Mish mash of parts and GR's A/V-0 Box design = amazing sound

Beatcoaster

I just had to post this here, since my Frankenstein speaker creation has no real home on the net.  I used the A/V-0 Box design schematic on Danny's website with a Peerless SDS 6-1/2" woofer, a AV123 X-series tweeter(auction), a Ref-1 crossover network(auction), 1/2" acoustic foam covering the inside, a 2" Precision Port out the back, and I have to say it sounds amazing!  Ever since I mocked up a couple rough mdf cabinets 2 weeks ago I have been tweaking them solely by ear (no rew/mic) and I have to say they are finally dialed.  A little EQ adjustment on the front end and now both movies and music sound awesome in my rectangular 13x15 room.  The low end is extremely surprising on movies, to the point you almost don't need a sub unless you want to feel it.  The box design, allowing those long waves to fulfill their potential before hitting a mdf wall, does just that.  It's true brilliance comes from any vocal /guitar based music - the plucks of each string are amazing.  The only downside is that reflections seem to creep in quite fast at high volumes perhaps due to room, the woofer alignment or the fact the crossover isn't meant for the woofer/tweeter I am running.  I was building these to use some auction x-omni crossovers initially but I found that the ref-1's xover sounds infinetly better.  This to me was quite interesting as I had assumed the x-omni xovers would have some sort of phasing changes in the network or otherwise.  As surrounds these sound great, but do shine as a L/R as well which I hadn't even considered - I was truly surprised, and that's coming from a guy using ls-6's on a daily basis.  On a funny side note, the dog lifted it's head multiple times thinking it was hearing a noise coming outside or from a different direction - the sounds doess envelope you that well, yet does have great imaging to boot.

If anyone doubts the odd woofer layout, don't, just pick up one of Danny's kits and build your own - you won't be dissapointed! I bet those O-3's sound sick!!

Question for Danny:  If I was to mount the woofer undeneath the tweeter, firing forward, would it change things incredibly with regards to bass output and tonality you think? I want to make a few of these speaker sets for some friends as xmas gifts, but knowing their rooms this alignment might not work as well in theirs as it does in mine, so I am questioning if that will alleviate teh reflections and such that I am getting.  I just wanted to get the master's opinion before blowing through another $30 in mdf and a few hours of time...thanks!

flapjack

Re: Mish mash of parts and GR's A/V-0 Box design = amazing sound
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:18 pm »

:nono: :lol:

Beatcoaster

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:33 pm »
Hehe, classic...I am at work right now but will post some up tonight :green:

emac

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm »
Congrats on the Frankenstein project sounding good.  Danny's designs are no joke, and you're quite right that the O-3's sound very, very good.  People really should try these omni-directional designs.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:07 pm »
I don't get to listen to my x-omnis too often.  (Too many speakers!)  But the other night I broke them out and hooked them up to my tube amps.  They sound really good even despite the stock crossovers.  I really need to upgrade them to sonicaps.  Switching back to my ninja'd x-cs' made the difference obvious.

Still, those omnis perform better than you would ever guess by looking at them.

nickd

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm »
I installed a pair of x omni's and X statiks in my son's basement theater that I bought on Audio gon a couple of weeks ago. we went with a 4.1 surround system layout and. :o

I paif $230. for the X omni and $600. for the X static both in mint condition 8) then another $316. to fedex in shipping for all 4 boxes :(

For a grand delivered, this speaker system will blow your mind. We used a newer VSX94 TSX Pioneer Elite 140wpc 7.1 reciever and a used PSB 12" powered sub and his trusty X box for a source some lowes HDMI cables and 100' of monster XP wire. You can get lost in the soundscape. I have heard 100k systems that are no better and in some ways not as good.

I have learned more about the value of well engineered audio products reading here on the A/C in the past year than in my previous 20+ years reading Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. :duh:

Now when a magazine comes with a review of the latest $65,000. loudspeakers i just :rotflmao:

Beatcoaster

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:49 am »
Here are the pics as promised...I love the david and goliath photo with the LS-6's dominating them - hehe

I still need to counter sink the port tube and terminals, and will be making some high gloss black feet for them and wrapping the boxes in a Dayton maple vinyl for this first run before I go get crazy and try to do real veneers...

flapjack

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
Those are tiny next to the LS-6's.  :thumb:

Are you going to leave the speaker as is or load it with the correct drivers and crossover from danny's A/V-0 kit? Just curious...

Will you be veneering/painting the cabinets?

Beatcoaster

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:27 pm »
No doubt, they are truly dwarfed!

I have 20 x-series tweeters and 12 pairs of ref-1 crossovers from the AV123 auction still with zero buyers intersted in these parts, so I will just be using the materials at hand to make these, not buying the real deal for now. 

I had my neighbor over the other night and he was quite literally shocked by them and wants me to make him a pair now too, so the "orders" are already coming in with these parts - haha!! :lol: "It's only those two 6.5"ers making that sound?" is what he said multiple times over...yup!  I will be initially wrapping the cabinets in a Dayton maple vinyl veneer from part-express with a piano black night metallic foot(leftover paint from my chevy c10 restoration project).  I will be trying the band-it sticky back veneers as well if the vinyl looks bad/overly fake...Fun project so far!

Beatcoaster

I finally got my circle jig and made a decent set with some red maple vinyl covering that I am going to give to my neighbor.  Waiting for the last coat of paint to dry on the feet before I give them a wet sand and start the clearcoat process but those look pretty slick as well.  My brother-in-law came over tonight and scoffed that I had bought "more" speakers - until I told him that I made them, then his tone changed - hehe.  I have some various veneers coming (walnut burl, birdseye angire, etimoe) that I am going to now try my hand at with the next set of them.  Here's some photos:

Ref-1 Xover w/ 12 gauge OFC wire - overkill? check...

Cutouts sure are nice now..

Stuffed:

Just gluing the braces for the foot to screw into, crossover board mounted

First run of paint on the feet - it has since been painted and sanded 3 times

Veneer is on and cut - need a lot patience with this stuff at the edges and surfaces have to be dead level with zero dust, dirt, glue, etc or it will show through...

Drivers soldered to the leads and and loaded

Still need to get some black screws, finish the feet, send them across the street, and start the next set! 8)

sl_1800

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:31 pm »
Very nice work, they look grate.  :D

Beatcoaster

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:35 am »
I just finished a set of these for my boss, for Christmas.  It took me about 3 weeks of evenings and weekends to get these cabinets done - raw veneer is an animal, and getting a gloss finish is even worse.  Thank goodness for softeners or else that radius on the front panels never would have happened.  All in all, they turned out amazing and he was blown away with the gift.  Bird's Eye Anigre veneer, laquered and sanded over and over again, then 500, 1000, 2000 and a polishing compound buff with the orbital and a foam pad, and finally a hand wax...The next set will be for my father-in-law, walnut veneer - might try a satin finish this time...:)

skeeter99

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:25 pm »
Man those look gorgeous!! Seriously nice work!! You can ignore my question in the Christmas thread  :lol:

Maybe you could bring a set of your Franken-Omni's to my GTG in January??

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm »
That veneer looks really nice!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:21 pm »
I just finished a set of these for my boss, for Christmas.

WOW.  You must be going for employee of the year...I like my boss but that's over the top.  I hope it works out in the end for you.   :P

skeeter99

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
That veneer looks really nice!

Seriously! Its like the Piano Birds Eye Maple that AV123 used to display for the REF1's, except this looks WAY cooler!! Really amazing work and gorgeous veneer  :thumb:

Beatcoaster

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2010, 10:39 pm »
Thanks guys!

Skeet - Your PM to me was blank, but I will see if I can get another set made soon, PM me again with the GTG details.

skeeter99

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:13 pm »
Thanks guys!

Skeet - Your PM to me was blank, but I will see if I can get another set made soon, PM me again with the GTG details.

Wow don't know what happened with my PM, I just resent the basic jist :)

Those are seriously cool looking. The veneer work is incredible!!

aharami

« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:26 am »
I was debating rounded edges vs square edges for my N3.  I think you just sold rounded edges to me.  Those look really nice!  How much of a roundover did you give on these speakers

Also what veneer and stain (if any) did you use?

Beatcoaster

« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:57 am »
aharami - the roundover is a 1/2".  The finish on the one pictured is just the Dayton Audio Maple vinyl wrap glued onto mdf - no veneer or finish on those ones.  Thanks for the compliments!