BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Vipers

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #800 on: 10 May 2011, 05:27 pm »
Hi James,

Not sure if you are aware but this months 'What Hi-Fi' was released today in the UK with a review of the BDP-1/BDA-1, apparently according to the front of the mag it is 'The worlds N01 home entertainment magazine' although many of it's comment are frowned upon over here there is no denying that it is the magazine that is read by the masses and carries some real clout, here's the low-down.

Basically it is a review of both the BDP-1 and BDA-1, both getting 4 out of 5 stars, so not too bad at all.

Comments on the BDP-1

For - Impressive file compatibility, easy to use, solid build.
Against - No Streaming, no DAC, no storage  :duh:
Verdict - Limited features aside the BDP-1 is one of the few true hi-fi media players

Here's a snippet from the article :-

The Bryston media player and Dac serve up spell-binding finesse, a lightness of touch, that once heard is hard to do without - and dynamics are unstoppable when the music demands.

Comments on the BDA-1 :-

For - even handed sound with plenty of insight, impressive range of inputs.
Against - Some rivals are even more engaging
Verdict - A fine unit. It appeals as much for its inputs and build as it does for its great sound.

All very positive stuff, should help more Brits become aware of the greatness of the BDP/BDA combo  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #801 on: 10 May 2011, 05:32 pm »
Hi James,

Not sure if you are aware but this months 'What Hi-Fi' was released today in the UK with a review of the BDP-1/BDA-1, apparently according to the front of the mag it is 'The worlds N01 home entertainment magazine' although many of it's comment are frowned upon over here there is no denying that it is the magazine that is read by the masses and carries some real clout, here's the low-down.

Basically it is a review of both the BDP-1 and BDA-1, both getting 4 out of 5 stars, so not too bad at all.

Comments on the BDP-1

For - Impressive file compatibility, easy to use, solid build.
Against - No Streaming, no DAC, no storage  :duh:
Verdict - Limited features aside the BDP-1 is one of the few true hi-fi media players

Here's a snippet from the article :-

The Bryston media player and Dac serve up spell-binding finesse, a lightness of touch, that once heard is hard to do without - and dynamics are unstoppable when the music demands.

Comments on the BDA-1 :-

For - even handed sound with plenty of insight, impressive range of inputs.
Against - Some rivals are even more engaging
Verdict - A fine unit. It appeals as much for its inputs and build as it does for its great sound.

All very positive stuff, should help more Brits become aware of the greatness of the BDP/BDA combo  :)

Thanks Vipers - I was not aware of this particular review. It is great that they recognize the sound quality as the other additional features can be added going forward. 

james

Vipers

« Reply #802 on: 11 May 2011, 07:05 am »
Thanks Vipers - I was not aware of this particular review. It is great that they recognize the sound quality as the other additional features can be added going forward. 

james

Interesting comments James, if I read between the lines could it be that Bryston are thinking along the lines of an all in one unit like the Naim HDX  :)

Alpha10

« Reply #803 on: 11 May 2011, 07:21 am »
Interesting comments James, if I read between the lines could it be that Bryston are thinking along the lines of an all in one unit like the Naim HDX  :)

I still don’t see what all the obsession with streaming is, if you have ALL your music attached to the player (ideally either with a cosmetically matched drive unit or internally) what else is there to stream for most people? I agree internet radio is a useful value-add, but we are getting there with the BDP on that front.

It has to be the sound quality first that counts, not features and keeping up with the Joneses; it is dedication to that philosophy that I admire in Bryston, long may it continue!

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #804 on: 11 May 2011, 10:29 am »

Hi Vipers,

No I just meant some of the improvements we have made in software helps expand the appeal of the BDP-1.  Honestly we tried the 'all in one approach' initially and although it worked OK we felt we could achieve better performance with more specialization in function.

james

Vipers

« Reply #805 on: 11 May 2011, 12:57 pm »
I still don’t see what all the obsession with streaming is, if you have ALL your music attached to the player (ideally either with a cosmetically matched drive unit or internally) what else is there to stream for most people?
It has to be the sound quality first that counts, not features and keeping up with the Joneses; it is dedication to that philosophy that I admire in Bryston, long may it continue!

Cheers

Couldn't agree more Alpha, as you know I'm about to start in retail where I'll be selling Linn and Naim streamers alongside the BDP-1 and I'm going to find it hard to recommend anything other than the BDP-1, for one it sounds amazing and although Linn will say otherwise, I can't see how streaming won't have a detrimental effect in some way in overall sound quality, no matter how small, so surely having everything stored locally has got to be the way forward.

I'd still like a dedicated Bryston HDD enclosure James  :)

Vipers

« Reply #806 on: 11 May 2011, 01:07 pm »
Hi Vipers,

No I just meant some of the improvements we have made in software helps expand the appeal of the BDP-1.  Honestly we tried the 'all in one approach' initially and although it worked OK we felt we could achieve better performance with more specialization in function.

james

I was only pulling your chain James  :)

What I love about Bryston is you don't bring out many devices that do the same thing as Linn with their streamers, and Naim with all their differnet upgrade paths with power supplies etc, although you have to say that is great marketing, you research what products are needed, maximise sound and build quality and release one product, as in the BCD-1, in my book that has to be applauded, I'm just glad I discovered Bryston.

OK that's enough Bryston lovin' for today :D

headshrinker2

« Reply #807 on: 12 May 2011, 04:01 pm »
Alpha,
I very much agree.  If all my music is readily available, my only interest would be getting the best sound quality. I think the BDP-1 definitely has a place in the audiophile market.

I still don’t see what all the obsession with streaming is, if you have ALL your music attached to the player (ideally either with a cosmetically matched drive unit or internally) what else is there to stream for most people? I agree internet radio is a useful value-add, but we are getting there with the BDP on that front.

Cheers

FatherVic

« Reply #808 on: 15 May 2011, 03:28 pm »
I still don’t see what all the obsession with streaming is, if you have ALL your music attached to the player what else is there to stream for most people?
It has to be the sound quality first that counts, not features and keeping up with the Joneses

I understand the views here but the way I see it is there are lots of people who will have already embraced the use use of streaming and archiving of collections may have already invested heavily in good quality storage solutions rather than having to have data storage directly coupled to the players.

I was rather disappointed when I first heard about this unit that it was designed with USB drives in mind.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the amount of research done in to how the BDP-1 should operate and that quality is of importance.
Personally I invested in a Qnap TS410 with 6TB of storage for the intention of streaming media - currently via my fab little Sonos for music and a Popcorn Hour for DVD and Bluray.  The reason for such a storage solution was because of the amount of data I have and being able to keep it safe with the use of RAID.
Now something like this isn't exactly cheap but certainly almost useless if I were to buy the Bryston.

Vipers - it would be nice to get a little report from you with an A/B/C dem with the likes of the Bryston, Linn and Naim systems side by side at your disposal  :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #809 on: 15 May 2011, 07:04 pm »

Vipers - it would be nice to get a little report from you with an A/B/C dem with the likes of the Bryston, Linn and Naim systems side by side at your disposal  :thumb:

Consider it done FatherVic, although I don't start for a couple of weeks, I can't wait to get stuck in and compare Naim and Linn's solutions to playing back Flac and Hi Res files against the BDP-1. I'm especially looking forward to sitting down with the Linn Klimax DS to see how they can justify £13,000 for a streamer  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #810 on: 15 May 2011, 07:46 pm »
Consider it done FatherVic, although I don't start for a couple of weeks, I can't wait to get stuck in and compare Naim and Linn's solutions to playing back Flac and Hi Res files against the BDP-1. I'm especially looking forward to sitting down with the Linn Klimax DS to see how they can justify £13,000 for a streamer  :o

Just a word caution Vipers - now that your 'officially' selling the gear you may have to temper your comments or risk being ex-communicated :lol:

james

terrycym

« Reply #811 on: 16 May 2011, 12:44 pm »
Hey Vipers,

Is this new dealer you'll be working for have a "metalic" sound to it?
Do we get a discount on the Bryston disk drive (hint!)

Terry

afblaster

« Reply #812 on: 16 May 2011, 02:29 pm »
I was browsing the June issue of What Hi Fi? mag and discovered that it has a review of the BDP-1 and BDA-1.
They both receive 4 star reviews, the BDP-1's plus points being its compatibility with many file types, 24/192 playback,
ease of use and solid build.  Negative points are no streaming, no DAC and no storage.
The BDA-1's pluses are even handed sound with plenty of insight and impressive number of inputs, the only negative being
that some rivals are more engaging.

I use a BDA-1 and have auditioned, briefly, the BDP-1.  As a long time user of the Squeezebox system I am currently using
the Touch with all Soundcheck's software modifications installed, streaming FLAC music files from a Unix server. I considered
that the difference in sound between the Bryston and the Touch was very small.  That coupled with the inconvenience (to me)
of not being able to stream to the BDP-1 has pursuaded me to stay with the Squeezebox system.  However I hope to have
an extended listen to the BDP-1 in the near future, and maybe it will change my mind.  However at £2350 as opposed to
around £500 (including a Teddy Pardo linear power supply) it will have to be very much better to pursuade me to change.

Afblaster

FatherVic

« Reply #813 on: 16 May 2011, 08:07 pm »
I'm especially looking forward to sitting down with the Linn Klimax DS to see how they can justify £13,000 for a streamer  :o

Whilst at my last store, we ran an event to promote the move to streaming.  As a flagship dem we used the Klimax along with a pair of the aktiv 350s.
When I visited the factory I also got to listen to the Klimax through their Komris and a bank of 8 Solos bolted to the wall...  It was good but never really achieved the sound I liked.  And there wasn't a chance to compare any other sources other than an LP12.

Vipers

« Reply #814 on: 16 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
Just a word caution Vipers - now that your 'officially' selling the gear you may have to temper your comments or risk being ex-communicated :lol:

james

I'll be on my best behaviour James  :wink:

I promise not to swear too much either with four letter words like Naim and Linn on here  :)

Vipers

« Reply #815 on: 16 May 2011, 09:47 pm »
Hey Vipers,

Is this new dealer you'll be working for have a "metalic" sound to it?
Do we get a discount on the Bryston disk drive (hint!)

Terry

Hey Terry,

You've hit the proverbial nail the the head there.

I'm sure something could be sorted regarding the disk drive unit, especially if you buy the headphone amp at the same time :)

terrycym

« Reply #816 on: 17 May 2011, 09:00 am »
...as you know I'm about to start in retail where I'll be selling Linn and Naim streamers alongside the BDP-1 and I'm going to find it hard to recommend anything other than the BDP-1, for one it sounds amazing and although Linn will say otherwise, ..

I'd still like a dedicated Bryston HDD enclosure James  :)

Vipers, doesn't your new frm sell Meridian too. I saw one there set up in front of a TV.
Their interface (Sooloos) looks quite comprehensive.
I'd be interested to see how Meridian compares with Linn, Naim & Bryston.
Is Meridian all fur coat and no knickers?

The big "advantage" of Naim is their "upgrade" path which leaves their customers always believing that "better" sound is just a "upgrade" away.
Sarcasm intended.

Terry

Vipers

« Reply #817 on: 17 May 2011, 10:23 am »
Vipers, doesn't your new frm sell Meridian too. I saw one there set up in front of a TV.
Their interface (Sooloos) looks quite comprehensive.
I'd be interested to see how Meridian compares with Linn, Naim & Bryston.
Is Meridian all fur coat and no knickers?

The big "advantage" of Naim is their "upgrade" path which leaves their customers always believing that "better" sound is just a "upgrade" away.
Sarcasm intended.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, you're right, the Sooloos is also something I can play with, Looks like I'm going to be busy  :)

I'm not sure if it was by design or accident that Naim have ended up with such a comprehensive upgrade path, great marketing on their part though you have to say.

terrycym

« Reply #818 on: 17 May 2011, 10:43 am »
The stereophile review of the Sooloos quite liked the interface (it looks like complication and functionality gone OTT as far as I'm concerned because the programmers were clever database programmers) but they were quite damning regarding the Sooloos DAC. Which was bad for a device costing > £5,000.
But since then, Sooloos have been bought out by Meridian so maybe they've improved the DACs?

Vipers

« Reply #819 on: 17 May 2011, 01:22 pm »
The stereophile review of the Sooloos quite liked the interface (it looks like complication and functionality gone OTT as far as I'm concerned because the programmers were clever database programmers) but they were quite damning regarding the Sooloos DAC. Which was bad for a device costing > £5,000.
But since then, Sooloos have been bought out by Meridian so maybe they've improved the DACs?

Funny you should say that but I've just been reading a review in this months Hi Fi news of the Sooloos Control 15, it liked the user interface obviously but wasn't to polite regarding 16bit Flac playback audio quality and also mentioned that there was no external USB connection so the only way to add 24bit files was over the network which was a pain to setup and then wouldn't transfer 24/96 files atall, sounds bit of a mess tbh.

When reading all these reviews I keep comparing them to the BDP-1, why would you want anything else? it's like the Naim NDX or the HDX, it doesn't stream anything over 24/96, surely that is not what you call future proof, if you're going to bother with streaming surely you need to support 24/192, I guess I'm preaching to the converted on here though :)