Remote RCA Switch for Subwoofer?

mturkel99

Remote RCA Switch for Subwoofer?
« on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:32 pm »
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out a way to use my Infinity Cascade Twelve with my Sensation and my 5.1 HT setup. I am using an Audio Refinement Pre-5 (6 channel analog preamp) to control three amps, incl the Sensation for 5.1. For stereo, only the Sensation is in use. If I only use the sub out on the Sensation I won't get LFE from my HT. But if I only use the LFE then I won't be able to use the sub in my stereo setup. I suppose a switcher is in order here, but can you guys recommend one that won't hurt my setup and which is remote controllable?

Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2010, 11:51 pm by mturkel99 »

mturkel99

Re: Remote RCA Switch for Subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2010, 07:46 pm »
So I was thinking about it, and was wondering if it wouldn't just make more sense for me to forget about the LFE out altogether. Configuring my L/R speakers as "large," setting the 80hz filter in the Sensation, and setting the crossover on my Model Twelve accordingly would basically land me in the same situation, right? Would I be losing anything with this setup?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2010, 08:24 pm »
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=267&CategoryID=28

Can't comment on the quality of the pot; but, I have use one for car audio subwoofer control.

mturkel99

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2010, 04:50 am »
Thanks, mixfix, but that unit seems to be a volume control. I'm looking for a selector switch.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:26 am »
I mis-read it; I though you wanted volume control.

dvenardos

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:37 am »
That should work. You could plug the LFE out from your receiver to the left or right input of your subwoofer and then the output from the sensation would go to the other input on the sub.
I suspect that the reason you haven't gotten any other responses is because of your request for the switch to be controlled via remote. I don't know of anything that does that. If you could live with a manual switch then it would be simple.

So I was thinking about it, and was wondering if it wouldn't just make more sense for me to forget about the LFE out altogether. Configuring my L/R speakers as "large," setting the 80hz filter in the Sensation, and setting the crossover on my Model Twelve accordingly would basically land me in the same situation, right? Would I be losing anything with this setup?

mturkel99

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:20 am »
Thanks,

Would your solution work, though? If I plug the Sensation sub out into the right and the LFE into the left wouldn't the subwoofer sum the two? Or would it only use the left with the LFE toggle selected?

Also, a remote selector does exist, http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH915-Source-Selector-Switch/dp/B00008X5DF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289197043&sr=8-1

I was just wondering if it was a piece of crap or not...

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2010, 07:47 am »
Yes, it would sum the two channels, but since you are sending a full range signal to the speakers and then filtering it out using the 80hz crossover on the sensation you would get that signal to the subwoofer plus the LFE channel.

Sorry, I meant that I didn't know of any audiophile quality switches with a remote.