Recommendations for Mahler's 5th?

Ericus Rex

Re: Recommendations for Mahler's 5th?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm »
The BPO is fairly new; founded in 1979 I believe.  Zander is the music director of the BPO.  The BSO has been around much longer.  It floundered quite a bit under Ozawa but my understanding is that Levine is now whipping them back into shape.

canzld

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:10 pm »

Timings of the Adagiettos are:
...Bernstein 11:13
...Haenchen 8:54
...Inoue 11:36
...Litton 9:57
...Shipway 12:25
...TT 10:49

Finally, how can I judge the whole symphony on one of five movements?  Easy–the Adagietto is the heart of this work for me.

mostly way too slow if you consider the couple of timings of Mahler's own versions came in at 7-9 min.

I've never understood the fascination with the Adagietto - it is pretty, yes, but I've always found the Scherzo much more interesting and difficult to pull off from an interpretive of view - a sort of neurotic lurching between a naive like joy and chaos...no, not chaos - hard edged reality perhaps.

on a related note, this is quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYWRiTgOKM&feature=related

a piano role from 1905 of Mahler playing the opening of the 5th (there are 2 parts)

Randy

« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:08 pm »
A great performance with very good sound.  This is a DVD.

tonyptony

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:08 am »
Went to the Symphony today, Haydn's 100th and Mahler's 5th.

The Haydn was good, but Mahler blew me away.

So, what are people's favorite recordings of the 5th?

I can't believe I missed this thread! I also heard this (but on Sunday); where did you sit?

I agree with Canzld about the Barbirolli - it's one of my favorite. I'm also partial to the Zander. And, while some may have their opinions about Eschenbach, I think his performance with Philly (available on SACD) was very nice. I was at that one, too! IMO Nézet-Séguin's treatment was excellent, but I thought Eschenbach's was just a bit more emotional. Having said that, the brass section was much more coherent under Nézet-Séguin.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2010, 02:25 am »
Have received Zander's 5th and 3rd.

Zander's Adagietto takes only 8:33, so canzld probably will like this.  Zander's 5th and 3rd are not played nearly as strongly as I like my Mahler, so these TELARC hybrid SACDs are surplus.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:47 pm »
My neighbor, a classical music fanatic, introduced me to Mahler's 5th and 8th over the holidays.  Currently listening to the 5th by Antoni Wit and the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.  Very nice.