Another incredible sub-woofer deal!

dmatt

Re: Another incredible sub-woofer deal!
« Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:59 pm »
This looks like it could be just the thing for my in-ceiling bathroom sub-woofer.  :o

Danny are you sold out?

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:20 pm »
I am sold out of the blems that went for $59, but I have plenty of the perfect ones in stock for only $79.  :thumb:

Rightbrained

« Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:23 pm »
Twist my arm and I might buy a pair of those. Lol

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:32 pm »
I got some more cosmetically damaged ones on the last shipment. I will be checking each one before it ships to make sure that it is fine. $59 each plus shipping sure is great deal for these subs. Get them while you can.

mojave

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:11 pm »
Four more of these just arrived. I now have 8 drivers total. I plan to build an infinite baffle system with 4 drivers for each manifold. I have a crawlspace below the living room, but I'm having trouble convincing the wife to let me cut holes in the floor (and start yet another project).  :cry: Eight of these drivers should be able to produce 119 dB at 20 Hz! I model it to 107 dB at 10 Hz, but with room gain they should be flat down to 5 hz. These drivers are so efficient that at modest listening levels, they will hardly be moving.

LS-6's including cabinets, No Rez, upgraded crossover:  $2400
Infinite Baffle system including amp:  $1000
Ability to play from 5 Hz and up at 120 dB:  Priceless  :o

jparkhur

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:32 pm »
mojave:   What source component or cd/dvd will even have content that low????  I am interested?  I am a true believer that freq outside the realm of the human hearing interrelate to other audible frequencies. 

HT cOz

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:41 pm »
Four more of these just arrived. I now have 8 drivers total. I plan to build an infinite baffle system with 4 drivers for each manifold. I have a crawlspace below the living room, but I'm having trouble convincing the wife to let me cut holes in the floor (and start yet another project).  :cry: Eight of these drivers should be able to produce 119 dB at 20 Hz! I model it to 107 dB at 10 Hz, but with room gain they should be flat down to 5 hz. These drivers are so efficient that at modest listening levels, they will hardly be moving.

I've been thinking about an infinite baffle setup as well but have the following concerns:

The attic space is either hot or cold and the living space is the opposite.
When warm meets cold with no insulation condensation will occur. 
If one is to really do this properly they should build a box in the attic space and insulate the outside to be able to break the barrier between hot/cold
This seems like a real pain to pull off.

Kind Regards,

Robert

mojave

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:51 pm »
There are four things required to go that low:  source component, amplifier, subwoofer, and content. I have an Asus Essense ST soundcard with H6 daughtercard for 7.1. It was measured by Stereophile as flat to 10 Hz, but they didn't measure lower than that. I should use Room EQ Wizard (REW) and measure it. I don't have a subwoofer amplifier yet, but plan to get one flat to 5 Hz. A sealed subwoofer (an infinite baffle is essentially a large sealed sub) can get down to the single digits with enough drivers and power. There is a current thread at AVSForum called Top 5Hz-15Hz Bluray movies. The number keeps growing on movies with low content. The Dolby spec calls for 3 Hz-20 kHz. Pearl Harbor has 3 Hz content measured in it.

Those that can playback such low content can high pass it at 15-20 Hz and compare. Although the low frequencies aren't audible, they say that there is a definite difference with regard to the pressure you feel.

mojave

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jan 2011, 08:00 pm »
Quote from: HT cOz
I've been thinking about an infinite baffle setup as well but have the following concerns:

Have you read through the faq at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled? There are many builds at their forum that are in the attic.

13) Won't the heat of an attic/humidity of a crawl space harm the driver?

If a driver is suitable for use in a car environment, it is usually acceptable for use in an attic. Many drivers designed for home use, are approved for car use by their manufacturers. Check with the manufacturer to be sure.

HT cOz

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:44 pm »
Have you read through the faq at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled? There are many builds at their forum that are in the attic.

To give you an idea look at this

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-012-moisture-control-for-new-residential-buildings/files/bsd-012_moisture_control_new_bldgs.pdf

Now think about the cold attic seperated from your warm space with just the paper of your driver... Not a good idea

Yes I've been over there and read up on it and it sounds awesome.  However, just because a bunch of people have cut holes in their ceiling doesn't mean its a good idea.  It may sound incredable BUT....

wormraper

« Reply #50 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:36 am »
I snagged two of them from Danny to create a couple of THT's :D... these things will be beasts

MichiganMan

« Reply #51 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:56 pm »
This may be a dumb question (it is!) but how do you order one of these subs.  I tried looking on GR Research website (www.gr-research.com) but did not see it under the Drivers tab.  Am I looking in the wrong place? 

This deal may have just tipped the scales in favor of the THT over a ported box using a Titanic 400....

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:56 pm »
Here ya go! :D

Yes, call to order: 940-592-3400.

MichiganMan

« Reply #53 on: 15 Feb 2011, 01:37 pm »
Doh!  Thanks much!  Now to look at the space and decide THT or a ported built around an IXL 18.2.2....  decisions decisions....

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:04 pm »
Welcome to AC Michiganman.

MichiganMan

« Reply #55 on: 17 Feb 2011, 05:34 pm »
Welcome to AC Michiganman.

Thank you sir.  I'm 95% sure I'm going with a THT built around this driver - I've read enough good things that I'd be forever second guessing myself if I don't, especially for ~$200 in materials....

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:40 pm »
I found one more of these with cosmetic damage on the cork edge trim of the frame. First $59 takes it.

Patrick Bateman

« Reply #57 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:21 am »

Let's say you have two fifteens.  One is a prosound model with an efficiency of 100dB.  The other is a car audio woofer with an efficiency of 80dB.  Which will move further to produce 100dB at 20hz?

The answer is that they'll both move the exact same distance.  The efficiency advantage of the prosound woofer will not make a difference.

mojave

« Reply #58 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:02 pm »
The answer is that they'll both move the exact same distance.  The efficiency advantage of the prosound woofer will not make a difference.
I can agree with that statement. I was actually pointing out that having eight drivers makes for little cone movement compared to one driver rather than comparing the efficiency of the driver to another driver. Every doubling of drivers increases the efficiency by 3 dB. Another way of looking at is every doubling of drivers cuts excursion in half to reach the same SPL.

dbshelton

« Reply #59 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:14 pm »
Can these be ordered on weekends?