Tone arm scale

Photon46

Re: Tone arm scale
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2011, 10:50 am »
I just purchased this scale and I think I got a dud. I'm hoping the batteries are bad but I don't think that's the case.  The readings fluctuate all over the place and calibration does nothing.  At least it was only $13.

I ordered the same scale and mine also has problems. The battery compartment is poorly constructed to say the least. I found that after carefully bending the retaining tines of the battery holder to the right shape and then taping the batteries in place with a strip of 3M packing tape instead of using the ill fitting battery cover, I get a consistent electrical signal and it works accurately. From what I see on other web sites  and retailers, this scale shares most of the same parts as those retailing for $100.00. After using a digital scale, I can't imagine farting around with an analog scale anymore. I may have to spring for a better built digital scale now.

orthobiz

« Reply #21 on: 8 May 2011, 11:15 am »
In this digital world where letters and numbers can be put into the LED for pennies, I can envision a scale that goes out to three digits on its readout but doesn't necessarily have the accuracy to within one or two thousandths...

Paul

andyr

« Reply #22 on: 8 May 2011, 11:22 am »
In this digital world where letters and numbers can be put into the LED for pennies, I can envision a scale that goes out to three digits on its readout but doesn't necessarily have the accuracy to within one or two thousandths...

Paul

That's true, Paul ... and I've just looked at mine and in fact it shows 3dps (whereas the OP's only showed 2 dps) ... so I would think mine is accurate to 2dp - which is all that you need.  :)

Regards,

Andy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 8 May 2011, 11:58 am »
I just purchased this scale and I think I got a dud. I'm hoping the batteries are bad but I don't think that's the case.  The readings fluctuate all over the place and calibration does nothing.  At least it was only $13.

I've found that digital scales in general don't work well on unstable surfaces.  If your platter is lightly sprung and can move around alot you have to be extra careful not to shake it when turning it on/off and calibrating.  Might be the problem with yours.

andyr

« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2011, 12:08 pm »

I've found that digital scales in general don't work well on unstable surfaces.

Very true.

If your platter is lightly sprung and can move around a lot, you have to be extra careful not to shake it when turning it on/off and calibrating.  Might be the problem with yours.

You shouldn't be resting the digital scale (or any scale, for that matter - including the exacrable Shure balance scale) on the platter ... as the stylus should be resting on the guage at the same height it is when it's playing an LP, to get the correct reading.

So you should have the scale resting on (for example) a wood block which is sitting on the plinth, so that the pad on the scale (which the stylus rests on) is at exactly the same level as the top of an LP on the platter.

Regards,

Andy

chester_audio

« Reply #25 on: 8 May 2011, 12:55 pm »
Or, bend some aluminum or copper sheeting into a step shape that you can use to hang off the scale and measure at the record height. Another benefit of this is that you can make this heavy enough to get the measurements into the midrange of the scale where it is more accurate. I cal, set this gizmo on the scale, tare it, and then check with a 1 gram weight. This works well for me and I usually fine tune by ear afterward.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 8 May 2011, 02:11 pm »
You shouldn't be resting the digital scale (or any scale, for that matter - including the exacrable Shure balance scale) on the platter ... as the stylus should be resting on the guage at the same height it is when it's playing an LP, to get the correct reading.

So you should have the scale resting on (for example) a wood block which is sitting on the plinth, so that the pad on the scale (which the stylus rests on) is at exactly the same level as the top of an LP on the platter.

This particular model is designed to rest on the platter.  The pad you put the stylus on when measuring is just slightly thicker than a record so it's close enough for an accurate reading.  The OP might try measuring using the wood block described above if he is using a bouncy turntable.

As a side note, I once was doing some weighing for work on the 30th floor of a high-rise hotel and my digital scale would not even turn on due to the vibrations on that floor    :o

johsti

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2011, 09:53 pm »
Mine looks identical to that (I believe the original Chinese mfr is "Canrong") and has worked flawlessly, since I bought it 3-4 years ago.  Try a new battery.  :)

Regards,

Andy

Out another $5 bucks on batteries and the problem still persists.  I also can't get through to DealExtreme for an RMA.  Apparently their online customer service is down after I went through their process of posting pictures and a description of the problem. 

Glad it worked out for some of you, but I won't be buying anything else from this company.  Buyer beware and good luck returning anything if it's defective.  Then again it was only $15  :|

johsti

« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2011, 09:59 pm »
I've found that digital scales in general don't work well on unstable surfaces.  If your platter is lightly sprung and can move around alot you have to be extra careful not to shake it when turning it on/off and calibrating.  Might be the problem with yours.

Not the case.  I had the scale on a butcher block island and it determined the 5 gram calibration weight was anywhere between - 2.48 and 5.04 grams.  How can a calibration weight give a negative reading???  The numbers increased and decreased non stop and never gave a stable reading.  Even with nothing on the scale the numbers would rise and fall all over the place.  I never even had a chance to try and use it on my turntable platter.  I tried to calibrate, but the results were the same.  I got a lemon.

Wayner

« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2011, 10:22 pm »
These scales use a device called a "load cell" if you even touch it beyond it's range, you have damaged it. Not to say that they don't have defects, I would suggest that you pursue a return or exchange. It may take some time for things to happen.

Wayner  8)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2011, 02:07 am »
I never understood this obsession with 3 decimal point accuracy. Don't you set VTF where it tracks and sounds best?

Is this for repeatability, if suddenly you can no longer hear?  :wink:

neo

Wayner

« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2011, 02:34 am »
It's a repeatable reference number. If it doesn't track right, you have a reference point to move from (that is accurate) opposed to a manual scale, that has repeat errors.

Wayner  8)