Another incredible sub-woofer deal!

Danny Richie

Another incredible sub-woofer deal!
« on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:10 pm »
I just got in several pallet loads of the MFW-15s from Cali, and some of the boxes that were on the bottom of the pallet got a little crushed. It caused some cosmetic damage to the cork (or paper) surround on the outside of the frames. A few of the foam surrounds on the cone made surface contact with the box and pressed the woofer in a little. I have tested a few of them and they appear to be okay. Playing them for a little bit seemed to return them to center or at least close enough to have to effect on the woofer.

So I am going to blow out these 15 woofers with cosmetic damaged for only $59 each. So if you want one, you better act quickly.

Guy 13

Re: Another incredible sub-woofer deal!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:28 pm »
Hi Danny,
how about some technical specs on those woofers ?
Guy 13

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:32 pm »
Danny,

They look like Eminence woofers - is that right?

Specs would indeed be nice, perhaps you linked it somewhere else on your forum.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:38 pm »
Danny,

Specs would indeed be nice
Anand.

$59  Isn't that enough?   :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:46 pm »
Hi all.
if Danny sell those woofers 59 USD, it because he paid for them 58 USD !
Is that correct Danny ?
Guy 13
Note :
For those who still don't know or don't appreciate my sense of humor, this is supposed to be a joke !

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:49 pm »
Hi all.
if Danny sell those woofers 59 USD, it because he paid for them 58 USD !
Is that correct Danny ?
Guy 13

:o  I sure hope not!  That would be really poor business IMO.  He'll spend more than $1 answering questions (not including these posts).   :D

DFaulds

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2010, 04:22 pm »
From another thread.

Re                        3.04        Ohms               fs                           15.0        Hz
Le                        2.07        mH                   Mms                      235.2        grams
QM                       6.62                                Mmd                      221.6        grams
QE                        0.34                               Cms                       0.476        mm/N
QT                        0.32                                Rms                      3.356        N*sec/m
Xmax                  13.02        mm                  Vas                       458.9        liters
Pmax                   225        Watts                 SD                         823.7        cm^2
Bl                        14.08        Tm                  VD                        1072.3        cm^3
Coil Diameter       2.50        Inches               EBP                         44.1       
Gap Height           0.375        Inches             Magnet Weight        112        ounces
Efficiency             0.44        %                     Winding Width       1.400        inches
SPL                     88.5        dB 1W-1m

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm »
When Santiago purchased several hundred at a time from Eminence then the price gets right on down to the $59 a piece range.

Obviously no one is making any money one these especially after shipping, but there is no sense in throwing out a good working woofer for a little cosmetic damage.

Besides the money made on these will get returned back to Santiago.

sch

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »
Thanks Danny and thanks to all the audio community for the support!!!  :thumb:
Santiago and family

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:10 pm »
Looks like a perfect driver for PPSL (push-pull slot loaded) configuration.  Cheap enough to boot!

edit: Box looks to be a bit big from back of the envelope calcs, but still reasonable. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:30 pm »
Looks like a perfect driver for PPSL (push-pull slot loaded) configuration.  Cheap enough to boot!

edit: Box looks to be a bit big from back of the envelope calcs, but still reasonable.

Yes, the Vas is 460L but great idea, and a nice inexpensive price. It would make a terrific computer sub...hmmmm.... :scratch: Maybe an isobarik?

Anand.

kp93300

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:58 am »
Hi
Is this the subwoofer used in the V2?
regards
kp93300

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:23 am »
Hi
Is this the subwoofer used in the V2?
regards
kp93300

No.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:44 am »
It did say "Fragile" on the box  :duh:.  I'm cheap but clueless:  what kind of an amp would I need with this?  Could I diy something with similar output to the MFW?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:56 am »
It did say "Fragile" on the box  :duh:.  I'm cheap but clueless:  what kind of an amp would I need with this?  Could I diy something with similar output to the MFW?

The Pe for both Danny's other sale and this driver are nearly the same so an SA-1 should do just fine.

If you wanted an easy build, this MFW driver in a stuffed minimum of a 3 cubic foot enclosure would give you an F3 of 33 Hz in full space which when placed in the corner of a room should reach into the mid 20's. It would have a Qtc of about 0.8 which is decent for music and movies. For $59 there is little to complain about. It reminds of the old NHT1259 actually, which was only a 12 inch woofer but this one is 15 inches. Combine it with the SA-1, which has a special gain circuit to mirror image a sealed box response in the low end, and a 20Hz high pass filter so the driver doesn't get overdriven by ultra-low frequencies (which may be inconsequential in a sealed enclosure anyway). A 20 inch cube (assuming 3/4 inch MDF) will give you 3.6 cubic feet, then take some out for braces and the driver itself and you are left with about 3 cubic feet.

If however, you wanted to build a design like AV123's subs you would have to go ported.

Anand.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:06 pm »
I don't really know enough about this to make a quick decision.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2010, 02:34 pm »
I don't really know enough about this to make a quick decision.

If you build a sealed box then our SA-1 amp will be great.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:13 pm »
If you build a sealed box then our SA-1 amp will be great.
Output wise what would it compare to?  Nothing of the specs and charts mean a thing to me.  I would like to keep away from the perpetual upgrade thing.  I'm not a bass head by any means but I wouldn't mind a visceral sub for the occasional movie and a nice musical sub for music.  I currently have an x-sub and it is just ok...

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm »
Output wise what would it compare to?  Nothing of the specs and charts mean a thing to me.  I would like to keep away from the perpetual upgrade thing.  I'm not a bass head by any means but I wouldn't mind a visceral sub for the occasional movie and a nice musical sub for music.  I currently have an x-sub and it is just ok...

Well, lets compare it to what you have. You have 150 watts of power on an 8" woofer in a ported box that will -3db about 28Hz.

The MFW-15 in a sealed box with the SA-1 amp gives you a lot more sweep area (15" woofer) as it is bigger and has more X-Max. The SA-1 amp is also 200 watts. The transform circuit will give you a -3db in the low 20's with that woofer. And the sensitivity of the MFW-15 (88db) is MUCH higher then the 83db sensitivity of the X-sub.

So you get more extension (plays lower) and it will play at least three times as loud.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2010, 11:54 pm »
Well, lets compare it to what you have. You have 150 watts of power on an 8" woofer in a ported box that will -3db about 28Hz.

The MFW-15 in a sealed box with the SA-1 amp gives you a lot more sweep area (15" woofer) as it is bigger and has more X-Max. The SA-1 amp is also 200 watts. The transform circuit will give you a -3db in the low 20's with that woofer. And the sensitivity of the MFW-15 (88db) is MUCH higher then the 83db sensitivity of the X-sub.

So you get more extension (plays lower) and it will play at least three times as loud.

I agree with Danny. In this application and in comparison it will knock the socks off of an X-sub. But, the MFW-15 in a sealed enclosure will take up more space. You can't cheat physics. It's like what I said in my previous post.

Anand.