Atma-sphere S-30 lost channel--help!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Atma-sphere S-30 lost channel--help!
« Reply #40 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:06 am »
Between the repair and shipping it set me back a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't have minded not spending, but I do derive some peace of mind knowing Ralph brought it back to life and has it operating back to spec and performed some updates.  I can keep it or re-sell it without having to worry this way.

That sounds like a bargain.  Not a bad deal at all IMO.

Kudos to Ralph and crew!   :thumb:  I love happy endings.   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #41 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:11 am »
Between the repair and shipping it set me back a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't have minded not spending, but I do derive some peace of mind knowing Ralph brought it back to life and has it operating back to spec and performed some updates.  I can keep it or re-sell it without having to worry this way.

Yeah, shipping is a real pain nowadays. Too back there wasn't somewhere locally that could have done those resistor repairs for ya but if you plan on keeping it, you'll probably be happy that you had the "Pro from Dover" do his magic. Hope that S-30's finally got you to your happy place Fred.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 06:14 am by satfrat »

Gopher

« Reply #42 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:12 am »
The cost was reasonable and I am satisfied with the service I received.  I must say though, I generally prefer to pass the 1 month ownership mark before  a repair bill, but it was a fluke and with the updates it wont happen again.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:14 am »
The cost was reasonable and I am satisfied with the service I received.  I must say though, I generally prefer to pass the 1 month ownership mark before  a repair bill, but it was a fluke and with the updates it wont happen again.

No doubt.  The fun of hi end audio. 

Gopher

« Reply #44 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:37 am »
This thing is friggin' revealing!  Almost too much so of digital, but its exploiting my analog rig's capability.  Interesting stuff...

Thanks, Robin.  Honestly, I haven't been unhappy with my sound in a long time.  Curiosity and OCD keep me experimenting, but in the grand scheme of things I haven't had sound I don't enjoy in my living room for a while. 

My wife is too good to put up with this craziness.  Sitting in front of me now are 2 845 monos, 2 aleph mono clones and an S-30... 

Gopher

« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec 2010, 03:52 am »
it may be less difficult to pick a favorite than first listen suggested.  I prefer the romance of my SETs, even at the expense of the incredible coherence and transparency, though I really do prefer the S-30s BASS!

Gopher

« Reply #46 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:16 am »
I stand by my choice regarding keeping the 845 monos--I'd better as the S-30 is being picked up on Monday, but this amp really is remarkable in many ways.  I've been listening to it all weekend and I like it better with a quad of ratheons in V1 & V2 and pair of stock Sovs in V3/driver position than I do with Black Treasures in any position.

Really special liquidity and drive and the transparency is unreal--I can hear so much farther into the music and the bass this makes with Zu speakers is fantastic.  It is still more on the analytical side than my SETs and I think my preferences in general lie, but it is special in its own right and I think I'll actually miss it...  heh, kind of funny.  At the end I was flat out angry at it for breaking on me.

Gopher

« Reply #47 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:45 am »

Welp, it looks like my peace of mind may be very short lived.  I sold the amp locally and after a week of enjoyment it appears to have once again crapped out on its new owner in a similar fashion to what happened to me.  Hopefully the company wil make as this was just repaired less then a month ago, but I feel bad for my buyer...

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:56 am »
Welp, it looks like my peace of mind may be very short lived.  I sold the amp locally and after a week of enjoyment it appears to have once again crapped out on its new owner in a similar fashion to what happened to me.  Hopefully the company wil make as this was just repaired less then a month ago, but I feel bad for my buyer...

So offer to refund the man's money as it was a known problem to you (and us) that obviously didn't get fixed correctly. It's the right thing to do,,,, imho anyways.

Cheers,
Robin

Berto

« Reply #49 on: 27 Dec 2010, 03:22 am »

So offer to refund the man's money as it was a known problem to you (and us) that obviously didn't get fixed correctly. It's the right thing to do,,,, imho anyways.

Cheers,
Robin

Thats a lame opinion IMO. :o Gopher is not a atma dealer nor is he a tech or a warranty/gurantee agency of any sort. :nono:

I think Atma will back up the work. :thumb: Gopher paid to have it fixed and there was no known problems when it came back working perfectly. Gopher therefore should not have to refund his money, unless he personally guaranteed the shops work (highly unlikely) Makin  a courtesy call to help the new buyer get them fixed once and for all with as lil money as possible, would be nice of course.

Berto

« Reply #50 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:40 am »
And I think you have a lame opinion that's it's OK to pass the buck on suspect goods  :nono:  which is actually good to know for anyone who might consider doing any transactions with you in the future.  :roll: (that's for ole Berto here,,, not you personally Fred)

Thanks for the heads up on that.  :thumb:  And sorry to hear about the demize of your g-punks,,,, NOT!  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Your acussing  Gopher of something he did not intend to do :nono:, your advice and assumption he tried to pass the buck (as you say) is untrue.  My transaction history on Agon under Berony, its PERFECT! :thumb:

Also, no need to be sore b/c we knocked out your QB and your team sucked all year :lol:, as least G-Men had a chance.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:43 am »
Your acussing  Gopher of something he did not intend to do :nono: , your advice and assumption he tried to pass the buck (as you say) is untrue.  My transaction history on Agon under Berony, its PERFECT! :thumb:

Also, no need to be sore b/c we knocked out your QB and your team sucked all year :lol: , as least G-Men had a chance.

You are really something else Berto!  :roll:

Berto

« Reply #52 on: 27 Dec 2010, 05:04 am »

You are really something else Berto!  :roll:

I agree w/ that 8)

No hard feelings, but I don't think (even you) Robin think that Fred tried to mislead the buyer. This is just a victim of circumstance situation which Im sure will be corrected to the satisfaction of the parties involved.  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 27 Dec 2010, 05:34 am »
Ah-Ha! It is me, the buyer of the S-30. I just want to say that between my interactions with both Gopher and Atmas-sphere, I have NO WORRIES that this wil turn out OK. Everyone involved is good people and great to deal with. No need to sling anything negative. From my experince, I am happy that I will be dealing with such high quality folks as we figure this out.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #54 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:35 pm »
Ah-Ha! It is me, the buyer of the S-30. I just want to say that between my interactions with both Gopher and Atmas-sphere, I have NO WORRIES that this wil turn out OK. Everyone involved is good people and great to deal with. No need to sling anything negative. From my experince, I am happy that I will be dealing with such high quality folks as we figure this out.

Hang in there...you will be rewarded with a great sounding amp once things are figured out.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:39 pm »
I'll be curious to hear what Atma-Sphere says may be the issue now.  I have no doubt that they will get it fixed.

Gopher

« Reply #56 on: 27 Dec 2010, 03:22 pm »
Thanks for the confidence, Roscoe.  I suspect dealing with this will be more of a PITA than a  financial burden as I'm sure A-S will stand behind their work.

Robin, 

I dont think "passing the buck on suspect goods" describes this scenario...  I paid for the creator to give it a thorough once over and bring it up to spec when numerous friends and members of this board offered to fix it free.  Its a nuisance, but in no way malicous.  It worked when it arrived to me and crapped out week two--not fun, but I didn't blame my seller...  Just one of those things, imo.  But I plan to do what I can to help out just the same.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #57 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:10 pm »
Thanks for the confidence, Roscoe.  I suspect dealing with this will be more of a PITA than a  financial burden as I'm sure A-S will stand behind their work.

Robin, 

I dont think "passing the buck on suspect goods" describes this scenario...  I paid for the creator to give it a thorough once over and bring it up to spec when numerous friends and members of this board offered to fix it free.  Its a nuisance, but in no way malicous.  It worked when it arrived to me and crapped out week two--not fun, but I didn't blame my seller...  Just one of those things, imo.  But I plan to do what I can to help out just the same.

I couldn't agree more Fred and my 1st post reflected that my only intent was to suggest a possible refund offer might be a possibility. My other posts after that were wrapped up into Berto's BS accusations and not towards you or the situation. As I stated in my last post, I regret being enticed into replying to Berto's BS and my comments were directed towards his BS and not you directly Fred.  :oops:

Cheers,
Robin

hmen

« Reply #58 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:36 pm »
From my experience I can tell you that Atma-Sphere will definitely stand behind their work and resolve this to the consumer's satisfaction.

Gopher

« Reply #59 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:59 pm »
From my experience I can tell you that Atma-Sphere will definitely stand behind their work and resolve this to the consumer's satisfaction.

I expect the same.  I made a handful of calls over there and they are really nice people.