Another incredible sub-woofer deal!

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Another incredible sub-woofer deal!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2010, 11:58 pm »
The size isn't too much of an issue.  I'm going to get one of these...
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2010, 01:36 am by django11 »

Rightbrained

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:20 pm »
Danny,
 Would I need to call to oder these? I may have missed it but didn't see a link on the website.
I will take a pair.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:47 pm »
Yes, call to order: 940-592-3400.

Zerogravity

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:51 pm »
Stupid question! How much would placing a sealed subwoofer in a cabinet with the door open, hinder performance? Just curious due to placement limitations. Thanks

Rightbrained

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:00 pm »
You will probably not get the benefit of room gain you would have with a properly positioned sub but the performance shouldn't suffer.
Open the door and fire the woofer out into the room. Much better than no sub at all.

Zerogravity

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:03 pm »
Thanks, thats what I figured that as long as it was sealed, it wouldn't radiate around the sides as much!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:36 pm »
If you build a sealed box then our SA-1 amp will be great.

If I go the sealed box route is bigger better?  Or is there an optimum size?  If so what would that be?  I'm going to try it open baffle but I really feel this will end up in a sealed sand box. 

Could it be down firing? 

Sorry for the newb questions...

Rightbrained

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:44 pm »
There is certainly an optimum size enclosure. I am at work right now but can model it tonight if Danny doesn't post his recommendations.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:41 pm »
There is certainly an optimum size enclosure. I am at work right now but can model it tonight if Danny doesn't post his recommendations.

3 cubic foot sealed looks great.

I still have quite a few of these left.

Rightbrained

« Reply #29 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:55 pm »
Danny,
 I will be calling you later today to get a couple.
Trying to decide if I need x-statik kits too.
I have a build going right now and don't need more speakers but I do want to try an ob type speaker.

nottaway

« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm »
I got a couple of these planning on doing a mfw clone since I have one to get dimensions off. 

Danny,

3ft sealed looks good, how about ported?  I have an old mfw amp I'm using so rolloff is not a problem.........

Rightbrained

« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:20 pm »
This woofer wants a big enclosure to go ported .
 If you build a 12 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 15 hz  with a 6 inch port 23.44 long you will get reference levels in room down to 13.29 hz with only 225 watts. You will need a high pass ( sub-sonic filter) to protect the driver from over excursion. I would set the high pass right around the tuning frequency or maybe a little lower.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm »
 If you build a 12 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 15 hz  with a 6 inch port 23.44 long you will get reference levels in room down to 13.29 hz with only 225 watts. You will need a high pass ( sub-sonic filter) to protect the driver from over excursion. I would set the high pass right around the tuning frequency or maybe a little lower.

Thanks but I am going sealed. :nono:

nottaway

« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:03 pm »

I'm using the original mfw amp so I assume it has a high pass built in....  Hmm I'm going to try to get dimensions this weekend might get some of you more estute guys to model it for me.  I will say the mfw is obviously smaller than 12cf........

Should be pretty easy to clone measure port dim. And length and get box dimensions right anything I'm missing?

Rightbrained

« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:12 pm »
Yeah, no problem cloning the original. I was just modeling for a lower tune.

jwalker

« Reply #35 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:20 pm »
The Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT horn-subwoofer builders are starting to take notice of this driver. Turns out the specifications are pretty good for that application.  And they cost about half as much than the Dayton Reference Series 15 inchers which is the standard recommendation.

Danny might start seeing a run on these subs.

Rightbrained

« Reply #36 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:24 pm »
This driver is a very close cousin to the eminence made dayton dvc that was recommended for the tht. That driver is nla so this one is an economical replacement.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm by Rightbrained »

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:14 pm »
I only have two of these blems left at $59 each.

Rightbrained

« Reply #38 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:35 am »
My pair came today . I measured the T/S parameters and they are very close to the advertised specs.
 Great deal. Thanks Danny.

nottaway

« Reply #39 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:22 am »
Mine came today just as described.

Thanks Danny the descriptions were right on!