The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: The BudP DIY Speaker Ground Tweak
« Reply #100 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:38 pm »
So, an 8 step plan to get you into the poor house. And if you have a home theater system, well, our first Ground Plain product will be an even greater enticement than are the Ground Controls.

Bud

The poor house, hea?

That said, you stated in the few posts back that it's easy to go overboard with these grounding wires and stated {Even GC's can be used to an extreme, with no more than two being recommended for any stage in the reproduction chain, but their use will not interfere with any other stage in that chain.} So would you say that from the CDP to the Preamp to be considered 1 stage, from the Preamp to the Amp being 1 stage, and from the Amp to the Loudspeakers being yet 1 more stage? And with no more than 2 grounding devices per stage, having 6 CD to loudspeaker grounding devices would be considered the optimal usage of these grounding devices? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #101 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:54 pm »
Have to congratulate and recognize BudP for the time and energy he has put in explaining this tweak, the details offered and the direct help with the diy approach.

Hope some of us following this thread (myself included) support him with some purchases of his commercial tweak or other products he may have on offer, now and in the future.

I do not see anywhere near the support from the the other 'mind blowing' purveyor in this regard on that thread, yet there seem to be a number of purchases of that tweak.

Just saying... - support has value.

Thanks Bud.

- David.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #102 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:02 am »
This question is not for nor is it against and is asked out of well meant curiosity. Seriously,  :)

I've been curious as well regarding the EVS Ground Enhancers and will either try it via the diy recipe route or pick up a couple of pairs.

Am curious about another aspect - that is how much of a role we are playing in this?

I know I'm going down the psycho-acoustic rabbit-hole, but nontheless....

curious about what those of you have used them would say, in case you have wondered the same?

Maybe you find your answers here David.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

BudP

« Reply #103 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:51 am »
Satfrat.

Yes, that is what I have in my system, though I do have an extra pair on the plate amps running my sub woofer boxes.

By the way, remember my mention of Planet 10 Hi Fi? My entire speaker system is from them, so I wasn't just being kind to a friend. Their finished goods are exceptional and they will sell you pre cut kits for the boxes and treated drivers to go in them. We are talking superior to world class sound.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

Bud

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #104 on: 23 Nov 2010, 01:03 am »
Bud,

What are your thoughts on Cat 5e wire for this? 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #105 on: 23 Nov 2010, 01:10 am »
Satfrat.

Yes, that is what I have in my system, though I do have an extra pair on the plate amps running my sub woofer boxes.

By the way, remember my mention of Planet 10 Hi Fi? My entire speaker system is from them, so I wasn't just being kind to a friend. Their finished goods are exceptional and they will sell you pre cut kits for the boxes and treated drivers to go in them. We are talking superior to world class sound.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

Bud

An RCA ground on the subwoofer too? Now I hadn't even thought of that.  :thumb:   Do you recommend RCA grounds to be used as pairs, say right/left analog verses just using 1 per component? 6-8 grounding devices in a system isn't too bad, definitely a system target to shoot for I guess.

Planet 10,,, very nice Lab Circle Ad also.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #106 on: 23 Nov 2010, 01:40 am »
Could there be any correlation between GC efficacy and impedance? 
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2010, 02:57 am by Wind Chaser »

BudP

« Reply #107 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:09 am »
What are your thoughts on Cat 5e wire for this?

That Windchasers findings are within the realm of my expectations. Too much of an insulation material aimed at different characteristics than what is in GC's and a poor control over materials tuneability, for a neutral response. Good experiment, but you can have more and better and also worse.

Do you recommend RCA grounds to be used as pairs, say right/left analog verses just using 1 per component?

Depends upon the internal ground structure. Most commercial stuff has common input and output grounds and both channels tied together. In this case one RCA will work. Two will provide more and maybe three, but probably not. For separate components, with common input to output grounds, it doesn't matter which type you use, RCA or Lugs, but two is still a max in most cases.

Could there be any correlation between GE efficacy and impedance?

Yup.

Bud

Wind Chaser

« Reply #108 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:15 am »
So would a higher impedance yield a more substantial dividend?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:23 am »
Thank you very much Bud.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #110 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:40 am »
Have to congratulate and recognize BudP for the time and energy he has put in explaining this tweak, the details offered and the direct help with the diy approach.

Hope some of us following this thread (myself included) support him with some purchases of his commercial tweak or other products he may have on offer, now and in the future.

I do not see anywhere near the support from the the other 'mind blowing' purveyor in this regard on that thread, yet there seem to be a number of purchases of that tweak.

Just saying... - support has value.

Thanks Bud.

- David.

David,

Thanks for the clarification.  So in essence there are 3 avenues to this technology.

- The first being through Bud, the innovator who has done all the work and R&D who also markets his own product.
- The second approach is through a competitor who may or may not be affiliated with Bud.
- The third approach being DIY.

Considering the significance / effectiveness of this tweak, I’d say it’s only fair that Bud receives some form of compensation. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #111 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:55 am »
Bud,

You probably have already posted a link to your website somewhere in one of these threads, but could you send it to me in a PM.

John

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #112 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:22 am »
David,

Thanks for the clarification.  So in essence there are 3 avenues to this technology.

- The first being through Bud, the innovator who has done all the work and R&D who also markets his own product.
- The second approach is through a competitor who may or may not be affiliated with Bud.
- The third approach being DIY.

Considering the significance / effectiveness of this tweak, I’d say it’s only fair that Bud receives some form of compensation.

Hi John,

I am not sure as to all the avenues, but the ones you mention sound, well, sound!

Posted what I did since I clearly noticed the support Bud was providing to the members on the diy side, as well as to some, in terms of explanations, who have purchased from the other source.

Therefore, the point. Thanks for picking up on it. I personally have learned quite a bit on this particular thread. So once again, thanks Bud.

I only speak for myself: I do put a value on support and am willing to pay a premium for it. Had it not been for this thread, I would not have been exposed to BudP's work and I, for one, will keep that in mind for any future purchases, for this tweak or another offering.

Can only hope for something similar factoring into other member's decisions.

- David.

BudP

« Reply #113 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:23 am »
So would a higher impedance yield a more substantial dividend?

Nope. You want to entice those tiny electrons into your noose and a big step up is not the way to do so, remember you are competing with mother earth for primacy, or at least equality in choice of where information enhanced AC signal is going to go, dragging their favorite electrons with them. You want the hole they fall into to be wide and deep.

Bud

SCooper

« Reply #114 on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
Here is a report on VMPS RM40. These are a DIY. I used three runs of 40/44 Litz and followed the recipe on the circle.
First let me explain I installed Litz wire internal on the panels and tweeter a long time ago. Also moved the xovers to external units and replaced the upper range inductors with Solen Litz componets.

Bi amp BAT75 on top Parasound ss on bottom.

Now to the tweek.
Followed B's advice and installed on the panels after the xover on neg terminal. Copying from one of BudP earlier posts "the result is a suddenly murky and dulled sound." and that was exactly what I experienced. Evidently too much Litz in the system ?
Moved on and placed on the bass after the xover.  nice improvement.  added to amp end, again nice improvement. 
Next, build more units and do CDP and tuner. May try on amp end of the BAT amp.

BudP

« Reply #115 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:40 pm »
"the result is a suddenly murky and dulled sound." and that was exactly what I experienced. Evidently too much Litz in the system ?

Assuming this is true Litz, where every strand is insulated from every other by a VERY thin coating (you want what is called "single build" coating) and no additional insulation on or within an inch of the wire, then yes, and cut the amount of wire by 1/3 in length, assuming you had 6 inches in a loop to begin with.

Bud

BudP

« Reply #116 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:46 pm »

Nope, no affiliation, but as far as I know, no animosity either. In fact, I am planning that our first Ground Plain product be one that can be matched with our esteemed competitors product, to provide something quite special.

Bud

SCooper

« Reply #117 on: 23 Nov 2010, 07:14 pm »
Assuming this is true Litz, where every strand is insulated from every other by a VERY thin coating (you want what is called "single build" coating) and no additional insulation on or within an inch of the wire, then yes, and cut the amount of wire by 1/3 in length, assuming you had 6 inches in a loop to begin with.

Bud

Yes, true Litz, unserved and am not aware of single or double build.
Should I try without the cotton sleeve  ? I will try reducing the six in. to four.
Thanks;

Stu

BudP

« Reply #118 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:00 pm »
The cotton sleeve is moderately important. Removal will make a difference in what you hear of hall sounds. So, quite subtle, until you start to add in threads of other materials, as you would find in hollow woven cords from female oriented hobby shops. Things will change pretty drastically with the addition of just 10% Orlon thread to the cotton. I would leave the cotton on personally and I would try both removal of a third of the strands or cutting them all by 1/3 in length, if you have enough material to play with. Again, some subtle differences will be found.

Bud

Mike B.

« Reply #119 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:11 pm »
Nope, no affiliation, but as far as I know, no animosity either. In fact, I am planning that our first Ground Plain product be one that can be matched with our esteemed competitors product, to provide something quite special.

Bud

Bud, I come for the academic world.  There, and in most of the written and visual arts someone copying work would be called out for plagiarism. That is assuming the item was a close copy in form and function. I hope the competitor for this item makes a product with significant variations from your offering?