The Great WyWires Eastern US Cable Tour is about to start...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: The Great WyWires Eastern US Cable Tour is about to start...
« Reply #60 on: 4 Mar 2011, 05:09 am »
I've finished my review and posted it in the Cable Review section since no one veto'd my suggestion that it was most appropriately presented that way.  You can read it here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92136.new#new

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #61 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm »
Got a box of WyWires yesterday, will start sampling them later today.

Phil A

« Reply #62 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:58 pm »
Got a box of WyWires yesterday, will start sampling them later today.

Glad, the next victim got them. :green:  Got there quickly.  I mailed them Saturday from the Post Office.

etcarroll

« Reply #63 on: 5 Apr 2011, 02:59 pm »
OK - between getting taxes done and family dropping in enroute home to BOS from FL, I've not touched the box. Today I'm home alone, so time to begin.

Opened the box, looks like 3 PCs, they'll all be going in, and a pair of ICs w/rca terminations.

Unfortunatly, I can't make make use of the balanced cables, and the speaker cables are too short for my needs, but maybe I'll push speakers over at end to give 'em a try.

wywires

« Reply #64 on: 5 Apr 2011, 03:09 pm »
OK - between getting taxes done and family dropping in enroute home to BOS from FL, I've not touched the box. Today I'm home alone, so time to begin.

Opened the box, looks like 3 PCs, they'll all be going in, and a pair of ICs w/rca terminations.

Unfortunatly, I can't make make use of the balanced cables, and the speaker cables are too short for my needs, but maybe I'll push speakers over at end to give 'em a try.

There should be two pairs of IC's. One is longer than the other.

Alex

etcarroll

« Reply #65 on: 5 Apr 2011, 03:20 pm »
See - that's what happens when I have to use the fingers of more than 1 hand to count. :duh:

There are 2 pair, at 1st glance I thought each bag had 1 really long cable, but it's 2 cables in each of 2 bags, or 2 pair of ic.

Warming up tubes in my phono pre with Romeo Void to get a baseline listen now.

etcarroll

« Reply #66 on: 6 Apr 2011, 02:32 pm »
1st 24 hours;

As I've been collecting vinyl the past year, been upgrading my vinyl playback as a result, and just acquired an EAR 834P tubed phono pre, so started there.

Pulled the Hovland Mainline PC Pumpkinman has lent me, in went a WyWires PC. Nothing spectacular happened, but 1st thing I noticed, a little tighter base, and improved vocals, I use Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira' as reference, and her trailing syllables are cleaner. I think I hear other good stuff, but gonna give it a few days. Tonight I'll put the ic in from phonopre to pre, also a tubed unit.

wywires

« Reply #67 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:32 pm »
Hey Gene,

Hope everything is OK with you since I have not heard from you in a while.

Alex

etcarroll

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:09 pm »
Hi Alex -

Yes, I've been derelict, between starting a new job this past Monday and finishing taxes last night, I hadn't turned on my system from last Sunday night till last night.

To date, I've run through my phono setup, and was half way through SACD testing up to last Sunday night. This weekend I'll finish up SACD and CD testing, and post the results.

Gene

wywires

« Reply #69 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:12 pm »
Hi Alex -

Yes, I've been derelict, between starting a new job this past Monday and finishing taxes last night, I hadn't turned on my system from last Sunday night till last night.

To date, I've run through my phono setup, and was half way through SACD testing up to last Sunday night. This weekend I'll finish up SACD and CD testing, and post the results.

Gene

No Worries...Congrats on the new job! I decided to file an extension which I always do. I was just a bit concerned, and not about the cables.

Alex

etcarroll

« Reply #70 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:21 am »
Finished testing SACD player, CD player next.

There's a chance one of the 2 shorter PCs not working, I put it into SACD player, 1st time I've tried the 2nd shorter PC, and no power. Swapped it with the other shorter PC still in phono-pre, have power in SACD player now, but not phono-pre.

Tomorrow I'll take them both to bench to test further, my phono-pre is finicky about the way the PC sits in the IEC, but SACD has never been an issue before.

Gene
Gene

wywires

« Reply #71 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:09 pm »
Finished testing SACD player, CD player next.

There's a chance one of the 2 shorter PCs not working, I put it into SACD player, 1st time I've tried the 2nd shorter PC, and no power. Swapped it with the other shorter PC still in phono-pre, have power in SACD player now, but not phono-pre.

Tomorrow I'll take them both to bench to test further, my phono-pre is finicky about the way the PC sits in the IEC, but SACD has never been an issue before.

Gene
Gene

Gene, I'll send a new cord out to you today for arrival tomorrow. Please send the offending cord back to me when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Alex

etcarroll

« Reply #72 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:07 pm »
Well, would it be easier to just wait to send it to next person and I send the bad one back to you?

Gene

wywires

« Reply #73 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:25 pm »
Well, would it be easier to just wait to send it to next person and I send the bad one back to you?

Gene

Do you need three PC's to complete your evaluation or is two PC's sufficient? I leave that up to you and it's no trouble for me to express one out to you today.

Thanks,

Alex

etcarroll

« Reply #74 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:10 pm »
Quite frankly, I've just been moving the one from piece to piece. My amp has a hardwired cord, so that's outside my changing.

But, maybe you should send me a replacement just so I can add it to the package so next person gets the complete set.

G.

wywires

« Reply #75 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:18 pm »
Quite frankly, I've just been moving the one from piece to piece. My amp has a hardwired cord, so that's outside my changing.

But, maybe you should send me a replacement just so I can add it to the package so next person gets the complete set.

G.

You got it.  Same address?

A

etcarroll

« Reply #76 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:20 pm »
Yes sir!

etcarroll

« Reply #77 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm »
Yes sir!

Alex - got home, pulled PC onto my bench and attached to some IEC enabled components and it works. Went back to my pre and no power, but the other PC works fine with it.

Like I said, my pre is a little finicky at the IEC connection.

If you haven't sent a new PC out then don't, next user probably wont have an issue .

Phil A

« Reply #78 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm »
Yes some things don't like certain IECs.  I had to take a really expensive Furutech off the cord I made for the Oppo BDP-83 and use a relatively cheap Schurter.  I have a couple of things where I just stuck a small block of scrap wood under the IEC to hold it in tighter.  I only tried one WyWires cord when I had the cables.  I tried it first on the preamp power supple and it fit fine but I heard no difference between my cord and it and then I tried it on my DAC later with the same result.  I have basically everything going into a Torus RM20 conditioner and I did not try anything without going through the conditioner.

wywires

« Reply #79 on: 19 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm »
Gene,

Just back from the post office and a shiny new Juice II is coming to you. This one has the ATL brass plugs that are way better than the Marinco or Wattgates you now have. Hopefully this one will work and it's a newer design. I guess I missed your post while I was gone.

Alex