth mentioning its consistency -- it always sounds wonderful.  My tube-based system varied quite a bit when spinning CDs.  Not now. 

Long-term satisfaction can be a rare quality in this hobby.  This unit has it.

Phil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #926 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:18 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak peak at Soundstage Review on the BDP-1 Digital Player.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=339

james

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #927 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:31 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak peak at Soundstage Review on the BDP-1 Digital Player.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=339

james

Congrats James!!

Doug nailed it when he said: 

"So if you want to get into not only computer-based playback but hi-rez playback as well, the BDP-1 works exceedingly well, providing a first-class listening experience with any kind of file. Given that this was one of Bryston’s chief design goals with the BDP-1, they’ve succeeded admirably."

From my perspective it is this simple:  The BDP-1 makes my collection sound better than it ever did before, while being simple and reliable.

George

gil99

« Reply #928 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:02 am »
Very good review, it makes me anxious receiving mine which would  probably be this week.  Congrat to Bryston team.

Gil

ecdcyc

« Reply #929 on: 29 Nov 2011, 02:36 am »
James,

Here is a picture of Jeff Rowland with BDP-1, in case you didn't see it:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/10/25/rmaf-2011-thiel-jeff-rowland/

Chihyi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #930 on: 29 Nov 2011, 03:32 am »
James,

Here is a picture of Jeff Rowland with BDP-1, in case you didn't see it:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/10/25/rmaf-2011-thiel-jeff-rowland/

Chihyi

Yes thank you - Jeff was kind enough to come down to our demo room and told me he had a trick out MAC system with Amarra etc. and said he plugged in the BDP-1 and it was no contest :thumb:

Also counted 7 other manufactures using the BDP at thelo Denver Show.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #931 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:48 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see below a link to another terrific review on the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player from Soundstage Magazine.

It appears as if our method on playing back digital files is making some serious market penetration.. We have been in a constant state of backorder since we introduced the BDP-1 and I think it speaks volumes for the fact that ‘PERFORMANCE’ still matters to our customers.

http://bryston.com/PPDF/SSHiFi-Bryston.pdf

James Tanner
Bryston

Alpha10

« Reply #932 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:58 pm »
Congratulations, another cracking review! I do find it funny how many people just didn't 'get' the BDP-1, then they listen to it and find out - music.

Cheers

mystabg

« Reply #933 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:10 pm »
Yes a good review. One thing I learned is you can leave a USB in the player turn the player off then back on and the player does not need to reread the drive.

The reviewer states you can use the houses power lines instead of an eathernet cable.Has any one here tried this and how welldoes it work?

terrycym

« Reply #934 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:18 pm »
Congratulations, another cracking review! I do find it funny how many people just didn't 'get' the BDP-1, then they listen to it and find out - music.
Cheers

I agree whole heartedly!

Other than the sound quality of course, the thing I like most about the BDP-1 is the lack of associated voodoo & BS you get with other products.
No special feet, isolators, cables, resonators or snake oil is required. It just gets on and does the job it was designed to do, no more, no less.

Well done Bryston!

terrycym

« Reply #935 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:19 pm »
The reviewer states you can use the houses power lines instead of an eathernet cable.Has any one here tried this and how welldoes it work?
I have and they work very well indeed. Best choice I made, network wise.
Just do it!

jjc1

« Reply #936 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:31 pm »
Yes a good review. One thing I learned is you can leave a USB in the player turn the player off then back on and the player does not need to reread the drive.

Yes it works perfectly. I use the NETGEAR POWERLINE ADAPTER. This allows the BDP1 to see your home network and there is no need for an ethernet connection to your router from the BDP1. The only ethernet connection is from one of the Adapters to the BDP1 as well as a connection from the other Adapter to your router.

Alpha10

« Reply #937 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:45 pm »
I agree whole heartedly!

Other than the sound quality of course, the thing I like most about the BDP-1 is the lack of associated voodoo & BS you get with other products.
No special feet, isolators, cables, resonators or snake oil is required. It just gets on and does the job it was designed to do, no more, no less.

Well done Bryston!

That is the thing isn't it, the BDP just plays music, no fuss or BS. I like to work from home one day a week and have music playing, so I have simply set up some 14-16 hour playlists to choose from and don't have to think about it again for the whole day. This alone was worth the price of the BDP for me...

Cheers

terrycym

« Reply #938 on: 1 Dec 2011, 05:28 pm »
And unlike some companies, no need for power supply upgrades!
 :scratch:

BrysTony

« Reply #939 on: 8 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm »
I just received the January 2012 The Absolute Sound magazine in which the BDP-1 won a TAS Product of the Year Award.  There is a nice writeup which states in part: "... The BDP-1 offers a level of detail, clarity, focus, dynamics and resolution that is nothing short of revelatory.  A new kind of component for a new age."

Congratulations to James and the entire Bryston team for this well-deserved award.
 :thumb: :thumb:

Tony