Scotch!!

ctviggen

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #260 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:21 am »
I never tried the Glenlivet Nadurra but I have drank the 18yr and enjoy it straight up when I am in the mood for a mellow, smooth scotch.  Most the time I enjoy a peaty and smoky scotch like Lagavulin 16 yr or Laphroaig 10 yr cask strength.

The 18 yo isn't bad.  It's probably their best, other than the Nadurra, which might be better, although I didn't have the 18 and the Nadurra at the same time to compare.   Currently, I have the following (with some initial comments, which are likely to change):

Old Pulteney 17:  This is great.  Very smooth.  I'd rate it in the low 90s.

Signatory Caol Ila 11, 1996:  Very, very good.  Very dry.  An excellent rendition of Caol Ila.  Upper 80s to low 90s.  Here's this one:

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Signatory_Caol_Ila_1996_Vintage_11_Year_Old_Cask_Strength_160800.html

Springbank Bourbon wood:  I think this is also very good, but I need more time with it.

Longrow CV:  Not sure about this.  The briney and peated flavors sometimes don't mix.  I'll reserve judgement until later.  This may be the type of malt where one drink is "Wow, this is great!" and another drink a week later is "I'm not so sure about this". 

Compass Box Hedonism:  Exceedingly good.  Low to mid 90s.  Reminds me of Carsebridge (sp?) 43 yo, although smoother and less fruity.

I have another I've not tried yet. 

After living with these, I'm most impressed with the Caol Ila 11 and the Hedonism. The Longrow grew on me and I'd rate very good.  The Springbank isn't nearly as good as their 10 YO 1997 offering.

I have another four bottles (all halves from a friend) to try. 

As for the glenmorangie, you might want to try the Lasanta, which is also sherry wood aged, similar to the Mac 12. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #261 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:25 am »
i'm about to polish off my bottle of the macallan 12 and i'm looking for a new bottle to try. i'm leaning towards the glenmorangie original or a glenrothes select reserve. anybody have any recommendantions as to which way i should lean?

kevin t

Nothing will be as rich and smooth as the Mac (except another, older Mac).  The Glenmorangie is a much lighter, but still interesting dram, and would get my vote, as would the Glenmorangie 15 or 18.  I'm not a big fan of their port, sherry, or rum finished bottlings, but that's probably because I feel it covers up some of the clove/ginger flavor the 10 and 15 have.

cryoparts

« Reply #262 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:45 am »
i'm about to polish off my bottle of the macallan 12 and i'm looking for a new bottle to try. i'm leaning towards the glenmorangie original or a glenrothes select reserve. anybody have any recommendantions as to which way i should lean?

kevin t

Splurge and get a bottle of Mac 15 or 18.  So nice.

Or, for something completely different, get a bottle of Talisker.

Peace,

Lee

GregC

« Reply #263 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:09 am »
I just had a glass of Oban 14 last night with a Cusano M1 cigar.  Mmmmm... good  aa

kgturner

« Reply #264 on: 13 Feb 2009, 06:18 pm »
so i was walking into the liquor store today all ready to buy a glenmorangie original when out of the corner of my eye i caught a glimpse of a talisker gift box. i remembered cryoparts post and thought it must be fate. the gift box has three 200mL bottles in it. the 10 year old, the distiller's edition, and the 18 year old. i'll be sampling these scotches later this evening.

kevin t

Tyson

« Reply #265 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:00 pm »
so i was walking into the liquor store today all ready to buy a glenmorangie original when out of the corner of my eye i caught a glimpse of a talisker gift box. i remembered cryoparts post and thought it must be fate. the gift box has three 200mL bottles in it. the 10 year old, the distiller's edition, and the 18 year old. i'll be sampling these scotches later this evening.

kevin t

The DE and the 18 are outstanding, some of the best scotch I've ever had.  Enjoy!

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #266 on: 15 Feb 2009, 07:37 pm »
Had a glass of Glenmorangie 10 year old last night with our Valentine Dinner. No ice just the fine taste of the light elegant dram. Sipped very slowly and enjoyed the some what spicy flavor. I can see a bottle at the house in my future.

beachbum

« Reply #267 on: 15 Feb 2009, 07:39 pm »
Had a glass of Glenmorangie 10 year old last night with our Valentine Dinner. No ice just the fine taste of the light elegant dram. Sipped very slowly and enjoyed the some what spicy flavor. I can see a bottle at the house in my future.   aa

Liked it so much i posted twice by mistake

low.pfile

« Reply #268 on: 15 Feb 2009, 08:02 pm »
Wow, this thread has more pages than a jitter thread!

So, being completely clueless on scotch, I almost bought some the other day to have on hand at home-but held off. Thought I'd ask you hard core guys first.

I want something that someone who likes scotch would like rather than the wine/port otherwise available here-but also some scotch newbie (like me) would try. Just one bottle. I'm not looking to stock a bar. Something less than $40.

Would Dalmore 12 be a safe bet? 

Thanks, ed

cryoparts

« Reply #269 on: 15 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm »
Something less than $40.

Macallan 12 is very good, and cheap. 

Also, if you can get "Sheep Dip" (yes, really...) it is a good and inexpensive

Peace,

Lee

Tyson

« Reply #270 on: 16 Feb 2009, 05:14 am »

So, being completely clueless on scotch, I almost bought some the other day to have on hand at home-but held off. Thought I'd ask you hard core guys first.

I want something that someone who likes scotch would like rather than the wine/port otherwise available here-but also some scotch newbie (like me) would try. Just one bottle. I'm not looking to stock a bar. Something less than $40.

Thanks, ed

Dalmore 12 is a good one.  Macallan 12 is better, IMO.

kgturner

« Reply #271 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:19 am »
i'm really enjoying the talisker. i sat on the back deck yesterday afternoon smoking a cigar and enjoying a dram of the 10 and 18. i think i prefer the 10 and the distiller's edition to the 18. the 18 seems a little milk toast to me. it's more mellow than the 10 or DE and lacks the spiciness. it's also missing the smokiness of the other two.

kevin t

beachbum

« Reply #272 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:14 pm »
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year old at a fine spirit shop in the Quarter today large selection of single malts. 49.99 was more that i payed for other single malts except the 30 year old Glenlivet the wife gave me for my birthday. Hopefully it will take me through the madness going on this weekend of Mardi Gras.

kgturner

« Reply #273 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:44 pm »
beachbum:

i live in mobile, alabama and often visit NO for concerts, mini-vacations, and such. the selection here is fairly sparse. i've only found one liquor store that has a decent selection (and by decent i mean they have 3 more scotches than the state run liquor store). anywho, what's the name of the liquor store in the Quarter you're referring to? i might hit them up next time i'm in NO.

kevin t

beachbum

« Reply #274 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:31 am »
kgturner its called Vieux Carre' Wine & Spirits 422 Chartres St (504) 568-9463. Located behind the Louisiana Supreme Court bldg. next to Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen restaurant. They had a number of Glenmorangies that Tyson has msntioned and  i would say a large selection of single malts. Not this weekend though total madness down there from now till Fat Tuesday.

kgturner

« Reply #275 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:07 pm »
just picked up a bottle of the glenrothes select reserve for my long weekend of family and mardi gras parades. i must say i'm unimpressed. at first blush, the glenrothes is WAY too sweet and fruity for me. maybe i've become too acclimated to the taste of the talisker i've been drinking lately. it's just way too sweet with nothing else going on. maybe a smidge of spice and just a hint of vanilla. i'll report back when i'm finished with the bottle.

kevin t

Tyson

« Reply #276 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:44 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the distillery bottlings from Glenrothes.  However, if you get a chance to try an independent bottler, it's much better.  If you like Talisker, give Bowmore a shot.  Less pepper, but a lot of peat and a slight touch of sulfer make it quite interesting.

low.pfile

« Reply #277 on: 21 Feb 2009, 12:51 am »

Thanks, ed

Thanks for the thread and responses I ordered some Dalmore 12 for this round. ed

beachbum

« Reply #278 on: 22 Feb 2009, 06:53 pm »
kgturner where are you parading. I know Mobile is the first place parades started for carnival way back in the 1850s. Do you guys have  weekend madness now in Mobile also before Fat Tuesday. Single malt really goes well with carnival along with most else.
Throw me something mister.......

kgturner

« Reply #279 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:21 am »
beachbum:

my family and i usually only catch the parades downtown on the sunday before mardi gras day. it's called Joe Cain day in mobile. i'm not sure if the day has any signicance in new orleans. it gets hectic here, but nothing like what i've seen in new orleans before.

this year my wife is skating in two parades on mardi gras day as she's a member of the local roller derby team so i'll be back downtown again.

kevin t