New member's V-2 build [Complete]

Groundzero

Re: New member's V-2 build
« Reply #80 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm »
Thanks everyone  :xmas:
and a special thanks to Danny for designing such a great speaker  :thumb:  :bowdown:

Man those look great!! 

How thick is the padauk? I like the beefy look they are projecting. Nice work.  :thumb: :thumb:

2" thick  :D

Those look amazing!! :thumb:

Any first impressions?

Congrats!!

You mean other than jaw dropping sock blowing off good?  :lol: This is my first pair of proper speakers so I can't really offer any impressions since I have nothing to compare them to. I mean, I have my headphone setup but that's like apples and oranges.

I guess the only thing I can say is that they need tubes. I prefer a little warmth and mid range bloom with my music and the solid state receiver just isn't cutting it.

driguy

« Reply #81 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:52 am »
Nice work! The Padauk will darken over time but it actually (IMO) looks richer as it darkens. I get lots of compliments on mine years after they were built. I am sure that those speakers will sound better after more break-in time and with better front end components as well. Good luck in the future.
Tony

mpauly

« Reply #82 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:23 am »
Those look great.  Lets see some side/angle shots too.

Michael

persisting1

« Reply #83 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:27 am »

Michael

+1  :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #84 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:02 am »
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to go with plain wood screws and pilot holes for the main 12" sections, and wood glue for the upper 8" driver section. I couldn't find a place to put screws from the back side and didn't want screw heads on the outside of the padauk. Anyways, here they are all done:

As of right now I'm running them off my old home theater receiver since I can't afford a proper amp yet. When I can though I'm looking at a Virtue Sensation with the tube buffer.

Man those look amazing! Really top notch craftsmanship. Well done!  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #85 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:06 pm »
The sound really changes with break in.  My avr receiver sucks really big time for music...

They look great

HT cOz

« Reply #86 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:56 pm »
Trully inspirational work  :thumb:  If you wanted to DIY an amp to get you by until the funds get replentished these guys make some sweet amps for a very small amount of coin.

hifimediy.com   

One of these T-AMPS and a used Squeezebox could get you by for a long time.

skeeter99

« Reply #87 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:06 pm »
Trully inspirational work  :thumb:  If you wanted to DIY an amp to get you by until the funds get replentished these guys make some sweet amps for a very small amount of coin.

hifimediy.com   

Ooh thanks for the linky  :thumb:

Groundzero

« Reply #88 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:15 pm »

Michael

As you wish  :xmas:
(excuse the finger prints, I'm still moving them around to see what I like the best)

hifimediy.com   

Thanks for the link but I think I'll just wait for the Virtue. I'll probably get a standard M451 first, let my wallet recover, then send it in for the bypass caps and tube buffer. That way I don't need a huge lump sum and get to enjoy it in the meantime. Maybe the guys over at Virtue can do a custom matching Padauk top for the amp.  :wink:

kp93300

« Reply #89 on: 24 Dec 2010, 02:27 am »
HI Ground zero,
Very inspiring work.
Went to see the carpenter yesterday and he asked me what is the thickness of the oblique panels holding the woofers ? Any pointers?

I am trying to decide between spray painting or wood veneer for finishing ? The carpenter is more familiar with spray painting ?

Can some one share their experience with putting on veneer ?  What  are the tools needed ? Any good reading material ?

thanks

kp93300

Groundzero

« Reply #90 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:58 am »
The oblique pieces holding the woofers are 3/4". I painted the MDF sections because I have no experience applying veneer and didn't want to be experimenting on these.

dvenardos

« Reply #91 on: 24 Dec 2010, 07:34 am »
I used the iron on veneer method and found it very user friendly.
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/ironon.html

Nick77

« Reply #92 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:00 am »
I used the iron on method of applying veneer also with just diluted yellow glue. Worked great!

murphy11

« Reply #93 on: 24 Dec 2010, 02:31 pm »
Where did you get the idea for the outriggers and do they have spikes? I've never seen them on the V2 before but they look really cool and I'm guessing that with spikes, they improve the bass response?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #94 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:03 pm »

hifimediy.com

Great prices.  Any links to user reviews?

Groundzero

« Reply #95 on: 24 Dec 2010, 07:47 pm »
Where did you get the idea for the outriggers and do they have spikes? I've never seen them on the V2 before but they look really cool and I'm guessing that with spikes, they improve the bass response?

By outriggers you mean the feet sticking out the sides? I got the idea from Danny's, and yes they do have spikes on them.

kp93300

Re: New member's V-2 build [Complete]
« Reply #96 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:26 pm »
Hi Groundzero,
Can you post some pictures at the back of the speaker?
I am particularly interested to find out how you attached the speaker binding post and the arrangement of the wires .

Is it feasible to make a cover for the crossover section?

Merry christmas and happy new year to you and your family .

regards

kp93300

Groundzero

« Reply #97 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a little problem I'm hoping you all can help me with. It seems no matter how I position the speakers the sound stage is very tightly focused in the center between the speakers. I have tried  extreme toe-in, no toe at all, and everywhere in between. Sharp vocals/treble were a problem with only slight toe-in and I found that they got less intense the more I angled them inward. As I understand it, the opposite of this should be true? I was discussing it with a good friend and he said that it is likely caused by bad reflections in the room. I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions like room treatments, positioning, etc. I'm sure the slanted ceiling isn't helping either.  :?

ebag4

« Reply #98 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:11 pm »
FWIW I found that my soundstage width improved dramatically when I installed a parabolic diffuser on the frontwall between my V-1s.  I have also noticed that not all songs play outside of the speakers.  Try the Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil, it starts early on with moroccas (sp?) outside the right speaker.

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #99 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a little problem I'm hoping you all can help me with. It seems no matter how I position the speakers the sound stage is very tightly focused in the center between the speakers. I have tried  extreme toe-in, no toe at all, and everywhere in between. Sharp vocals/treble were a problem with only slight toe-in and I found that they got less intense the more I angled them inward. As I understand it, the opposite of this should be true? I was discussing it with a good friend and he said that it is likely caused by bad reflections in the room. I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions like room treatments, positioning, etc. I'm sure the slanted ceiling isn't helping either.  :?

Try pulling them 3 feet closer to you.