NEW TECH FROM MODWRIGHT - PLEASE READ!!!!!

dminches

Re: NEW TECH FROM MODWRIGHT - PLEASE READ!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:02 pm »
If one doesn't own a MW Transporter this is a great idea. 

What is the advantage of BNC over S/PDIF?  Less jitter?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:15 pm »
If one doesn't own a MW Transporter this is a great idea. 

What is the advantage of BNC over S/PDIF?  Less jitter?

BNC is S/PDIF.  The choices here are RCA and BNC.  The BNC connection is true 75 ohm and better signal transfer and correct impedance.  Not a huge issue but the proper details all add up.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:21 pm »
I agree with the choice of a BNC connector.  If you're not going to "do it right" (i.e., your source doesn't have a BNC output), then get an RCA to BNC coax cable or use an RCA to BNC adapter.

Steve

sfig

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:45 pm »
I would need either firewire or usb.  I'm currently looking at various choices but any dac would need to get to my mac to meet my needs moving forward.

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2010, 04:07 pm »
Thank you for your feedback.  A SPDIF input is not a problem and we can install either RCA or BNC, based on customer preference.  The PCB will be wired to the connector via 75ohm coax, so we can use either connector.

RE the max, I believe that most MACs DO have an SPDIF output as well as firewire.

Thanks!  Now on to implementation!

Dan

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2010, 04:49 pm »
Now you have my interest in your mods again, wanted to get an Modded Oppo but also wanted something that I could connect my computer to. As long as I would be able to get a 24/192 signal to the DAC with the least amount of degradation to the signal I'm interested. Keep us posted Dan.

rhyno

« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:27 am »
for everyone who wants USB, why not just use any of the sub $300 USB to SPDIF converter options out there for better performance than any USB dac will offer?

dan, so if i understand, there will be a digital input (RCA or BNC) added to any modwright digital product?  even if the modded product already has an upgraded clock that you installed?

one final question: can you add more than 1 input?

do post when its ready. sounds like a fantastic idea.

chuckm

« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2010, 05:17 am »
Dan,

The newest Mac's only support USB.

srb

« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2010, 05:22 am »
RE the max, I believe that most MACs DO have an SPDIF output as well as firewire.

The new Mac Mini does have an S/PDIF output, but it is an optical Mini Toslink, not a coaxial digital.

Steve

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:01 pm »
I would much rather see a Firewire interface than USB.

Firewire yes :)

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:06 pm »
Dan,

I believe limited only to the new MacBook Air.

dave

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:17 pm »

The new Mac Mini does have an S/PDIF output, but it is an optical Mini Toslink, not a coaxial digital.

Steve

and severely limited in sample rate.  A Modwright installed USB or firewire interface would need more work (and cost) than going S/PDIF and leaving any USB or firewire connections up to a separate interface box (i.e hiface, Evo, wavelink, etc etc).

chuckm

« Reply #32 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm »
Virtually all the newest chipset and mb designs are using only USB 3.0. Debates of merit aside.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm »
USB 2.0 has gobs of bandwidth for music.  All asynch code (like Gordon's) is USB 2.0; the newer 3.0 is not necessary.

michael123

« Reply #34 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:14 am »
1) How clock can be beneficial for Transporter?
2) How multiple sampling rates are handled in this case?
3) How about Audiocom Ultra Clock module? Isn't it the best today? (well, except for Antelope Atomic Clock)

chuckm

« Reply #35 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:46 am »
Agree completely on 2.0 bandwidth, it was only a note what is being designed.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:54 am »
Agree completely on 2.0 bandwidth, it was only a note what is being designed.
Ahh sorry.  Good point.

modwright

« Reply #37 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:16 am »
Hi guys, I will likely keep it simple and offer either BNC or RCA.  Possibly AES/EBU, but no computer interface.

I am working on it and will share more as information becomes available.

Thanks,

Dan W.

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
Hi guys, OK, here is where we are at right now. Your feedback and level of interest will help me to decide which way to go:

USB is not a feasible option to offer as part of this digital input offering. (I do plan to offer it with our own DAC at which time its design is complete however).
SP-DIF via RCA and/or BNC and also AES/EBU are not a problem.
The best way to connect USB would be via ANY outboard USB-RCA(SP-DIF) converter.

THE REASON I say this is because I am considering contracting a design that will keep jitter levels to the 5ps level, thanks to reclocking AT the digital input interface, rather than just relying on the input receiver to handle clock data.  This module will be configurable for both Sony 5400ES and Oppo BDP-83/83SE (to start with) and will output I2S data, allowing us to implement this in virtually ANY player in the future.

I plan to offer a physical toggle or selector swith on the rear of the unit that will allow you to select between digital input formats: i.e. RCA, BNC, AES/EBU, optical, etc.

Right now, I estimate the cost of this upgrade - WITH custom reclocking circuit onboard digital input circuit - to be in the $750 range, including upgrade module, installed in your player.  If we were just to use a digital input receiver (jitter in the 200ps range) to reclock the data, then I would expect the cost to be less than $500.

To be clear, the re-clocking of this digital input circuit is NOT the same as the player's master clock.  The master clock in the unit is going to be different, because the player is decoding PCM, DSD (SACD), Blue-Ray (Oppo), etc.  The clock in this input will ONLY be treating the digital signal coming into the player, to feed the player's DAC and our analog stage.

The REASON that this clocking circuit is important, is because the digital input circuit will be virtually immune to jitter levels entering the player.  The use of digital processing and buffering will allow for this to happen.  And, you can also use any external USB-SPDIF converter without worrying about the quality of sound due to the shortcomings of the USB interface.

I had the pleasure of hearing a DAC design that Ted Smith - moderator of other forums on the net (not the person whom I am contracting with) - designed as a labor of love.  The designed involved a FULLY DISCRETE DAC - i.e. not a chip, but built from FIRST PRINCIPLES with discrete components.  What I found interesting however, was that he used a VERY inexpensive USB-SPDIF converter to send music from his laptop to his DAC.  We listened to hi-rez and redbook formats and the design was SO GOOD that the difference between Redbook and hi-rez was startling.  When asked about the USB interface, his reply was that because the data was buffered and clocked internal to the DAC, external jitter was NOT an issue.  The overall sound of this design was simply staggering and I do hope that Ted pursues it on a commercial basis.  If he does however, it will NOT be cheap!!!

I know there is much debate on this subject of clocking, digital interfaces and jitter. From a design standpoint, I want to express our approach and also price as it relates to our cost.

Final question then, by a 'show of hands', how many people are interested?  We will likely offer a pre-order special at a discounted price.

I am poised to proceed, but the investment is non-trivial.  I want to do it RIGHT and I need to know that there is sufficient demand for us to proceed in this particular direction.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Dan W.
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.

rhyno

« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:14 am »
i'm in for the full monty. adding digital inputs to the sony leaves me only 1 question: where to buy spare laser assemblies.

rhyno