Purchased 550ex..You know the rusty screw model! LOL.

WarOfTheTrees

Thought i would drop a note and let everyone know what happened to the unit that had the rusty screws.  I happened across that thread when i was trying to decide on what i was going to do for an amp. 

I never had a chance to hear any Van alstine stuff before, and i kinda had to take a plunge to see if would like this amp.  I'm using a conrad johnson pv7 that i had rebuilt by Bill thalmann, and a cary 303/100 cd player right now.  My speakers are Dali grand coupe stand mounted 2 ways.

This setup sounds silky and clear, and that was with the NAD 2200 that was powering the dalis.   The Dalis like power, and the NAD was more than enough to bring them to life, but fishing around the net i was made aware that the NAD certainly was not the last word in resolution.  That was an itch that i just couldnt scratch...enter the 550ex.

Oddly...the 550 didnt sound as powerfull as the 2200.  It didnt take my breath away like i had hoped.  At that time i was using a Luxman c-383 preamp while i was waiting for my CJ from Bill thalman.   A few days later however, i started to hear some things i hadnt noticed before.  Sound staging was so much more delineated.  Everyone in the band had a place that you could easily pick out with the 2200, but with the 550ex it also added a sort of roundness or dimension.   I thought that the bass had decreased, but what had happened was it became detailed.  I remember in my younger days i had an apartment with my bandmates, and we had a bass drum for a coffee table, and when you would hit this bass drum you would get this big boom, but you would also get the papery thwack.    I was shocked to hear this from the Van alstine.  Everything really does sound real.

Now when i got my CJ back, and after maybe the longest break in period i have ever experienced, i can finally say i have a satisfying system.  Finally after 15 years i have a system that can make a cymbal sound like a real cymbal.  Having a tube preamp rounded out the soundstage so it sounds like music is supposed to sound.

I got a good deal on the 550ex.  So from the beginning i had thought about upgrading to ultra plus double die super duper.  But i have to say i am very happy with the sound so i am in no hurry.  I Cant believe it can sound any better...but i love surprises.

Mr Van alstine....Thank you for building an incredibly good product.  I popped the hood, rolled some tubes, put the originals back in, and marveled at how well built this unit is.   Thanks.    Les Hill 

avahifi

Re: Purchased 550ex..You know the rusty screw model! LOL.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 09:22 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments.

The "rusty screw" issue was resolved years ago by switching vendors.  Of course this one of those things that only show up after the equipment has been in the field for a few years.

Anyone needed replacement hardware, just call us (651-330-9871) and let us know how many and what size replacements you need.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WarOfTheTrees

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 09:56 pm »
I should make it known that the unit showed up with brand new screws, and it looked very nice considering its vintage.

I have over the years owned some pretty decent amplifiers, and integrated s. I own a mcintosh 240 that my brother wont give back, i have a nice scott299d that i rebuilt myself` and i even have a cambridge audio integrated that is nice for what it is.

Im not a rich man, so purchases i make have to be thrifty.  I am so glad that equipment is available of high quality, and reasonable prices.

Makes me wonder how good a Van alstine preamp might sound?

mchuckp

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:53 pm »
Makes me wonder how good a Van alstine preamp might sound?

I can't speak for other AVA preamps, but I have a Transcendence 8+ and it sounds amazing.  I've used it paired with SS and tube amps and both are great matches.  Just depends on how "tubey" you want to be.

Glad the 550 is working great for you.

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2010, 01:40 am »
I am glad you like your 550ex, I have an Ultra which I rarely listen to now. I listen to the Delta 120 and the Omegastar 260 most of the time, don't ask me why. Frank replaced the rusty screws on the Ultra during the upgrade, I didn't know it was a defect, thought it was the normal aging process for steel hardware. All are great amps.

gjs_cds

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:22 am »
...probably because the delta and the omegastar remain very capable amps on their own right...

And congrats on your rusty purchase...  Rust is the only way to go...let someone else take the depreciation-hot for you :)

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:22 pm »

Mr Van alstine....Thank you for building an incredibly good product.  I popped the hood, rolled some tubes, put the originals back in, and marveled at how well built this unit is.   Thanks.    Les Hill

Keep the originals in. The AVA hybrid power amps are not a good candidate for "tube rolling" unless you can re-adjust them afterwards so they operate properly.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:40 pm »
We did test one of our big hybrid power amps with old new stock Telefunken 12AT7 tubes and found that those biased almost exactly the same as with our OEM JJ ECC81 tubes that come factory installed.

Thus you can feel comfortable about swapping to the Telefunkens without screwing the bias settings up, if you can afford the $100+ each price tag for the premium tubes.

In general, they won't make much sonic difference, the tubes in this amp are run in a near ideal operating mode and don't have to do any work.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WarOfTheTrees

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2010, 09:06 pm »
I did roll some some sylvanias and rca's the first day i had the amp, but to me they didnt sound as good as the stock tubes already in the amp.  They had to much emphasis in the midrange. I thought the originals had a nice balanced sound.  I might have some tele's laying around, but i think i used them all up in my preamp.

Its really hard to believe that this thing can be upgraded!  It has such air and dynamics now.  Antbody else upgrade from an ex model?  What did you hear?

s4cabriolet

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:17 am »
If the amp had the case and face plate screws replaced with SS then it was my amp, the original ad with reference to the rusty screws was attempt to be accurate and inject some humor - I sorely regret it.  BTW I have been a loyal customer of Frank's for years and did not intend disrespect.  I will never live this down!

WarOfTheTrees

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:49 am »
Oh no, dont sweat it man.  :lol:

I'm the guy who bought that amp from you.  Thanks, it sounds awesome.  I love it!

I remember reading that ad, and i didnt think you said anything wrong. I only referenced it because i figured others would remember it.

rcag_ils

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:32 pm »
I am thinking about replacing the front screws to stainless myself, it would be a nice touch, but what size are those screws? (too lazy to look it up)

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2010, 09:57 pm »
It is a #10-32 UNF THREAD.

Wayner

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:44 am »
Current stock is from McMaster Car.  #10-32 phillips truss head stainless with black oxide coat.

Regards,
Dean

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:45 am »
It is a #10-32 UNF THREAD.

Thanks, about 1/2" in length?

martyo

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2010, 09:13 am »
Thanks, about 1/2" in length?

The stock screws are 1/4" but the shortest SS 10-32 at McMaster is 3/8".