Preparing for the BDP-1

c_note

Preparing for the BDP-1
« on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:45 am »
Guys, I'm a newbie to ripping cd's to my hard drive, so any advice is kindly appreciated.  I recently bought a new iMac and am in the process of ripping much of my cd collection to iTunes using Apple Lossless conversion.  Within the next six months I plan to buy a BDP-1, using multiple thumb drives to access my cd collection.  I currently listen to cd's thru a Bryston BCD-1 and Bryston mono-blocks, so I'm used to good sound.

My question is, how good is Apple Lossless for this ripping process?  Even on my iMac and my car stereo I can tell a very clear difference between Lossless and regular compressed downloads.  Apple Lossless is clearly fine for iTunes, but is it good enough for preparing for the BDP-1?  I've heard other people here mention Exact Audio Copy software and the RipNAS systems...exactly how do they differ from Apple Lossless?  Are they worth the time, trouble, expense, etc. to re-rip my cd collection?  Are there other options I should be investigating?

James, does Bryston have an official point of view on a preferred approach for ripping a cd library to use with the BDP-1?  If not, I would suggest developing one, as I'm sure many people are as confused as I am!  :D

Thanks in advance!

Stu Pitt

Re: Preparing for the BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:02 am »
I've tried Apple Lossless, FLAC and WAV, and heard no difference between the three.  I've tried them as CDs (compared to the original), streamed, and stored on my Apple TV's hard drive.

Exact Audio Copy (EAC) may make a difference.  Haven't tried it.  If ripping using iTunes, make sure you use error correction.  It takes a few minutes longer, but it's not that much longer.

A cleaner CD rips easier.  I clean them with Pledge Anti-Static (the electronics one that's non-aerosol).  They sound far better than way in the CDP and ripped.  Sounds stupid, but it works.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2010, 11:00 am »
I use DBPoweramp, http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ .

It basically is EAC, but with a nice all-in-one shell. It costs a few dollars, but I for one think it is worth it.

whanafi

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2010, 11:08 am »
I use DBPoweramp, http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ .

It basically is EAC, but with a nice all-in-one shell. It costs a few dollars, but I for one think it is worth it.
I second that - simply the easiest and most accurate way to capture data off the CD.

Would also recommend MP3Tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html) for managing the resulting files - it allows you to clean up the meta data - tags - as well as source cover art and do auto-renaming on files.

KeithA

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:26 pm »
Similar experiences here......

I have tried FLAC and WAV and there's no difference there.

As far as EAC goes, I am currently using it but I don't find any difference from when I ripped all of my music originally using Windows Media Player (WAV-uncompressed). When I originally ripped using Windows Media, the Logitech software that's used with the Squeezebox would sort the songs (even on albums) alphabetically. So, I'm noe re-ripping using EAC and it allows me to use a naming convention for songs that keeps the songs in the 'album' order when using the Logitech software.

Long story short, EAC works great for ripping and is more convenient to use, in my experience anyway. However, no difference whatsoever in sound quality using EAC vs other products.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2010, 04:49 pm »
Hi Folks

I typically use FLAC - I have been told WAVE has issues with Metadata - true?

James

srb

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2010, 04:52 pm »
I typically use FLAC - I have been told WAVE has issues with Metadata - true?

It doesn't have "issues" with metadata - it simply doesn't have a metadata file header and contains no tags.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2010, 04:59 pm »

It doesn't have "issues" with metadata - it simply doesn't have a metadata file header and contains no tags.

Steve

Hi Steve - thanks - so if you rip your CD's usings dbpoweramp, as I do,  it attaches the album cover and song list automatically and shows up when I use our interface with the BDP-1.  So would WAVE behave the same or do I have an extra step to concern myself with when ripping CD's?

james

bummrush

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:06 pm »
 I never used error corr,but will now as per what Stu says,

srb

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:17 pm »
Hi Steve - thanks - so if you rip your CD's usings dbpoweramp, as I do,  it attaches the album cover and song list automatically and shows up when I use our interface with the BDP-1.  So would WAVE behave the same or do I have an extra step to concern myself with when ripping CD's?

I use iTunes, and when I rip CD's in iTunes, it stores the tag info for WAV files in the iTunes database because the WAV file can't store it within itself.  If I try to use these WAV files in another player, there are no tags (no album, artist, composer, genre or artwork), only the song name (filename).

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:21 pm »

I use iTunes, and when I rip CD's in iTunes, it stores the tag info for WAV files in the iTunes database because the WAV file can't store it within itself.  If I try to use these WAV files in another player, there are no tags (no album, artist, composer, genre or artwork), only the song name (filename).

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks - by the way I downloaded the new iTunes on my Mac Pro laptop and for the life of me I can not figure out how to transfer the songs from iTunes to my USB thumbdrive?

james

srb

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:31 pm »
Thanks - by the way I downloaded the new iTunes on my Mac Pro laptop and for the life of me I can not figure out how to transfer the songs from iTunes to my USB thumbdrive?

There isn't a specific function for copying to a USB drive in iTunes.  Using Windows, I simply either drag and drop selected files into a folder on the USB drive, or copy and paste them.  I don't imagine it would be any different on the Mac.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:36 pm »

There isn't a specific function for copying to a USB drive in iTunes.  Using Windows, I simply either drag and drop selected files into a folder on the USB drive, or copy and paste them.  I don't imagine it would be any different on the Mac.

Steve

Yes Windows works fine for me as well - what seems to be happening is the new iTunes on the MAC will not let me transfer files to another drive without a $25.00 add on program?  Guess I need to talk to a MAC guy :oops:

james

james

srb

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:40 pm »
Yes Windows works fine for me as well - what seems to be happening is the new iTunes on the MAC will not let me transfer files to another drive without a $25.00 add on program?

That doesn't make sense.  Perhaps the Mac iTunes is not supporting drag and drop?  Have you tried selecting files, then using Edit > Copy from the menu and then trying to Paste them into the drive?

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2010, 06:14 pm »
Yes Windows works fine for me as well - what seems to be happening is the new iTunes on the MAC will not let me transfer files to another drive without a $25.00 add on program?  Guess I need to talk to a MAC guy :oops:

james

james
James,
You can drag and drop from within iTunes.  Open iTunes; Open the thumb drive with Finder; Select the songs you want and drag them over.  I am using iTunes 10.0.1(22).  I think that is the latest.
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2010, 06:17 pm »
James,
You can drag and drop from within iTunes.  Open iTunes; Open the thumb drive with Finder; Select the songs you want and drag them over.  I am using iTunes 10.0.1(22).  I think that is the latest.
Tony

Ok will give it a try.

james

IT WORKED - THANKS :thumb:

klao

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:06 pm »
Hi James,

If I place the BDP-1 next to an external DAC, would there be any difference to use AES/EBU (XLR) vs SPDIF (BNC/RCA) digital wires?  Thanks.

Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:07 pm »
Hi James,

If I place the BDP-1 next to an external DAC, would there be any difference to use AES/EBU (XLR) vs SPDIF (BNC/RCA) digital wires?  Thanks.

Klao

Hi Klao,

Yes use the AES-EBU as it is balanced and has twice the voltage swing of the BNC or SPDIF.  Also the AES-EBU cable should be 110 Ohms.

james

klao

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:25 pm »
Technically, the signal and data (resolutions) in both types of cables are the same, but the AES/EBU might have the edge in terms of sonics because higher voltage and better noise rejection in noisy environment, correct?  :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:27 pm »
Technically, the signal and data (resolutions) in both types of cables are the same, but the AES/EBU might have the edge in terms of sonics because higher voltage and better noise rejection in noisy environment, correct?  :roll:

Correct - that's how I understand it as well.

james