Cheap CD transport for DAC

yeldarb

Cheap CD transport for DAC
« on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:54 pm »
For some years time, I've used a NEC stand alone CDROM drive to feed signal to my ACK! dac.  This was the unit with shuttered disc carrier cartridges and the combination looked damned odd but sounded fabulous.  Well, late Saturday nite, it stopped.  I had a backup drive to use with the power supply but no luck.  I have to assume that the power supply has died.  I now am using an old Toshiba DVD to feed my dac, but the DVD drive seems pretty flimsy and I don't know how long it will last.

Anybody have any Cheap and Cheerful recommendations for a transport, free standing or DVD or CD?

Rclark

Re: Cheap CD transport for DAC
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:14 pm »
another external cd drive?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:47 pm »

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:13 am »

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/SHERWOOD-AMERICA-CDC-690-/58-14475
# 1 Bit (Twin) Digital Audio Converter
# Bitstream Design
# 8x Oversampling Digital Filter

I had a Philips Bitstream changer some years back, it had a sweet sound. You may not even need a DAC.

yeldarb

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:03 pm »
I just ordered one for a friend and had one in the cart for myself.  I couldn't tell from description or manual whether digital out was S/pdif.  There is optical but that won't work for me.  Anybody know if the Newcastle's Digilink is usable for dac?

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:22 pm »
I just ordered one for a friend and had one in the cart for myself.  I couldn't tell from description or manual whether digital out was S/pdif.  There is optical but that won't work for me.  Anybody know if the Newcastle's Digilink is usable for dac?

It says Coax digital out right! That's will work with 99.999% DACs out there.
DigiLink :scratch: probably useless.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:15 pm »
Well that add is a bit confusing. In the blurb next to the picture it says "player with optical digital output", but if you read the spec listing down below it says "Coaxial Digital Output". I took a quick look at the mfr. web site and it states "Coaxial Digital Output" so I think the optical output is a mistake. the "Digi-Link III" is used to connect this player to other Sherwood-Newcastle equipment for ease of use and coordinating functionality.

yeldarb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:10 pm »
According to manual on Sherwood's site, the digital out is optical.  There are two "Digilink" outs but no coaxial digital in evidence.  Oh, well...

Does look like a decent unit if that's what you're looking for.  I'll see my friend's tomorrow.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:51 pm »
According to manual on Sherwood's site, the digital out is optical.  There are two "Digilink" outs but no coaxial digital in evidence.  Oh, well...

That's pretty funny/sad, because it clearly states "Coaxial Digital Output" on the product page of the manufacturer's web site... Talk about inconsistency.

tvyankee

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:13 pm »
hello,

i have a old marantz cd67se that has been modded that has like no hours on it that i would let go for $125.00 if your into it. its been in the closet for years and it still has all the original papers boxes. also have a modded sqbox-2 with a spdif out. with the upgraded elpac power supply.

let me know.

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
Looks like optical output only, no coax.

flintstone

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:03 pm »
Pioneer 563A makes a nice transport. I have a dedicated transport (although I don't use it much...I use my computer now).......but the Pioneer sounds nearly as good as my Kinergetics transport.

Around $75-$100 on ebay.

Dave

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:41 pm »
I have done some A/B-ing between optical and coax and I found that the differences between the two were not as great as some would have you believe.  You can still get very good sound out of optical.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm »
As the OP said that Optical wouldn't work for him, I assumed that his DAC was not equipped to handle it...

yeldarb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:54 pm »
Ack! D'ack!  In fack! a new Ack! 2.0 Ultra, for which I traded in my old Ack! v.1.3,  and it doesn't do optical.  Right now I've got the NEC Multispin back up and running.  And it sounds tremendous!  And still to get better with a bit of use.  So the transport need, right now, is not as critical as I thought.  And still pretty cheap and dang cheerful.  Thanks for the suggestions.

And I saw the Newcastle last nite.  No coax digital out.  But if you need a spinner....

raindance

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
Used Denon DVD players are great. Or a cheap B-stock NAD DVD player.

BLWTX

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:52 pm »
I am using this Marantz DVD player as a CD Transport and DVD player. Works good for me. Worth considerring.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARDV3002/Marantz/Dv3002-Dvd-Player-With-Hdmi-Upconversion/1.html