The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak

BudP

Re: The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak
« Reply #140 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:14 am »
Bud, I have 30 and 36 ga magnet wire and a solder pot now.  It appears I can melt the coating in the pot, clean off the burnt coating and expose copper and solder the wires together.

How many loops of this size wire and what diameter should I start with?

Should I then twist them together or leave them in an open loop?

I would use the #36 AWG wire, especially if the label refers to it as #36 SN, or single coated insulation. You will need 88 strands and six inches to come close to what I use. There will be a slight increase in RAC but not enough to have to make big changes to accommodate.

Stick two smooth nails, 3 inches apart,  into a block of wood and cut the heads off. Tape the end of the coil wire next to one nail, to one side and a little beyond the actual nail and wrap the thing around both nails 88 times. Then place a 1/8 inch wide strip of crepe paper masking tape over all of the wires on one side of the post where you taped your start wire down, just to the inside of the nail. Then gather up the start wire and tape it and all of the other side wires together on the other side of the nail, just to the inside of the nail, away from the actual loop curves. These should be a fairly tight bundles and both at the same end where the start wire and end wire ended up.

Remove the loop of wire and cut it between the two, relatively close together tape wraps. You should now have a 6 inch plus length of cable . You cannot emulate a Litz type 1 twist, but that should not present a problem. Tin the open ends of this cable. Use a liquid flux if you have one and cut it with 99.99% pure isopropyl alcohol from your local drug store until it resembles weak tea in color. This mixture will ablate the wire insulation and tin the wires very quickly. Dip it past the tape and when the brown goop stops rising, remove the wire and wipe it in a double folded cotton shop towel from just above the solder to the cable end. This will squeeze the excess solder and burnt insulation out, leaving an ugly spot on the rag.
Do this to both ends of the cable.

Twist the length of cable at least two full turns down it's length and try to keep it from untwisting (not easy). Now take an appropriate size of shrink tube and cut a 0.9 inch piece off, fold the cable in the middle and slip the tube over the two parts. Then solder the two dipped ends together and attach them to a short piece of tinned copper wire, either solid or stranded and go hook it up to your speaker ground lug. Make two of these of course.

Bud
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 03:32 am by BudP »

BudP

« Reply #141 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:21 am »
TJHUB, you are just suffering the exact same mass hypnosis the rest of us are suffering from, welcome home!

Bud

TooManyToys

« Reply #142 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:26 am »
Perhaps that would explain why you weren't impressed.  When I tried CMR and CMG as speaker cable I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about.  CMP has a very thin Plenum coating insulator which makes a very significant audible difference.

Which is why I ordered the Litz   :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #143 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:41 am »
I had some CAT5e cable lying around with nothing to do, I made some single wire 20" loops and installed them on the negative speaker terminals.

This could be in my head, but I really hear a considerable difference in the clarity, separation, and imaging.  It sounds like there is a blacker (or quieter) background.  Micro dynamics seem more obvious and I don't have to listen for details; they are just there.  The sound stage also seems to have more depth as in sounds coming from near compared to farther away.

That's exactly what I'm hearing too.  What type of CAT 5 are you using?

TJHUB

« Reply #144 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:45 am »
TJHUB, you are just suffering the exact same mass hypnosis the rest of us are suffering from, welcome home!

Bud

Thanks Bud.  I'm just happy to be part of the group.  :thumb:

That's exactly what I'm hearing too.  What type of CAT 5 are you using?

It's MPR/CMR.  It's all I have lying around from about 10 years ago when I wired my new home.  I'm still shocked this works at all. 

Mmaxed

« Reply #145 on: 24 Nov 2010, 04:44 am »
OK, so at first I figure this has to be a joke, but checking the calender it's not April for a few more months.  So you all seem to be smoking the same $hit??  Naw, you actually  think these wire thingies can make a difference.

Only one thing to do.  Grab the closest wire which happens to be 16 ga stranded automotive type, red insulation, and build some jewelry for my speakers.  Get them hooked up and put on a CD I've become very familiar with will testing equipment setup lately. 

Phone rings so when I come back and sit down to listen I'm shocked.  My ears must be getting worse than I thought...pretty sure I'm not drunk, it's the middle of the day...the newly built speakers are breaking in...this just can't be!!       

The only thing I can do is take the new hardware off and listen again.  Reinstall and listen again.  Repeat.  Well the power of suggestion is strong with this group or there is something to this here goofy sounding wire loop.  Like someone else said the difference is not that subtle. 

This is the second day with this mod and I still can't believe it.  Still have to unplug them and replay a song.  I mean it has to be a mind trick of some kind, right?  Please tell me I'm not crazy.  I know I'll be picked on if anyone notices my speaker jewelry.

BudP

« Reply #146 on: 24 Nov 2010, 05:02 am »
Mmaxed,

You have heard of quantum decoherence right? The thing where the quantum choice fog slowly firms up into the coarse grained reality you and I experience, because of all of the choices made by those which can choose and then even more firming up, from the consequences of those choices whirling around? Well, who's to say we aren't enforcing a specific decoherence right here amongst this group?

Just keep taking the jewelry off and putting it back on, that's all we need from you right now. We will get back to you.

:D

Bud

*Scotty*

« Reply #147 on: 24 Nov 2010, 06:44 am »
Mmaxed,These are not the droids you are looking for.
 Scotty

TooManyToys

« Reply #148 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:03 pm »
Mmaxed,

What length did you use?

Mmaxed

« Reply #149 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:49 pm »
Just keep taking the jewelry off and putting it back on, that's all we need from you right now. We will get back to you.

Yes Sir!

Mmaxed,These are not the droids you are looking for.
 Scotty

But I like the droids.  I want to keep them for a while.

Mmaxed,

What length did you use?

Each loop is 12 in. total.  Stripped about 1 1/2" from each end and twisted the ends together.  Poked the ends into a banana plug and tightened the set screw.  poked the plugs into the binding posts on the speaks since the wires are clamped into the posts.  Sat back to learn how little I know once again.   

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #150 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:59 pm »
Bud I have to tell ya that your posts on a item that you are involved with as a product for sale is very honorable. We need more people like you around. Like Brian and Ethan, very willing to offer free advice. Much appreciated by all.
   Thanks for all the tips and instructions. I have tried several wires and they all make a difference, some good some not so good.
   Thanks again.

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #151 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:28 pm »
I have tried several wires and they all make a difference, some good some not so good.

Charles,

Would you be willing to elaborate on that a little?

Thanks - John.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #152 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:45 pm »
 Solid core copper Teflon dielectric [ Mundorf], stranded silver/gold  [ Siltech], Speltz speaker wire, Supra litz speaker cable.
 All wires were double looped approx 12" long, not folded over or soldered.The Supra with the most mass sounded the best. It is also hollow construction so I inserted a solid core copper into the cable and made a hook at one end. No solder. The best yet. All wires used increased clarity, soundstage and bass. However the top end was either missing or stident The siltech was the second best sounding.  The Supra presented no ill affect and is staying put until I try the real deal.

charles

TooManyToys

« Reply #153 on: 24 Nov 2010, 06:57 pm »
....... 16 ga stranded automotive type, red insulation .....

....Each loop is 12 in. total.  Stripped about 1 1/2" from each end and twisted the ends together.

Mo' bettr (then Cat 5e).  Used green insulation.  May have to try red  :green:

TJHUB

« Reply #154 on: 24 Nov 2010, 08:50 pm »
I'm just going to throw this out here again.  I sat down about a half hour ago to listen with fresh ears.  I've been listening to what seems like a different setup.  I'm not saying it's night and day, but I get a much better connection with the music now than I have recently.  This for me is a sign that something is just plain better.  Today, I can still say that what I posted yesterday is still true.  No "break in", no "acclimation", nothing.  My setup simply sounds better.  The clarity, separation, and sound stage are the best aspects of the change.

I am really looking forward to getting the real thing.  I am completely sold on this idea. 

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #155 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:37 pm »
I can't believe this thread is serious.   :o Why no one is objecting?

*Scotty*

« Reply #156 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:21 pm »
This is sort a what if. I have unused Goertz Alpha Core inductors that I have unwound for the purpose of having copper foil available for projects. I wonder what the results would be if I used a 6" or 12" piece connected to my negative terminals. I will have to try this over the holidays.
Scotty

BudP

« Reply #157 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:06 am »
I can't believe this thread is serious.   :o Why no one is objecting?

Well, why aren't you objecting? Seriously, conscientious objection is welcome, everyone learns from it, so long as they don't take it personally.

Do please try the loops of wire described in this thread on your own system and report back from a skeptical point of view. Providing an argument against the Ground Control and diy off shoots, from the typical first approximation derivations from Maxwell's deterministic field theories is difficult. The fields involved here are very low level and do involve quantum level choice and information theory signal coherence at that point of choice.

Or, at least those are the view points I utilize when thinking about tuning the response of these odd ducks to back half of the wave form information coherence retention. I know, lotta big words and hand waving, but I find no other useful words or areas of thought for predicting how to go about enhancing the four areas of signal retention I am currently aware of.

Bud

BudP

« Reply #158 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:12 am »
Scotty,

Keep the insulating plastic on at least one side of the foil, just to play with and use a pretty good, bare, solid or stranded wire to connect the foil to the terminal and make it as short as possible. Also have a piece of cotton terry cloth to experiment with. Another person, over on the diy thread used a copper plate and found that it altered his sonic's to good effect. He did provide a detailed write up on his investigation. The thread is located here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1213239#post1213239

Bud

*Scotty*

« Reply #159 on: 25 Nov 2010, 01:31 am »
The plastic is not attached to the foil. I can fold the foil and punch a hole which will result in a make -shift spade-lug. This allows a direct connection to the binding post with no soldering required.
There might also be an improvement possible from taking the loop of litz wire and using a gas tight crimp to connect a copper spade-lug to the loop instead of a solder connection.
Scotty